DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I don't have a lot of information on this, but was doing some media monitoring for my job and stumbled across this blog post that is part of the Houston Chronicle, I think. The person is involved in rescues. I'll see if I can find any additional information.

[h=1]VIP/Caution: New Dog Virus Discovered[/h]Monday, September 16, 2013
his was just brought to my attentionā€¦

A Beagle died in California. Four dogs in Colorado died at a boarding kennel but only one tested positive for the new virus. Another is sick in Illinois. (After this story posted, I was emailed that a dog in Western PA, near the Ohio border has it and one almost died of it in New Jerseyā€¦)
Every animal and health agency involved is looking into the treatment for this new virus, named DogCV for canine circovirus, if there is oneā€“and the exact cause of the deaths. Until then, it has been advised that dog owners avoid public places, or at the very least, take precaution.
Not wanting to be an alarmist, I do need you to know that from showing symptoms/acting ā€œoddā€ and sick (see further down for symptoms) to death is just days. I stress, there is no cure or treatment yet so be careful.
(I am wondering if the canine distemper serum might workā€“or a variation thereofā€“since it is made to treat the deadly distemper disease, a virus as well. I will hear from Dr. Sears later this week, the vet who discovered the distemper serum, to see what he concludes.)
In the meantime, if you own a dog, please read some or all of the articles below. Each has just a little bit more to add. It is worth your time to do so. This is very serious.
It should be noted that the deaths may not be from the circovirus alone or at allā€“it could be two things together or the circovirus could be just coincidental to something elseā€“or a co-infection. Donā€™t panic.
FYI, the dogsā€™ clinical signs included bloody diarrhea and vomiting, extreme lethargy, neurological problems and lack of appetite. Severe hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and vasculitis are associated with DogCV.
(Some vets and a whole lot of people do not even know about this yet so email, SHARE, print out the articles and drop off or mail to themā€“and get the word out!) Use the buttons above this story to Shre it/Tweet it or copy this postā€™s URL: http://blog.chron.com/fromunderthebridge/2013/09/vipcaution-new-dog-virus-discovered/
Treatment guidelines do not exist apart from supportive careā€“or prayer, both of which would be equally effective in the treatment of this virus one vet told me, which I took to mean that there is no known medical treatment yet to help a dog that contracts this illness, even though I believe in the power of prayer.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great info thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)