Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When to neuter?

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Males I would wait 18-24months, females minimum of 2 cycles. Just my opinion based off research and talking to my bully vet. And some knowledgable breeders who have been breeding longer than I been alive. -28yrs lol
    What's the health benefit to waiting at least two heat cycles for a female? From what I understand, this significantly increases her chances of getting mammary cancer.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

With Emmitt I was going to wait 2 yrs but he wouldn't stop marking his territory so we did it I think around a yr and he is still a stocky short fat bulldog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

There's so much debate on this subject. You really just have to do research and do what you think is best. Going trough a couple heat cycles lets the female develop hormonally.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    What's the health benefit to waiting at least two heat cycles for a female? From what I understand, this significantly increases her chances of getting mammary cancer.

check out this link

http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=...s-of-Neutering

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...30930Z1RTLUBIQ
    Last edited by Scueva; 10-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the links.

Baxter Tiberius

Sounds to me like the debate is:

1) Full development is most important to one person
    2) Lowering risk of cancer and increasing longevity is important to the other person

If im reading correctly:

1) Waiting until 18-24 months ensures full maturation in males (masculinity, etc), but may increase their risk of cancers and shorter life.
    2) Waiting until 6-12 months ensures longer life and lower risk of cancer, but possibly at the expense of less development / masculinity.

If that's correct, I would opt for option 2.
    No question.
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 10-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Both my vet and the breeder where Winston came from recommended him to be neutered at 6 months, so that's what I did. If I remember correctly, his testicles had dropped and he had started showing all of the signs of an un-neutered male, so it was a good time for him. He's got a huge head (that he loves to head butt me with) so I don't think that there was any issues with growth or health issues.

I did own a Great Dane and a Mastiff prior to owning Winston and for those breeds there were significant changes in both health and development when neutering too young. I actually asked Winston's breeder about it due to my prior experience with larger breeds, and she informed me that bulldogs don't have a noticeable change (as long as it's done around 6-8 months) and that it's usually a very rare case for it to effect developmental growth. She's been breeding / showing bulldogs for over 30 years so I figured I'd take her advice

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

It's a debatable subject - each individual needs to trust their vet and make the right decision together. When to neuter is almost like talking politics to strangers- I bow out

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately there are studies made that say it's better to neuter early and studies that say it's better to waite. So you just have to make up your own mind what to believe. My boys are intact and I plan to neuter if needed, health wise. My boys get along perfectly and there is hardly a chance of accidental puppy's where I live. Voitto even could be used for breeding, but that is undetermined, he's only just under a year old. There is a chance his testicle will drop, will that make a difference in will you neuter or not? Or will you neuter any way?

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Both duchess and duchess are intact I will keep them that way unless health reasons come about. If I had a pup that didnt drop both testicles by a 12-18 months- I would neuter

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default When to neuter?

All my dogs where neutered at the age of 6 months -and grew as they should it makes me wonder if the "it will not grow or get masculine is a total rubbish " , as i didnt plan in breeding i didnt see a point keeping them intact -all of the lived long too ;-))
    Last edited by Pati Robins; 10-19-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Sounds to me like the debate is:

1) Full development is most important to one person
    2) Lowering risk of cancer and increasing longevity is important to the other person

If im reading correctly:

1) Waiting until 18-24 months ensures full maturation in males (masculinity, etc), but may increase their risk of cancers and shorter life.
    2) Waiting until 6-12 months ensures longer life and lower risk of cancer, but possibly at the expense of less development / masculinity.

If that's correct, I would opt for option 2.
    No question.
    Neutering at 18-24 months should NOT increase their risk for testicular cancer or prostate issues. If it did, I would of had Blue castrated by now. They're first reaching maturity at this age. The prostate issues don't start until they're much older.
    The point of waiting for us is not so he grows bigger, it's because testosterone does help in proper joint development which to me, is very important in bulldogs considering how they have hip issues.

In fact, ask your vet the following specific question (this is only for male bullies) and see how they answer.

1. How does neutering at 6 months of age improve my dogs health?
    The truth is it doesn't. Again, social issues- yes, marking yes.. health wise, absolutely none. There is not one study out there, that shows neutering a male dog so young decreases any kind of cancer or has any other health benefit.

edited to add: I'm wondering where exactly in this thread did you get the "Waiting until 18-24 months ensures full maturation in males (masculinity, etc), but may increase their risk of cancers and shorter life."
    No one said, or even implied anything of the sort.
    Last edited by nycbullymama; 10-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads