roscoepup

Sep 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some help. My 10 month old English Bulldog has been LICKING AT THE AIR in front of him excessively and PACING non-stop and quickly at the same time. He is doing this almost constantly when he is not on a walk or eating. He is now doing it in his crate which is difficult because that has been his (and our) place of peace from the licking.

We took him to our local vet who reffered us to an animal hospital nearby. Within 30 minutes, they reccomended we get an MRI. We decided to seek out a second opinion from a vet who specializes in bulldogs before proceeding with the MRI to see if there is anything we can rule out first.

On our first visit, Dr. T did not think it was neurological, so we held off on the MRI. He encouraged us to try to train him out of the behavior with commands, which unfortunately hasn't been working. He also told us we could try switching his food. So we have transititioned to another grain free food with a different protein, but no change.

The second visit, we explored more into the concept of OCD/ADD and that this could be behavioral. He reccomended that we get Roscoe neutered as soon as possible to see if that relieves some of this. He also said he could grow out of it with age, but he is not sure. He is scheduled to be neutured on Friday (as of now).

He also said that this could be attention-seeking behavior, but over last week we have watched closely for this and realized he does it even when we are actively playing or petting him. He will get distracted and then start on the pacing, licking and/or chewing on his paw.

Also at the second visit, he gave Roscoe an allergy shot which would last 10 days. He told us that if Roscoe was like "a new dog" in response to the shot, then it was definitely allergies. Unfortunately, we noticed no change over the 10 days.

From our standpoint, we simply can not tell if he is actually seeing something in front of his face that he is licking at or if it is something internal in his nose or head that he is trying to get at. It is very hard to tell. We have taken several videos and will show the Dr. at our third appointment today.

We just feel so bad for the poor guy. He is very distracted and seems increasingly uncomfortable. In the last few days he has rolled around on his head/ears a couple of times. It really does seem like something is driving him nuts. Needless to say, we feel pretty helpless but are doing our best to distract him and spend as much time on this as we can. We know we are in good hands with Dr. T but unfortunately, it seems that this could be MANY things. We are just trying to rule out one thing at a time.

Our biggest question now, is it time to get an MRI? If so, is it safe to have him neutered, and while under do an even more thorough exam of his mouth, ears and nose. And then have an MRI in the upcoming weeks (during which he would have to be put under again). Or is it best to have both procedures done at the same time? We are going to discuss this with Dr. T today.

I appreciate anyone's feedback who may have had a similiar experience. I have read several feeds but very few share the outcome. I will be sure to keep in touch, and I am so grateful for your help.

We desparately want to solve this for our little guy. We love him so much!

T
hank you,
Kate

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh, you poor guys-that is so upsetting. The only thing I have seen, is -one of my bullies was licking and licking her nose/the air,and pacing. What I discovered with her, was that she had a couple of FLEAS under her tail! Once I flea combed it, and gave her a bath-got rid of them, she was fine. Oh, that it would be so simple for you. I will be praying for you and your baby, that this will be solved. This is so upsetting to hear about-I am so sorry that I have no better answer.....perhaps someone on here will.:pray:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Wow.....!! Okay, this sounds as if it could be a few different things. Does he have a tail pocket that is driving him nuts? That would be the easiest thing to rule out. I've heard of bullies that will lick the air if their little bums are itchy. Unfortunately they also claim that they will scoot on the ground.

Neurological! This is my thought. I took Vegas to the neurologist last Jan because of the same type issue. When he wasn't sleeping or engaged in an activity, he would lick the air. And cry. Vegas has epilepsy....diagnosed at 10 months old. He is now 6.

http://youtu.be/zyjksDHWajc

This would go on every day. 20 to 30 times a day. We'd give him a treat ball with goodies in it and it would stop.....until the ball was empty and it would start again. Vegas would play and chase his ball so much......he lost another 5 pounds. The vet said........"this is the first time I've ever told an owner the their bulldog was underweight"

He classified it as a type of movement disorder and or petit mal seizure. He said it wasn't an area in vet medicine that was explored too much (the movement disorder) What he did was put him back on his potassium bromide and over the last 9 months.....it's basically gone away. Since the 1st of September, it's only happened twice.

Great job on getting the video. That is the best thing to show them.

I'd love to see the video and photos of your baby!

sunnyrn36

Mar 19, 2013
Waveland, Mississippi, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rube
the only time Rube has ever licked at the air or paced is when she had a itch she couldnot reach. if i find a itchy spot and scratch it for her and really get it good she will start licking the air while im scratching her. i would clean and inspect his body esp the area he cant reach (which is most of the body) and put some protective ointment like zinc oxide. or anti itch cream in any even slightly irrated area like under tail etc. and give some benadryl and see how he does. may not be right here but just saying what i would do and my experience with my 7 yo girl..hope all is ok. keep us posted

B

Baxter Tiberius

First off, please post a video of what the dog is doing. Based on how you chose to describe it, it absolutely sounds neurological.

