cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn has been on a tapering dose of Prednisone tablets now for the past 4 days and last night he had two peeing accidents in the house. This is quite rare for him, and I'm wondering if it's from the prednisone. I did read that there can be an increase in urination while on this med.

He's also drinking a lot more water than normal which obviously will make him pee more, plus his appetite has been VORACIOUS! I called my vet's office this a.m. to get the dr's opinion on this and am waiting to hear back...but just wanted to see if anyone here has seen this firsthand with their bulldog? :confused:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Shy was on it for her allergies -it made her drink a lot more -all depends what dosage he is on (at the beginning she was on high dosage to "contain her skin allergies" then as soon as dosage was lowered to "manage" her clear now skin , she started off drinking loads more water but as dosage got lowered she began to drink more "normal" -i suppose he have accidents due to excessive drinking
She should be on steroids for life but steroids tend to thin her skin ( she was on steroids from 8 weeks) , weaken immune system and shorten life.
at 6 months we where advised that she got indeed thin coat and skin so we stopped ,once i get a grip how to manage her allergies "my way" and shes now clear from steroids

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
YES!!!! When Vegas was on it he would actually dribble as he was headed to the door to want out. He also had a couple accidents in the house that is the ONLY time he has pee'd in the house since he was a pup. I ask our vet too and the answer was yes.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, thanks all! I feel a bit better now hearing everyone's experiences. Was thinking, not a UTI on top of everything else!! Thanks again!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What dose do they have him on. Diva is on it right now and I saw no change in her, except she is loving food more than usual. She was on 20 mg. at first for about 3 weeks then 10 mg. for about a month and now she is on 5 mg.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yup! It's the pred! :cursing:

YUP! I really dislike the stuff and our vet knows to not even go there with me unless there is no other option
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
What dose do they have him on. Diva is on it right now and I saw no change in her, except she is loving food more than usual. She was on 20 mg. at first for about 3 weeks then 10 mg. for about a month and now she is on 5 mg.

I THINK each tablet is a 10mg one so he started with: 3 tablets twice a day for 3 days, then 3 tablets once a day for 3 days, then 3 tablets every other day.

He's now on the first day of the 3 tablets once a day part of the tapering schedule.

It's for his tail infection which was a pretty bad mess. In addition to the steroid, he's also on abx for that.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I THINK each tablet is a 10mg one so he started with: 3 tablets twice a day for 3 days, then 3 tablets once a day for 3 days, then 3 tablets every other day.

He's now on the first day of the 3 tablets once a day part of the tapering schedule.

It's for his tail infection which was a pretty bad mess. In addition to the steroid, he's also on abx for that.

Does his tail seem to be getting better?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Yes, it is def the meds!! Winston was on it when he had his tail infection and we had the same problems with the accidents in the house & the excessive water! It gets better once you start tapering it off. I hope hes feeling better soon!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wow, that's pretty high dose, so I could see that making him pee more often.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Does his tail seem to be getting better?

:yes: !!! and so happy for Finn too. I later realized how stressed out he was about his tail when he'd chase it the way he did. He's really such a good little boy and I think he's forgiven me for not taking him in sooner to get that evaluated.
I wished I could've brought him last Sunday, Phil so you could meet him. Next time tho, for sure!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:yes: !!! and so happy for Finn too. I later realized how stressed out he was about his tail when he'd chase it the way he did. He's really such a good little boy and I think he's forgiven me for not taking him in sooner to get that evaluated.
I wished I could've brought him last Sunday, Phil so you could meet him. Next time tho, for sure!

That's so good to hear! Yes, Buster and I want to meet the little bear! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh yes that dose of pred would surely make him be alot more hungry, drink lots more water and pp more and have lots and lots of energy. will get better as the dose is tapered down. glad he is on the mend. :)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva is on it right now and I saw no change in her, except she is loving food more than usual.

oh yes that dose of pred would surely make him be alot more hungry :)

I have never seen Finn eat as much as he has and then WANT more food afterwards on top of that! I don't know if he's just feeling better or if it's a side effect of the prednisone, but he definitely has more energy right now, plus that increase in appetite is ridiculous. Maybe it's another growth spurt?!

Members online

No members online now.