Heartworm Meds Pro-Hart 6 vs Trifexis

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
So I was at the vets Friday getting Norm's eye checked out---yup he did scratch it. Luckily is wasn't ulcerated. It was just abraded and a pretty easy fix. Vet was asking me about heartworm prevention and we got to discussing it. I asked about Trifexis---don't throw anything yet---He said he had just started carrying it because a lot a new clients were already on and requested it.... so then I asked about pro-hart 6--the 6 month injection. Based on how he described it, I think I am going with Pro-hart. What he said was Trifexis was a monthly pill where it's like a really hard 2-3 day purge of the system for intestinal worms etc. Pro-hart is sustained release for 6 months. Sounded to me like Trifexis would be really hard on the system right at first. Granted it does have the flea stuff in it too but I don't think I want to guinea pig Norm with that. Just wanted to put this info out because I had never heard it explained how trifexis works. So Norm will be doing pro-hart 6 and a topical for fleas and mosquitoes. Hope this info can help someone else make a good choice.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Thanks going to ask our vet about it....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting... I'll have to research and ask my vet about it.... we use sentnial now

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great info thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks Melanie :) Give Norman a hug...so glad no ulcers, GOD bless!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.