Side Effects of Benadryl?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hi all! Here's another thread on our favorite topic...:poo:!
Rook's stools have been getting progressively mushier. Nothing has changed in his diet or routine, but I think it may have started around the time I began giving him 25mg of Benadryl with his morning and evening meal. He weighs 50 lbs, so I think that is less than the recommended dosage, but i thought I would start low and see how he did and if it would help with his seasonal allergies at all.
I was just curious if anyone else had noticed similar side effects when giving their bully benadryl.
Thanks!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Benadryl's main side effects would be drowsiness and dry mouth but I understand that diarrhea can also be a side effect of this medication. So, the mushy poops could definitely be from the benadryl.

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Aha! Thanks [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]!
Of course when I try to help him out with the allergies, I create another problem! :bang:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep.... Nitschke had soft poo when taking it

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thanks to this thread I realized I have the same problem. I never realized Benadryl causing my :poo: problems. What are people using as a substitute?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Although we have not used it I have heard of people using Zyrtec with some success. There are many OTC antihistimines out there and they seen to use different main ingredients. Here are a few:

Examples of OTC antihistamines:
  • Allegra (fexofenadine)
  • Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
  • Dimetane (brompheniramine)
  • Claritin, Alavert (loratadine)
  • Tavist (clemastine)
  • Chlor-Trimeton (chlorpheniramine)
  • Zyrtec (certirizine)

I dont know which ones work with bullies but maybe some one here that has used any of these with their bully can let us know.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The Use Of Benadryl In Dogs, Dose Rate, Info, Side Effects.

1. Benadryl { Diphenhydramine } : Is a class of drug called an antihistamine many owners give it to their dogs when they suspect sudden onset allergic reactions, allergic skin disease and a variety of other allergy related conditions including snake bite.
This drug is available over the counter in a number of countries in the world but is not specifically licensed for animal use, that said many vets do prescribe it and it is generally though to have a high margin of safety when properly prescribed.

While it's main use is to counter allergies as an antihistamine it is also used to treat motion { car } sickness and non specific vomiting. Another use is that it has sedative properties and so some owners use it to calm their pets down when there are stressful events such as fireworks.

How it works is to counteract the effects of histamine which is released during allergic reactions, this results in a reduction or prevention of swelling and itchiness. Technically it works by affecting the body's H1 receptors.

2. Dose Rates : A reasonable oral dose rate for this drug is dogs is between 0.5 to 2 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice a day. I always think a dose rate of 1 mg per pound is a good place to start.

3. Side Effects And Precautions : This drug is generally considered to be safe and few side effects have been noted, where they have occurred they have included lethargy, sedation, vomiting, diarrhea and inappetance. As always allergic reactions are possible as they are to any drug but these are rare.

Where a dog has conditions such as glaucoma, lung disease, heart disease, some forms of thyroid disease, prostate disease or high blood pressure then this drug should be avoided. It is also contraindicated where a dog is already on some classes of drug such as barbiturates, epinephrine, tranquilisers, and heparin.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad you brought this up, Winston's poo is soft too & I was thinking it was the food... but he's been on benadryl for weeks now!!! UGH... does anyone know the dosage on the Zyrtec?!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
UGH...I have been :wallbang:trying to figure out why Brutus has been having soft like stools. As you can see by my post yesterday, we came to the conclusion it was the antibiotic he was on, but I also was giving him a benedryl for his allergies. Who knows now??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online