Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A new problem

Chris, like very one mentioned it maybe nothing, or could be arthritis setting into the joints. I'd also check her nails, see if maybe she broke one. I will say I had a cocker spaniel, who was so overbred, she had bone deterioration very bad, and jumped off of my bed onto the floor, and broke a hip. I knew as soon as she landed it was serious, so it could be anything or nothing. I'd suggest checking her nails, and then wonder if it may arthritis. If it continues, and nothing makes sense, I'd definitely get her checked out by her vet. Definitely not trying to alarm you, but i've been at both sides of the spectrum. Just some ideas.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    Thanks guys. She is doing a little better tonight. @Sheena, I found the doggie aspirin at a high-end pet food store yesterday. She hated them but a little cheese works wonders. It has to be given on a full stomach. I live for the worry-free days with this little girl. They don't happen often.
    If the cheese even fails.... fat-free vanilla ice cream is always a winner
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sheldon's does that too he has a muscle cramp so when he gets up and limps I go over and massage it and he is all better

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Punkin hurt his leg by doing his chicken scratch kicks, which he does everytime he does his business. It took a couple of days for his walking to get back to normal. Maybe Mabel injured it this way? There's plenty of other ways they can hurt themselves, even if they're not active ... like humans!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    It may be nothing, I would just keep an eye on it for a few days, some of mine have done this from time to time and they are fine.
    Thanks, David. She is actually much better today, but we were starting to worry. I noticed today that she was lying with both legs behind her, which she hadn't done since the limping started. I think it may be a patellar problem. She pulled her leg away when I went over her knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Aww poor Mabel... I have no advice, but maybe the supplements like @Chumley said!!! Sending prayers...
    We are going to start her on supplements. She obviously has mobility problems and little flare ups like this might be avoided.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Does Mabel like peanut butter? I have to give Sally a Proin pill each morning (it's for bladder control) and she scoops it up. She wouldn't touch PB when we got her though.
    She LOVES peanut butter. I give her low fat/low sodium. Personally I wouldn't touch the healthy stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Punkin hurt his leg by doing his chicken scratch kicks, which he does everytime he does his business. It took a couple of days for his walking to get back to normal. Maybe Mabel injured it this way? There's plenty of other ways they can hurt themselves, even if they're not active ... like humans!
    I so wish she did the "chicken scratch kicks," but she gets off the grass ASAP after pooping. I think she doesn't like the feel of it on her feet. Our bullmastiffs used to do those kicks and our yard looked like a mine field. Actually, it WAS a mind field.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRN View Post
    I so wish she did the "chicken scratch kicks," but she gets off the grass ASAP after pooping. I think she doesn't like the feel of it on her feet. Our bullmastiffs used to do those kicks and our yard looked like a mine field. Actually, it WAS a mind field.
    Wilson has a killer chicken scratch. He did one tonight that I think was his personal best. Grass and mud was flying and then he'd hop a few feet, get into a stance and stair off with Jack and start it all over again. I think I lost a section of sod.

If she's pulling her leg away I would think she has some sort of pain there too. Sally has a section on her rear leg that she does not like stretched out, she yanks back pretty fast. Doesn't seem to be in pain so who knows what happened before we got her. Glad Mabel seems a bit better today.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads