tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Thank you everyone for all of the responses. It just broke my heart last night to have to clean the sores and to see Rumble like that. I know he is tired and normally is from daycare but he just did not seem like his normal spunky self last night or this morning. All he would do is sleep. I am hoping that after sleeping today that he will be back to his normal self tonight. I tried to research the places the best I could and my trainer even said this one was better than the other one I was looking at. I do not know how often the other bulldogs are boarded, but I know that the place routinely has about 5 bulldogs there a day for daycare so I also thought that was a good indicator. I know everyone needs a vacation but I will be thinking long and hard before I ever board him again. In order to keep a level head about the situation, I am having my husband call the place this morning after he is out of his meeting for work. Plus, Zach did more of the cleaning than I did on Rumble. I was more of the nurturing mom type telling him it would be okay. I am also going to be checking with the vet to see if we should bring him in or not. Any recommendations on what we should be using to clean him? We normally use a combination of baby wipes and witch hazel on his face wrinkles. I'm just not sure what to do about the sores. I will keep you posted as soon as we hear from the boarding place.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would call and voice your concerns. Sometimes Stig would come home with scratches, since he's the wacko hyper play with big dogs one :rolleyes:, but the owner or employees would let us know. Keeping mum about it tells you that they either haven't checked him, which they should have everyday, Or they don't feel guilty.

I think that is what makes me the most upset. Rumble doesn't see another dogs size, he just sees a playmate. I know this and I know Rumble can play quite rough so I expected a few scratches. However, I feel that if there were scratches that I had a right to know about them when I picked him up. I do not have any idea of when Rumble even got the sores. Rumble was so excited to see me that I did not take the time to do a good once over on him. I just wanted to get him back home...which I now regret. I should have spent the time and looked at him right then.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
This is upsetting for sure. Thank goodness he wasn't harmed more seriously. That's what I would address with the daycare. I would make sure I spoke to a manager so there is maybe a hope of this being corrected for future bulldogs boarding there. It is such a hard decision leaving our babies in the first place. It is not your fault what happened. We all deserve so time away. Next time will be better.Maybe your vet could recommend a boarding place next time. We went away for a week and left Brutus with family and he was so stressed he was sick for a week when we got back. Maybe the answer is to take them with us? I don't know.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is upsetting for sure. Thank goodness he wasn't harmed more seriously. That's what I would address with the daycare. I would make sure I spoke to a manager so there is maybe a hope of this being corrected for future bulldogs boarding there. It is such a hard decision leaving our babies in the first place. It is not your fault what happened. We all deserve so time away. Next time will be better.Maybe your vet could recommend a boarding place next time. We went away for a week and left Brutus with family and he was so stressed he was sick for a week when we got back. Maybe the answer is to take them with us? I don't know.

We had originally wanted to take Rumble with us on vacation. The problem is that it is a 14 hour trip one way and that is with minimal stops. The trip had to be done in one day so I did not see a way it would be possible to take him with us. From now on I have a feeling we may only go to places where he can come with or we will try to find someplace else. Rumble had gone to daycare at this place before and was fine so I'm not sure how you determine which place is good and which place is bad.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We had originally wanted to take Rumble with us on vacation. The problem is that it is a 14 hour trip one way and that is with minimal stops. The trip had to be done in one day so I did not see a way it would be possible to take him with us. From now on I have a feeling we may only go to places where he can come with or we will try to find someplace else. Rumble had gone to daycare at this place before and was fine so I'm not sure how you determine which place is good and which place is bad.

It is so hard to know what is the right thing to do. Maybe the daycare had a change in staff? We went to South Carolina and for us it was about a 13hr trip. The vet said the trip would have been ok for Brutus as long as he likes the car (which he does). He said that Brutus would let us know when he had to potty. The fact that he did not do well without us just solidifies the fact that he will come with us from now on. The next trip we are taking is a ski trip and Brutus will be with us for sure. I hope Rumble feels better soon.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I'm very upset for you and Rumble. You deserve an explanation. They are in the pet business so you would think putting the pets best needs and care would be tops on the list. I would go there and let them have it and document everything just in case. I hope Rumble feels better soon and you do too. You are a good mama!!!!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I would definitely call for an explanation. I agree that a couple cuts here and there would've been expected. Tubby looks like he's gone to battle after he plays with his friends but deep cuts by his neck and green folds is totally unacceptable!!! And you are not a bad mom. You had no way knowing what would happen. You're a great bully mama an Rumble is a very lucky boy to have you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I agree. Whether you signed something or not...you have a right to call and ask what happened. I've boarded Dudley a number of times and never a mark on him and NEVER green wrinkles...not normal. And if getting him checked by the vet makes you feel better...do it. And give him hugs from me and Dudley!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm pissed for you!
Regarding the sores, put some Neosporin on them if they're open. You don't want them getting infected.
Your hubs needs to let them know that just because you signed a wavier, that does not clear them of all responsibility. That's the whole point of boarding, so your pet receives care! Waivers like that mean crap in court.

