Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHi everyone, it's 1:00 in the morning here, and I just took Dozer out for a walk before I was going to go to bed, and when I put his leash on, I noticed these raised circles all over his legs, and sides. I'm pretty sure they're hives, as I looked it up to see what hives look like on a dog, and the pictures look exactly like what Dozer has. Neither one of them have had these before, and Dozer has never had any allergy symptoms or problems up until now. It's his sister Blossom who has all the food allergies. They have been on Fromms Beef for almost a year, and both have been doing really well on this food. Nothing in his environment has changed, no new soaps, shampoos, house cleaners, nothing in his foods have changed either. They get fed Fromms twice a day, once in the morning 1 cup of kibble with 1 Tbsp of plain yogurt, and 1 cup of kibble in the evening. They did get some strawberries this morning, about 3 or 4 each, and a half of a banana each, but they have had these fruits many times before. He isn't scratching or licking to indicate he's itchy, he has no swelling of his face or eyelids, and hes breathing fine, but I gave him a Benadryl just to make sure, and to see if it helps with the hives. Since its the middle of the night, all I can do is watch him, and see how he is in the morning, and if the hives are still there, then I'll take him to the vet. Has anyone else experienced this, getting hives seemingly out of the blue, or could he have developed an allergy?

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Monica, just logged on and saw this post right away, hoping you are not freaking.
Let me warn you that his hives could worsen before getting better and if so, last
a week or so. This is exactly what happened to Brutus and yep...early am. And I
did freak, could barely type out my post, cried...it was awful. Fortunately, even
tho he hived up more & more, he never had breathing problems but did get itchier.
I put cortaid cream and rubbed on hives, calamine lotion will help too. Lukewarm
baths w/baking soda will help and final vinegar rinse. If he does get itchy, T-shirt
him.

Unless he starts having breathing problems, I'd not take him to the Vet, they won't
do more than this but give a steroid shot if breathing difficulties occur. It sounds like
he got bit or was exposed to an environmental allergen (maybe a pesticide/weed killer
yard?). Let us know, Hun and I am praying that he doesn't hive more & it goes away
quickly...giant size HUGS for you!
:lubu:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Both of my boys have had this just out of the blue. I freaked the first time, but I gave Usko some cortisone and it started to go down and was gone in a couple of days. The same thing happened to Voitto this spring and it was really bad. Even his face was swollen, much more than Usko's was. But it didn't bother them, they ate, drank, played...I just watched them and desided that if I see any signs of it infecting their breathing then I would take them to the vet. With Usko I called the vet and they just said to watch and give some cortisone and if it doesn't go away in couple of days to bring them in. So I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks Carol, and Riikka, after I gave Dozer the Benadryl early this morning at 1:30 am, the hives did seem to improve a little, but now this morning at 7:30, I just got up to take him outside and feed him, and they are back again, but not as many as he had earlier. I am going to feed him now, and give him another Benadryl, and then watch him today for any other signs of itchiness, puffy or swelling eyes, and I'll watch to make sure his breathing is okay. Until these hives go away, I'll just give him plain kibble with no toppings on it, or any fruit for now, just in case it is his food. Then I'll slowly reintroduce the extras one at a time and see if anything causes them to return. Other than that it still could be he got bit by something, or environmental causes. I hope they go away and he's okay. Thanks guys for thoughts and prayers as always.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] I thought the same thing maybe the neighbors used something different on their yard I was thinking that if everything is the same as it always has been it's most likely something from outside. Sheldon hasn't gotten hives but he has been getting a benadryl at night lately for runny nose and teary eyes.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It could still be something outside, as it's been really nice weather here all week, and they have been going for runs down by the river, maybe something in the grass at the park??

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This has happened to both of my bullies, and you have been given great advice Monica. Just keep an eye on him... It's frustrating because you can't always be sure why it happens. Take a deep breath, it will be ok... keep us posted!!! :hug2:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It could still be something outside, as it's been really nice weather here all week, and they have been going for runs down by the river, maybe something in the grass at the park??

