Tysonbully

Sep 8, 2013
Rome, NY
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Hi all,

My bully has had chronic ear infections and he is only a year old. I have tried cleaning his ears more frequently but it seems nothing is helping. He has also started with the head shakes and I don't know if it is related to his ear infections. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
What does he eat? Does he get brown gunky build up in his ears? If so it's more than likely food related.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace is having more ear problems recently (wax and gunky buildup) and there hasn't been any food changes. Also scratching more. Here where I live in Florida we are in the fall allergy season, weeds pollinating and dying. So I'm wondering if that could also be some of the problem

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Carey, Tyson's ear infections can be caused from food allergies. Which food are you feeding him? It can also be caused by allergy symptoms to other things such as environmental allergies, or allergies to fleas or mosquito bites can also cause ear infections. Another reason a dog can get an ear infection is from getting water in the ear canal when bathing him. If none of these things are causing the infection, then the vet can take a sample from his ear canal to determine if there is a bacterial infection of some kind. Hope Tyson feels better soon. Sending Hugs and kisses for Tyson.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi all,

My bully has had chronic ear infections and he is only a year old. I have tried cleaning his ears more frequently but it seems nothing is helping. He has also started with the head shakes and I don't know if it is related to his ear infections. Any advice would be appreciated.

The members have some great questions and suggestion for you already..... let us know and we can help

OP
Tysonbully

Tysonbully

Sep 8, 2013
Rome, NY
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Thanks all. I have him on evo's red meat. His coat has improved drastically from the food. I think it could be from bathing him. It's just odd that it's the right ear most often. Do any of you use anything specific for ear care? How often do you clean them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Holly kept getting ear infections then we switched her to grain free food and poof her ears immediately cleared up. We still clean her ears from time to time but they're never like they used to be.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would change his food to something with a different protein and grain free, that should help.

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
There's also an ear wash you can get from your vet that has drying agents in it. A bit in the ears, massage it around and then they will shake their heads like crazy and then it should dry up any moisture in the ear. Also cotton in the ears when you bath to prevent water from getting in there.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I use Zymox Zymox.jpgwe tried 3 different prescriptions from the vet that did not work, this worked - now we use once a month as maintenance. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online