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My husband talked to the place that boarded Rumble. They said that he never had any problems with any of the other dogs, no growling, no fights, etc. They insisted that he was a great dog and that they were UNAWARE of any sores! It really bothers me that they were unaware of them...especially since they gave him a bath yesterday. They then tried to tell my husband that he could be allergic to the oatmeal shampoo they used. We use the same shampoo and I do not think two sores would be caused from shampoo. They said that it must have just been him playing a little rough with the other dogs. If they are playing that rough maybe they need to separate them! The last thing they said is to let them know if we take him to the vet which my husband responded that we will definitely let them know. This whole situation just makes me sick to my stomach. I do not expect anyone else to love Rumble like we do but I at least expect him to be taken care of and healthy. On the positive side, here are some photos of him resting last night. The first one is him within a block of the boarding facility sleeping. He was so worn out! 20130930_181857.jpg This one is after he removed the blanket from the couch so he could sleep on it. He could have slept on the couch but for some reason he wanted the blanket on the floor. 20130930_185948.jpg

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
And while on vacation the place sent us pictures of Rumble and he looked so happy that I tried not to worry about him. That was probably a mistake. Here are the pictures they sent us.IMG_0642.jpgIMG_2987.jpg

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
It is so hard to know what is the right thing to do. Maybe the daycare had a change in staff? We went to South Carolina and for us it was about a 13hr trip. The vet said the trip would have been ok for Brutus as long as he likes the car (which he does). He said that Brutus would let us know when he had to potty. The fact that he did not do well without us just solidifies the fact that he will come with us from now on. The next trip we are taking is a ski trip and Brutus will be with us for sure. I hope Rumble feels better soon.

We are planning a vacation for next summer and I told my hubby when he was looking at places to make sure they are pet friendly because Sheldon is going with us.

So sayeth the Sheldon Puppy!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are planning a vacation for next summer and I told my hubby when he was looking at places to make sure they are pet friendly because Sheldon is going with us.

So sayeth the Sheldon Puppy!
Very smart. Sheldon will have a great time and so will you knowing your baby is safe with you.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
And while on vacation the place sent us pictures of Rumble and he looked so happy that I tried not to worry about him. That was probably a mistake. Here are the pictures they sent us.View attachment 57011View attachment 57012
He does look happy. I think they just didn't know how to take care of his wrinkles. Maybe they will learn from this. Its just upsetting that it had to be at rumbles expense.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I read your post a while ago-this is so upsetting x
As a customer you got a right to demand an explanation and if your baby need a treatment what you sign it doesn't matter -boarding kennels should provide your baby with security and care and they failed ;-(
I would go nuts if this was my dog -but then again i got short fuse xxx i hope you be able to get to the bottom of this situation xx

B

Baxter Tiberius

1) Boarding places don't pay attention to the dogs 24/7 and there is ample opportunity for dogs to get in seriously inappropriate aggressive play with absolutely nobody watching at the time. This is one major problem with boarding places. Even the place I go which is insanely expensive and considered top tier - I know for a fact they don't watch the dogs the whole time they are together. Anyone who knows anything about dogs knows that when dogs are in a group like that, someone needs to be watching every single minute to separate them if necessary. Otherwise bad things can happen. I don't know why dog daycare places don't have a friggen clue about this ...

2) Im betting he slept for 2 days after you got him back because of the constant, incessant noise of irritatingly loud barking dogs ... literally 24/7. Our bullies need their sleep desperately. Being in your home is quiet and comforting and restful. They don't do well with stress because i don't believe they get as much of an opportunity to recuperate from stress. Or they take significantly longer. Their sleep is not as deep as any other dogs sleep is. And if you've got a bunch of annoying, barking dogs all around, he probably spent a week unable to get fully rested any of those nights. Im growing to really dislike boarding places. Mostly because of the other dogs. I'd kill myself if my dog didn't shut up like most of those dogs never do ....

3) I found out quickly that boarding places, no matter how great they claim to be, don't know how to feed english bulldogs. I took baxter to D.O.G. Miami - a super nice place, and he came home with almost a closed up throat and bloodshot eyes after only 4 hours there for daycare. It didn't take me long to realize they'd been giving him treats which he's allergic to. English Bulldogs need to be carefully monitored. Especially what they eat. you cant just toss them treats that you toss to all the other dogs. Again, if these daycare places knew their stuff, they would know this. Its basic English Bulldog 101... This may be why he has sores if they're allergy related. Who knows what he was eating the whole time.

There are a lot of things you could say to them in a situation like this, and I know you've already called and spoken to them, but I think a one liner like this would be very impactful:
"There are several things you guys need to be educated on regarding this breed. If you're not, you should not be offering to board English Bulldogs at all"

Kevin

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.