Help Needed! Punkin just had a seizure :(

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Everyone was asleep, I was still up studying for an exam, Punkin was sleeping near me, and all of a sudden he moved which initially seemed like he was hurting somewhere. Then his whole body stayed stiff, his eyes twitching without any set focus and I yelled for my bf to wake up and get the desitin. He's had head tremours before, maybe every 3 weeks or so, and we'd get the desitin to have him concentrate on the strong smell. It always worked before, but tonite it didn't. :( His body stayed stiff for probably a couple of minutes. All the meanwhile, my bf was holding him so he wouldn't hit his head on something. When he finally "woke up" he jumped a little, but I think it was because he was surprised that my bf was so close. (He gets surprised easily.) I gave him some cheese after, which he ate enthusiastically as usual.

This was the very first time I've seen him do that and I don't know if this was the first instance. :( Should I take him to the vet for a check-up right away, or should I wait a bit? I don't think we did anything different today. We actually had a semi-eventful past couple of days, with Stig and Punks walking off leash in a field on Friday with some rescue friends and their dogs, and yesterday we went to a Barkfest festival for an hour.

He's sleeping now like nothing happened. My poor boy. :(

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im so sorry to hear that ,xxxx i hope there will be few members here that will be able to advise you or give you some if their experience x

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my gosh i was just heading to bed and decided to check threads... Little Punky had to have scared you to death!! I was a mess when Mandy licked that toad years ago and had hers... And I knew why she did and couldn't even move.

Of course [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] would know, I think as long as he's okay right now it can wait until the morning. Unless he starts getting them over and over.

Cheryl told me sometimes they ingest poison up through their paws that can cause seizures, like through pesticides and stuff. Any idea if the grass could have been treated at these places you went recently? With Mandy it was no doubt poison.

Give him a kiss from me! And of course a :hug: for you....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hey Jamie, so so sorry to hear this. Did he have any type of foaming at the mouth? Did he lose bowel or bladder control? When his body was really tense, was his head shaking back and forth?

If you answer "yes" to any of these....I'd say some sort of seizure. If no...could it have been a real intense dream?

Usually when Vegas has a seizure, he can't settle down after wards. He has to move and he keeps moving until his brain settles down. Sometimes it's hours before his body is able to relax.

Keep your camera charged and within reach at all times. Get video if he does it again. That is the best way to describe correctly to the vet what he did....by showing it. Much easier than trying to explain.

As always, I'm just a phone call away if you need to talk. Give the boys some loves from us.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I thought he was having a nightmare at first, as I've noticed him dreaming before. Can't exactly recall if his head was bobbing. I was just so focused on his eyes because I was praying that they'll stop twitching and rolling back and to finally concentrate on something. I'll ask my bf if he can remember.

He didn't foam or drool, nor lose bowel movement. He seemed confused after but returned to his normal self quickly.

I'm trying to remember, as well, if he could have eaten something.

And I've been thinking about pesticides lately too, Lisa. Such as if the neighbours are possibly using them. I hope the city don't use them in parks. The fields ... it seems unlikely, but you never know I guess.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Cheryl, I'm going to add you and everyone else on my contact list now.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my gosh, I freaked out so bad when Brutus had hives, how much more
scary this is for you & BF! Know that y'all are in my thoughts & prayers as
to the answer & hopefully, no more episodes. Cami & I send love to all.
:havemyheart:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my, that would of freaked me out so badly...I would call the vet for their opinion and keep the camera handy for if it happens again. A lot of times it's very hard to find out what causes seizures after the seizure. And if we're lucky it never happens again.:pray:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
And I've been thinking about pesticides lately too, Lisa. Such as if the neighbors are possibly using them. I hope the city don't use them in parks. The fields ... it seems unlikely, but you never know I guess.

More than likely, anything put on grass that is near pet and/or children will be non-toxic. On the other hand...there is debate out there about cleaners such as the swiffer wet jet. One of the ingredients in it is propylene glycol. Two of the most common ingredients in antifreeze are propylene glycol and Ethylene glycol. Ethylene is far more lethal than propylene....but you get my point.

If Punkin picked something up....such as by walking thru a puddle that has traces of antifreeze......it would happen (I imagine) sooner than later. You can rest easy by simply using baby wipes on his feet after he comes in from outside.

I'm really not sure what to think about your sweet boy. Keep us updated Jamie!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So sorry, this happened to you and Punks, must be really scary. These little guys sure make us worry a lot. You already got lots of good advice, and I would watch him closely, and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does, I would take him to the vet. You could also call the vet for advice, and see what he says. I hope he's okay, and this doesn't happen again. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Feel better Punkin.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have no experience with seizures, thank God, but you've gotten good advice. Just wanted to send our good thoughts and prayers for you and your baby! So scary. I know how upset I was when Dudley had an allergic reaction to a vaccine when he was a baby. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! Hoping this was a one-time thing! Keep us updated!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
More than likely, anything put on grass that is near pet and/or children will be non-toxic. On the other hand...there is debate out there about cleaners such as the swiffer wet jet. One of the ingredients in it is propylene glycol. Two of the most common ingredients in antifreeze are propylene glycol and Ethylene glycol. Ethylene is far more lethal than propylene....but you get my point.

If Punkin picked something up....such as by walking thru a puddle that has traces of antifreeze......it would happen (I imagine) sooner than later. You can rest easy by simply using baby wipes on his feet after he comes in from outside.

I'm really not sure what to think about your sweet boy. Keep us updated Jamie!

I can attest to the fact that swiffer wet jet kills dogs. It killed my first yellow lab. I only use white vinegar and murphys oil to clean the floors now.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
So sorry what Punkin went thru, Jamie. I first thought it could be a dream too he was experiencing. That's really scary and I hope he is doing better today. :hug:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Poor Baby. Ruthie has epilepsy and it started just as random seizures. The vet always knew about them but she had a real bad one and I had to rush her to the vet. I hope Punkin is ok and this was just a one time thing! Keep us posted.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh Jayme how scary that must have been for you all! I am so sorry you had to go through this!! Hoping Punkin is okay and nothing going forward! Hugs and kisses to you both!!

Wow I use the swifter wet pads :( I'm thinking I need to stop using them! I never knew that the ingredients were bad for the pups :(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just saw this post and I hope your baby does not have another seizure. I had more experience than I want with seizures. Had a German Shep, who had Grand Mal seizures. Had a Belgian Mal, who had occasional seizures. I know it scares the heck out of you, and you worry all the time, when you are not home, that it will happen when you are not around. It is so hard to determine causes, and other than a physical, which may show nothing , but good health-unless a brain scan-if seizures start happening more often, then getting medication will be in order. One of my dogs started(Mal) having seizures after being knocked out by the other large dog, while playing, they ran into each other.
After that he occasionally had a seizure (due to a concussion) but not often enough to medicate-but it still is scary when it happens. The german Shep-her seizures progressively grew worse. Meds. worked for awhile, then always had to be increased.
Many years ago I had a Siberian Husky who had a seizure from a toad--foaming, seizing, etc. but thankfully that was a one-time occurence. Seizure are VERY scary, and like in humans, they can't always even find the cause. I am hoping for you and your baby that THIS was a one-time thing. If not-perhaps your doctor will prescribe pheno-barb, or another meds. I wish you good luck and many prayers for you and your bullie:pray2:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.