Yes, they probably sprayed the park, maybe he got on it just after while
it was still damp. Our babies are so sensitive to everything :(

Glad to hear he's doing okay, Hun...I never did find what caused Brutus
to hive up so but pretty sure it was something like this, it never happened
again in the 7 months I had him. Hoping your wk-end gets better!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sorry I missed this post Monica :(. How's Dizer doing? I think you have a good plan about slowly reintroducing certain things, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, just an update on Dozer, when I woke up this morning, he still had a few hives, but not nearly as many as last night, so I gave him another Benadryl with his breakfast. I didn't add anything extra to his kibble, I want to make sure it's not the food causing the reaction. I don't think so, as he's never had any allergies to different proteins. His sister Blossom is the one who has allergies to chicken and salmon, but that doesn't mean, allergies can't develop at any time. I just want to make sure he isn't having a reaction to the Fromm's. I going to wait a week or so, before re introducing any extras in his food. He's been fine all day, p,aging, drinking, eating normal, no swelling of his eyes, face, or chin, and most of his hives are gone. He hasn't had another Benadryl since this morning, it makes him a little sleepy, so I'm going to continue watching him to make sure they don't come back and continue to go away. They normally get a bath every other Sunday, and this is the weekend for bath time, but Daddy is going to bath him tonight as well, just in case the hives were caused by something in the park that got on his skin. I may never find out what caused the hives, hey isn't that the Benadryl commercial? " You may never know what got you, but remember the Dryl". I hope they don't come back. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers for Dozey.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good idea from hubby :up:

Glad he's getting better too!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, just an update on Dozer, when I woke up this morning, he still had a few hives, but not nearly as many as last night, so I gave him another Benadryl with his breakfast. I didn't add anything extra to his kibble, I want to make sure it's not the food causing the reaction. I don't think so, as he's never had any allergies to different proteins. His sister Blossom is the one who has allergies to chicken and salmon, but that doesn't mean, allergies can't develop at any time. I just want to make sure he isn't having a reaction to the Fromm's. I going to wait a week or so, before re introducing any extras in his food. He's been fine all day, p,aging, drinking, eating normal, no swelling of his eyes, face, or chin, and most of his hives are gone. He hasn't had another Benadryl since this morning, it makes him a little sleepy, so I'm going to continue watching him to make sure they don't come back and continue to go away. They normally get a bath every other Sunday, and this is the weekend for bath time, but Daddy is going to bath him tonight as well, just in case the hives were caused by something in the park that got on his skin. I may never find out what caused the hives, hey isn't that the Benadryl commercial? " You may never know what got you, but remember the Dryl". I hope they don't come back. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers for Dozey.

glad he is doing better! i think i told you this before, but Banks had two VERY bad hive reactions and we never found out what caused it.... vet said it most likely was a bug bite because of how bad the reaction was and quickly it came on.

hugs to the kiddies

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, just wanted to update you on Dozer and his hives. I took away all his extras for a couple of weeks like yogurt, fruit, veggies, and treats. I fed him only his kibble, to see if it was his food causing the hives, he had hives for almost 3 days. He was fine on his food, so after a week, I reintroduced his yogurt in the morning, and no symptoms, so I reintroduced the strawberries to see if he would get the hives back, but he didn't, and he did fine with his half banana as well. So his hives were definitely not caused by his kibble, his treats, or his extra add ons that we usually give him. I'm relieved that he has no food allergies. The only other thing that we did at the time the hives came out, was we were down by the river and trail behind our house, and he was running in the grass. He could have just been sensitive or allergic to something in the grass, but I'm doubtful, as they go down there quite often, so I'm thinking that he must have gotten bit by something like a wasp. I didn't see any sign of a insect bite, but with all the bumps and hives, I could have missed it. There is no other reason for him getting the hives, and they haven't come back since, so he must have been bitten by something. It's just a guess, and I may never know what caused the hives, but at least they're gone.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
At least you know it wasn't the treats or food, you did excellent by trying to narrow it down. Good job mamma! So glad he's all better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.