cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have noticed that Tate seems to sleep so much these days. I know bulldogs love their sleep but I guess I'm concerned b/c it seems excessive to me (or maybe i'm just noticing it more). For instance, on Sunday he woke up at around 6am, we did our morning walk, then came home for breakfast. We played a little at home then around 11:30am he napped til 4:30pm, straight. I then went to bed to lay down and Tate slept again with me for another 1.5hrs. Got up for dinner, played, and by 9pm he was out again til 5:30am today. He's crated all day while i'm working so i'm assuming he's sleeping a lot then as well.

Tonight, after dinner, in between playing, he will lay down and take mini-snoozes, then get up again to play.

Just not sure if he's depressed or if he truly does need this much sleep? I'm considering taking him to the vet's to get checked out but maybe i'm just being a worry wart over this and it's perfectly normal? He is 2 year and 8 months old currently, a little overweight (I'm trying to cut back on his food a little), and other than the sleep, he doesn't show signs of anything out of the ordinary.

What do you guys think?

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I was on vacation this past week and noticed tubby sleeps a lot too. Same thing, wake up eat walk and he's out cold again. The only time he really woke up was to find a new spot to sleep. I think it's pretty normal. If i had to guess out of the 24 hours of the day he's maybe awake for 5 of them lol Tubby is turning 1 in 19 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sheldon sleeps alot but for every hour he is asleep he spends double playing with the other two animals or playing for a few minutes in the back yard.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bullie who is 5 years old sleeps/lays about 22 hours a day. She's a lazy dog.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki sleeps a lot too! Probably about 18 hours a day if we have a lazy day. If we are up doing something chances are he is up too wondering what's going on. Hopefully its nothing and he is just a sleepy boy :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I think it's pretty normal, my two guys sleep a lot during the day too. I haven't actually timed how many hours in a day they actually sleep and how many they are awake, but I'll keep track one day, and let you know how many hours they sleep.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley is about the same age as Tate -- he'll be 3 the day after Christmas. I get him up at 6, we walk, play, he eats, we walk again, then I go upstairs to work (I work at home) at about 7:30...and he lays down for a nap. I don't know if he's actually asleep though, because let one out of the ordinary sound happen outside -- or inside -- and he's up and barking! I take him out again to tinkle about 2, then we play a bit and then a walk later in the afternoon. He likes to take an afternoon nap, but I have to be home and downstairs for him to do that...maybe he wants me to hear the snoring! Then he's up and roaming before and after dinner...another walk and then at about 8 pm -- you can almost tell time by him...he gets really cranky, barking, carrying on...then finds a place to lay...next thing I know, he's snoring away. He usually stays like that until I wake him up to take him out before I go to bed at 10-10:30. Then he decides where he's going to sleep and that's it until I wake him up the next morning. I'm a light sleeper and I can hear that sometimes he'll move to a different chair or lay on the ottoman or couch...and then it's back to sleep!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Henny I have noticed now that Brutus is getting older ( 2 ) He is sleeping more than he used to! I don't think its anything to worry about! Maybe he is depressed and just wants to come to NJ to see Auntie Roe :)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie is odd. If me and her dad are up, she's up. If we go to sleep, she's asleep. She won't just go somewhere and lay down on her own. She will fight sleep until we go to bed or just lounge on the couch, then she will crash. She sleeps most of the day away though while we are at work. I try to keep her awake and tucker her out once I get home, but that usually isn't a problem cause if I'm moving, she's moving.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Henny I think it's perfectly normal... My Bella went thru fazes of sleeping like all day for a couple of days, and then was running around like crazy the next day!!! Maybe he's just exhausted... :hug2:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, thanks for all the informative replies! I feel a little better. I think it's cuz i also compare Tate to Finn who is so hyper-active at times...like he's high on caffeine! LOL.
Tate still gets those big bursts of energy and play time and walks well and all that but i guess with age too they will start to slow down.
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION], i can just picture us doing an across-country road trip to NJ to visit you guys! that would be so much fun!! maybe one day...

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Well, thanks for all the informative replies! I feel a little better. I think it's cuz i also compare Tate to Finn who is so hyper-active at times...like he's high on caffeine! LOL.
Tate still gets those big bursts of energy and play time and walks well and all that but i guess with age too they will start to slow down.
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION], i can just picture us doing an across-country road trip to NJ to visit you guys! that would be so much fun!! maybe one day...

Lol that would be quite the adventure for you 3 lol I think Tate and Finn would love NJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@ChanelnBrutus, i can just picture us doing an across-country road trip to NJ to visit you guys! that would be so much fun!! maybe one day...

Roe... holy crap, you and I can do a road trip to LA nad then fly to Aussie to handle that chick for Julie!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with the above, I think bullies become truly lazy when they hit the age 3 mark. Sometimes even after age 3 they don't even play much at all.

Do you give him a vitamin or supplement? If not maybe trying that to see if his energy level improves .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online