Dry eye in a bulldog

Leannie

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bently, And Maddie
trying to see if anyone has cured the dry eye my female bulldog was fine till she got about 6 yrs old and it will not go away even with meds it's still bad and she can't see good threw the film any suggestions / the meds have been taclomus and neoosporin and nysporin and kentac none of those have worked really would like any ideals. thanks Charlene

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There are drops you can give and also a gel but I can't think of the name of it. I know some others will be along that will know. I will also tag Lisa, she will remember. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi Leannie,

Sally my 7yo rescue has dry eye (called KCS, or Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca) in both her eyes. Since we rescued her this past May I'm not sure how long she's had it. I took her to my vet when we got her and she's been on a prescription eye drop called "Cyclosporin Opth. Drops 30ml" (one drop per eye twice daily). Even when I've accidentally skipped a drop here and and there you'd never know it. Ask your vet if you can get that.

Hope that helps. Oh it's reality inexpensive too as it last a long time. I think it runs about $30.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'm going to move your post over to the health section too. You'll get a lot more responses there. :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:bigeyes:Hi, before we had Blossoms cherry eye repaired, I was putting Refresh eye drops in her eyes, so they wouldn't dry out before we could do the surgery. They kept her eyes moist, and I just bought them at the drugstore. The same drops that are safe for our eyes are safe for dogs as well. They are also cheaper at the drugstore than at the vets.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Leannie,

Sally my 7yo rescue has dry eye (called KCS, or Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca) in both her eyes. Since we rescued her this past May I'm not sure how long she's had it. I took her to my vet when we got her and she's been on a prescription eye drop called "Cyclosporin Opth. Drops 30ml" (one drop per eye twice daily). Even when I've accidentally skipped a drop here and and there you'd never know it. Ask your vet if you can get that.

Hope that helps. Oh it's reality inexpensive too as it last a long time. I think it runs about $30.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'm going to move your post over to the health section too. You'll get a lot more responses there. :)

Cyclosporin works great, the drops are easier to use but the ointment lasts longer. It is expensive, and I was having a hard time getting the ointment without having to order a whole case of it. When I got the drops I ordered from an online pharmacy and they did not work at all, I am wondering if that was a scam.... :yikes:

My vet told me to give 'sustaine' a try, he says it's an over the counter lubricating eye drop, thick like a gel but in a drop form, so it lasts longer. One drop in the morning and one drop at night and I must say it is working really well. Since I am on the computer more than I should be I too have developed dry eye, and this has helped so much so since I can feel it on my own self it sure makes a difference. It has gotten so much better for her dry eye too.... and now I even put it in all my bulldogs eyes once a week as well as wash their eyes out with eye wash just as part of their routine too. Their eyes are so much brighter.

You can get it at your pharmacy or any store that sells over the counter medications, it's for humans, and so is the eye wash.

Last edited:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Hope tjat sweet bully starts feeling better soon! After Brie had her cryosurgery, the vet recommended an over the counter product called Genteal severe dry eye relief lubricant eye gel..it was not expensive and seemed to help a bunch

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Cyclosporin works great, the drops are easier to use but the ointment lasts longer. It is expensive, and I was having a hard time getting the ointment without having to order a whole case of it. When I got the drops I ordered from an online pharmacy and they did not work at all, I am wondering if that was a scam.... :yikes:

My vet told me to give 'sustaine' a try, he says it's an over the counter lubricating eye drop, thick like a gel but in a drop form, so it lasts longer. One drop in the morning and one drop at night and I must say it is working really well. Since I am on the computer more than I should be I too have developed dry eye, and this has helped so much so since I can feel it on my own self it sure makes a difference. It has gotten so much better for her dry eye too.... and now I even put it in all my bulldogs eyes once a week as well as wash their eyes out with eye wash just as part of their routine too. Their eyes are so much brighter.

You can get it at your pharmacy or any store that sells over the counter medications, it's for humans, and so is the eye wash.

Yeah it's really been working great for Sally. Heck I even skip every now and then and you'd never know....not a dry eye in sight. She gets her drops at feeding time so I don't forget.

I might have to try the sustaine for Emma, she always has red eye. :hmm:

Most Reactions