Thread: Lilly at hospital, kidneys and liver

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lilly at hospital, kidneys and liver

hugsssssssssssssss....you all are in my thoughts and prayers!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I will continue to pray for you and lily.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We will keep you and Lily in our thoughts and sending prayers to you both!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Looks like twice gave you some great information and potential topics to discuss with the vet. It is nice in these stressful situations to have people that you trust giving you insight. Loki sean and I will keep praying and sending thoughts of well wishes your way!
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Will keep praying for good news.

Pls don't forget that we're always here.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry for you and Lily. Sending positive and healing thoughts!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We keep you and Lily in our thoughts and prayers

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear this. May all be well

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

@Twice Thank you for all of that information. I will definitely ask about the UTI, because at this point none of us have an idea of what caused it. He used the term chronic kidney disease but her symptoms just do not point to that. It was very sudden. There wasn't any significant increase in thirst or urination (the only thing I can think of is about a month ago she started what I thought was a new quirk where I would get up to take her out for her a.m. pee and I would open the gate, she'd walk out, walk back in and take a drink of water, then be ready to go...that's the only increase in thirst), her bladder control was good (at the most 4 times a day, which i didn't think was alot) no loss of appetite up until this past weekend when she was vomiting intermittently, and she wasn't lethargic until this past weekend. All of this to me points to ARF. I just don't get it. If it is ARF can't this be fixed with flushing the system and then diet. Not that I can afford to leave her in there for 3 days. It's coming to about $1000 a day. I hate that money is a factor at all, but I really cannot afford a $3-$5k bill. Doesn't that sound oddly high? She is at Tufts, which I've heard is ridiculously pricey (if anyone in the New England area knows a cheaper place please let me know, I'm at about $1500 now) I'm really thinking that what it comes down to is either letting her go or taking her home, managing the best we can and hope for the best. Really if her kidneys are so far gone and there's no managing it where she won't be comfortable anyways I can let her go, not easily and it will be hard and sad, but I can't allow her to be uncomfortable. In regards to Subq fluids...does that involve several times a day? We're at work 8 hours a day, and I only have so much time I can take off. I hate that all of this is a factor, I absolutely feel like a horrible monster. This is the first time I'm experiencing a loss of a pet/major incident as an adult. All my other experiences were with my parents worrying about the financial aspect and time. I seriously don't think I will be getting any other animals after this. This is too heartbreaking.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@LillyNBruin

Here's the thing. Until the animal has lost 75% of its function, it's business as usual. There is nothing noticeable going on. It's only when 3/4 of the nephrons are dead or damaged do symptoms appear. So things could be fine and suddenly change. Abby was born with the disease so it was always noticeable but I have spoken to many people dealing with CKD and most say the bottom dropped out almost over night.

That cost does seem ridiculously high. Abby's IV flush hospitalization was less than 1000.00 and she was critical when she got there. She was having seizures and high blood pressure so it was more than just the fluids.

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I did and what I experienced. Abby wasn't uncomfortable at all. It was only the last week of her life that she wasn't my spunky, spiteful little sweetie head. The last week is when the seizures started then came the hospitalization. I can tell you that she wasn't in any pain other than from the infection that triggered the end. She was in excruciating pain for a couple of hours, but once she was medicated she healed as best she could and the pain was gone. If she had been suffering in any way I would have stopped it sooner.

As for the subQ's, that was our special time. Even Otis knew to stay away. It was the end to all our days. Every night I would bring her up on the bed with me, start the IV and she would lay with her head on my lap for the half an hour or so that it took for the fluids to drip. I would talk to her, read to her or we would just sit and watch tv. I would feed her Cheerios and I KNOW that she was happy. There is no pain with administering the subQ fluids. The needle goes under the skin and as long as she lays still it goes pretty quickly. The size of the needle determines how fast the drip is but the bigger the needle the bigger the prick when inserting it. 20 gauge is the middle and what most people use. Abby was small so I preferred to use 19. The last month we did twice a day. That was a little more difficult but still not annoyingly so. She got her needle while I got dressed in the morning but by then she was an expert and knew not to move. The only thing to be careful of is to not give too much.

You would know if her kidneys were so far gone that it couldn't be managed. There would be skin discoloration, loss of hair and appetite. There would be vomiting, seizures and bloody diarrhea. Other organs would start to shut down. Death from kidney disease isn't pretty but life with it can be inspiring.

My computer time lately is very limited so I may not see any new questions unless I'm tagged or mentioned and get the notification. But my cell phone number is in my profile. PLEASE call or text me and let me know what they say today.
    You're in my prayers today as you get new test results. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I hope with the dawn of the new day, you are getting better news and have a little more hope for some kind of recovery for your sweet baby. I am thinking of you.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

@LillyNBruin Still praying for you and Lilly. Hope she gets better!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads