Lilly at hospital, kidneys and liver

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
[MENTION=322]LillyNBruin[/MENTION]

Here's the thing. Until the animal has lost 75% of its function, it's business as usual. There is nothing noticeable going on. It's only when 3/4 of the nephrons are dead or damaged do symptoms appear. So things could be fine and suddenly change. Abby was born with the disease so it was always noticeable but I have spoken to many people dealing with CKD and most say the bottom dropped out almost over night.

That cost does seem ridiculously high. Abby's IV flush hospitalization was less than 1000.00 and she was critical when she got there. She was having seizures and high blood pressure so it was more than just the fluids.

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I did and what I experienced. Abby wasn't uncomfortable at all. It was only the last week of her life that she wasn't my spunky, spiteful little sweetie head. The last week is when the seizures started then came the hospitalization. I can tell you that she wasn't in any pain other than from the infection that triggered the end. She was in excruciating pain for a couple of hours, but once she was medicated she healed as best she could and the pain was gone. If she had been suffering in any way I would have stopped it sooner.

As for the subQ's, that was our special time. Even Otis knew to stay away. It was the end to all our days. Every night I would bring her up on the bed with me, start the IV and she would lay with her head on my lap for the half an hour or so that it took for the fluids to drip. I would talk to her, read to her or we would just sit and watch tv. I would feed her Cheerios and I KNOW that she was happy. There is no pain with administering the subQ fluids. The needle goes under the skin and as long as she lays still it goes pretty quickly. The size of the needle determines how fast the drip is but the bigger the needle the bigger the prick when inserting it. 20 gauge is the middle and what most people use. Abby was small so I preferred to use 19. The last month we did twice a day. That was a little more difficult but still not annoyingly so. She got her needle while I got dressed in the morning but by then she was an expert and knew not to move. The only thing to be careful of is to not give too much.

You would know if her kidneys were so far gone that it couldn't be managed. There would be skin discoloration, loss of hair and appetite. There would be vomiting, seizures and bloody diarrhea. Other organs would start to shut down. Death from kidney disease isn't pretty but life with it can be inspiring.

My computer time lately is very limited so I may not see any new questions unless I'm tagged or mentioned and get the notification. But my cell phone number is in my profile. PLEASE call or text me and let me know what they say today.
You're in my prayers today as you get new test results. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I hope with the dawn of the new day, you are getting better news and have a little more hope for some kind of recovery for your sweet baby. I am thinking of you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] might have a hospital to recommend.... she is in the Boston area.

@LillyNBruin heavy prayers heading your way! :hug:

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Dear Ashley, it is sad that finances have to play a role in the care of our pets.

NO...you are not a monster and for most of us, it's the harsh reality.

I am on disability and take care of Mother, on disability also...we have bills, there
is no extras. I can offer a great home w/quality food & regular Vet care & nail
trims, etc (because I spend for no other hobbies, cut my own hair & Mother's, etc)
but if serious illness hit my bully or cat then I'd have no option but putting them to
sleep. I rescue or rehome so I give a dog needing a home a great home but can't
do more than that if emergency happens. It is what it is and the best I can do.

You are supported here, Ashley...no guilt or judgement on your decisions.

Please let us know how Lily is doing, I'm (& EBN) keeping y'all in prayers, dear one.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
@Twice Thank you for all of that information. I will definitely ask about the UTI, because at this point none of us have an idea of what caused it. He used the term chronic kidney disease but her symptoms just do not point to that. It was very sudden. There wasn't any significant increase in thirst or urination (the only thing I can think of is about a month ago she started what I thought was a new quirk where I would get up to take her out for her a.m. pee and I would open the gate, she'd walk out, walk back in and take a drink of water, then be ready to go...that's the only increase in thirst), her bladder control was good (at the most 4 times a day, which i didn't think was alot) no loss of appetite up until this past weekend when she was vomiting intermittently, and she wasn't lethargic until this past weekend. All of this to me points to ARF. I just don't get it. If it is ARF can't this be fixed with flushing the system and then diet. Not that I can afford to leave her in there for 3 days. It's coming to about $1000 a day. I hate that money is a factor at all, but I really cannot afford a $3-$5k bill. Doesn't that sound oddly high? She is at Tufts, which I've heard is ridiculously pricey (if anyone in the New England area knows a cheaper place please let me know, I'm at about $1500 now) I'm really thinking that what it comes down to is either letting her go or taking her home, managing the best we can and hope for the best. Really if her kidneys are so far gone and there's no managing it where she won't be comfortable anyways I can let her go, not easily and it will be hard and sad, but I can't allow her to be uncomfortable. In regards to Subq fluids...does that involve several times a day? We're at work 8 hours a day, and I only have so much time I can take off. I hate that all of this is a factor, I absolutely feel like a horrible monster. This is the first time I'm experiencing a loss of a pet/major incident as an adult. All my other experiences were with my parents worrying about the financial aspect and time. I seriously don't think I will be getting any other animals after this. This is too heartbreaking.

I'm so sorry to hear about Lilly! Sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery! I go to the VCA North Main Street in Brockton and see Maryanne Sefchuck, she's great and very knowledgeable with bulldogs! They aren't an overnight hospital but if you are looking for a second opinion I definitely recommend her! Whenever I've needed to go to the ER with my guys I go to either Angell Memorial or VCA Hospital in Weymouth, both are great! Keep us posted with sweet Lilly!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I know it's been a few weeks, but I haven't been able to bring myself to type it or talk about it. We had to put Lilly down on 10/4/13. Thank you everyone. I really don't know what else to say. Sorry I took so long to post it. I've been avoiding everyone in my life like the plague just so I haven't had to discuss it. And also hovering over Bruin even worse than I was with the both of them.

Thank you EBN

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Praying hard for you and Lily!! Bogey is in the hospital now too for undetermined illness. Waiting on blood work. Will keep everyone posted. Good luck!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
So sorry to hear about your sweet Lilly. I'll be praying for you. Hugs from Ruthie and me.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
This is a very sad day for EBN. This is the second death I am reading about. I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:sorry:I'm so sorry, I didn't see this post before today, sorry I missed it. I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Lily, my heart goes out to you having to make such a sad and heart breaking decision. Sending you big hugs, lots of love, and prayers. RIP sweet Lily.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I'm so very sorry for your loss, hoping you find comfort in your time of need. May she RIP. My deepest condolences.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ashley I'm so very sorry to hear about Lilly... I was wondering what had happened, and believe me I do understand what you are going thru. Please know that many of us have been thru this, you are NOT alone!!! Sending prayers & hugs to you and your family... :cry:

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
So sorry to hear this! sending prayers for you and your family, also praying for peace and comfort during this difficult time, as mentioned many of us have been thru this so there are lots here that do understand and sometimes even though hard it does help to talk about it! Hugs!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.