With all due respect to Dr. T, I was kind of shocked by his theories. None of them make any sense to me. Behavioral? No. Allergies? That doesn't make any sense either. Training him out of it? No…

Based on how you have described it, there's a medical condition involved. Sorry for my frustrated tone, I really don't like doctors. 90% of them pull theories out of their rear ends and his don't even make sense. Time is being wasted (as it always is with most doctors who don't know what they're doing) while his condition could be advancing. The best advice you were given was from the hospital. Getting an MRI.

I'm not even sure and MRI would show anything, but this does sound neurological. MRIs are just visual photographs of the brain. He could still have something neurological wrong, even with a clean MRI. They are just going to look for plaques, or structural problems.

Other possibilities are simple things like a structural problem in the throat, even acid reflux. Or something similar. But if you brought him to a hospital already, those people know their stuff. And they most likely ruled out some things. If you're trying to save on expenses, maybe requesting an x-ray of the head and neck would be a good first step. Pacing can be a side symptom of whatever is really going on. At can reflect anxiety over whatever condition is really going on - such as pacing out of discomfort - Not necessarily neurological like a crazy person walking in circles.

With all of his silly theories, I'm surprised your doctor didn't touch on the possibility of a nutrition issue. Because that's the only thing I could see being a cause, based on the symptoms. And even that is remote. I would however, highly suggest finding a new doctor. Even if you like this one. No offense intended, but certain symptoms are obviously medical problems. For him to even suggest "training him to stop" reflects a total lack of awareness on medical issues in general.

Disclaimer: a video may render the doctor correct and render my comments wrong. I'd need to see how he truly "paces quickly" while licking in the air"

PS: one last tip: you will learn more than any doctor can tell you by simply Googling this. Which I'm about to do. Suggested search phrase: dog licking the air pacing problem. Or some variations of that.

Last edited:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
My first bully did this without the pacing, both of my bullys I have do this but dont pace. its not all the time maybe once a day or less. They have been doing this for over a year and are just fine ?

OP
roscoepup

roscoepup

Sep 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your quick responses! I am new to the forum so please bear with me. We are off to the vet for another visit at 12:45EST. I will add a pic & video ASAP when I get back.

I am going prepared with all of your feedback to ask questions, so thank you so much. When I return I will post an update and respond to you all. Thank you again for your detailed responses. It is truly appreciated.

Kate

OP
roscoepup

roscoepup

Sep 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I think I figured out the video. Here is one that shows how quickly the pacing is....

OP
roscoepup

roscoepup

Sep 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Here is another which shows the licking motion better.

Thank you again for your thoughts. I will be in touch soon.

Any additional feedback is always welcome.

Kate

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm no help but wish you luck in finding out how o help him..we have some very experienced members here..I know they can explain their experiences..

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Wow.....!! Okay, this sounds as if it could be a few different things. Does he have a tail pocket that is driving him nuts? That would be the easiest thing to rule out. I've heard of bullies that will lick the air if their little bums are itchy. Unfortunately they also claim that they will scoot on the ground.

Neurological! This is my thought. I took Vegas to the neurologist last Jan because of the same type issue. When he wasn't sleeping or engaged in an activity, he would lick the air. And cry. Vegas has epilepsy....diagnosed at 10 months old. He is now 6.

http://youtu.be/zyjksDHWajc

This would go on every day. 20 to 30 times a day. We'd give him a treat ball with goodies in it and it would stop.....until the ball was empty and it would start again. Vegas would play and chase his ball so much......he lost another 5 pounds. The vet said........"this is the first time I've ever told an owner the their bulldog was underweight"

He classified it as a type of movement disorder and or petit mal seizure. He said it wasn't an area in vet medicine that was explored too much (the movement disorder) What he did was put him back on his potassium bromide and over the last 9 months.....it's basically gone away. Since the 1st of September, it's only happened twice.

Great job on getting the video. That is the best thing to show them.

I'd love to see the video and photos of your baby!

I am going to second this response. When Loki had a few of his focal seizures his activity is much like the ones that you are describing. I would check his tail but then I would recommend an MRI as well.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
The videos kind of make me feel like he is trying to "hide" unfortunately when Loki was having his seizures he was also trying to "hide" the vet said that it is because he doesn't want me to know that something is wrong. I would ask the vet to run a full CBC panel to make sure that the levels are as they should be. I would also recommend giving him some honey on the inside of his lips, the vet also recommended that if the activity didn't stop to give him some ice cream to snap him out it.

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
As some have said above, it could be something as simple as a tail pocket that's uncomfortable or fleas. Maggie was doing that a lot a while back and I feared the worst, found out her tail pocket was a bit infected AND she had fleas. I eliminated both things and she doesn't do that anymore. I hope that it isn't neurological, although if it is, it's not the end of the world! My old dog had epilepsy, he lived for a long time!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe he definitely seems uncomfortable...I am of no help here all I can do is offer my prayers and hugs...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.