Need quick advice - my dog ingested wasp poison

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Ok, this is not about Maggie.. It is actually my 9 month old shepherd mix baby, Cato. He got into the outside trash and got a bone that had been sprayed with wasp spray about a week ago. Its a meaty bone I took from Maggie cuz she was breaking off and swallowing pieces... I put it out of reach on a table and forgot about it. The next day it had ants all over it and the table... all I had was wasp spray to kill them, so I used it and then put everything in the trash. Anyway, this morning I found that Cato had gotten the bone and had already eaten all the "good bits" off of it.. It took me 30 minutes of chasing him around the yard to get it away from him. I finally was able to trick him with some cheese...
I already gave peroxide and he has already vomited. It looks like most or all of it has "come up"
but now I just need to know what to do next... Should I give him lots of water... some milk.. banannas... bread... or nothing?
Any ideas?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would just watch him, call the vet for some advice too.... let him be and see how he is responding -- if anything is not right get to the vet.

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Thanks. That's kinda what I figured. I called the ASPCA poison control hotline, but didn't have the $65 needed to get advice.. I called our vet and they said to make sure he has plenty of water and to just watch him for anything abnormal... so now I'm just nervously watching... right now he is chasing a fly around the kitchen... goofy dog

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, so sorry you're going through this worry. I agree with Christine, if he threw it up, he's probably going to be fine. Just watch him, give him lots of water, and if something doesn't seem right, take him to the vet. Sending love, hugs and prayers that he is okay. Pls keep us posted.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thanks. That's kinda what I figured. I called the ASPCA poison control hotline, but didn't have the $65 needed to get advice.. I called our vet and they said to make sure he has plenty of water and to just watch him for anything abnormal... so now I'm just nervously watching... right now he is chasing a fly around the kitchen... goofy dog

WTF $65 FOR ADVICE????? Aren't these people supposed to help animals????

OP
PudgyMommy

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
The recording says it is because they are a non-profit and rely on volunteers and donations.. so the $65 is to support their efforts... If I had it, I would have paid it...
When I am in better finacial position, I think I will include them in the charities we try to help.. Perhaps if they had more financial support, they wouldn't have to charge someone for advice during a potential emergency.
Sucks for now, ... but that's what you guys are here for.. I always read the best stuff on here anyway.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Good lord... the almighty dollar just always rules the roost, doesn't it.... (sigh) Thanks for the chasing fly visual... made me :giggle:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG... $65 for poison advice?!!! My boxer got into some bug spray years ago, and I freaked took her to the vets (she was foamy)... turns out most commercial sprays are watered down, so she was fine!!! Since she already vomited I would just watch her closely...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great advice from everyone so I'm just gonna pray over Cato
and send big hugs to you in sympathy for having to worry
:hug:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I think Cato will be okay now that he's vomited out and yes, already great feedback above! That's scary tho...I sometimes use Raid to kill ants inside the house and am paranoid my boys will ingest the bug spray too. And i had no idea about the $65 fee the ASPCA requests for poison info. That's a lot of dough!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I hope Cato's ok. How's she doing now? I had to call ASPCA too about a year ago and was surprised at the $65. Wilson ate a pain med but I wasn't familiar with it at the time and got scared. It was Tramadol so he just got sleep for a bit. It doesn't cost me that much to walk into my vets office or call them. Most vet places have a 24 hour number too that you can call. Sure they'll want you to bring them in but at least they'll hopefully be able to tell you what you need to do right then.

:hug: to you and Cato.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm late to this, but hope he is doing well. Good thinking on your part to give the peroxide.

Last edited:

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I late to these, but hope he is doing well. Good think on your part to give the peroxide.

yes good advice...I had not thot about peroxide either...good to know!

Hope Cato is feeling better! I guess so since he is chasing flies...LOL!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh I hope Cato is doing okay! Sending hugs and good thoughts to you all!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hope Cato is going to be fine..... Having sprayed the bone about a week ago, hopefully the Poisonous part of the spray has already evaporated-so he should be safe. Never any rest for the weary eh?! However, I would be worried, also! Pray that he will.

Most Reactions