Help Needed! 10 Mo. Old Bullie Pup LICKING THE AIR AND PACING NON-STOP

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience, but those that do are here and helping... so I just wanted to wish you well and let you know I have you and Roscoe in my thoughts.

OP
roscoepup

roscoepup

Sep 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Hi Everyone!

I promised to give an update. I apologize for the delay. Unfortunately I do not have a solution to report YET. To quickly sum up our experience over the last few months - it has consisted of 4 different vets, blood tests, allergy tests, yeast tests, and phenobarbital which hasn't caused any noticeable change. Roscoe is a year and a half now, and the licking and pacing is still considerable and every vet we have seen seems to be torn on whether this is behavioral or neurolgical. When they say "behavioral" it is not like we think... not a personality quirk or a voluntary action. It still indicates something is awry internally and chemically but is different than neurological misfirings.

That said, we had an excellent appointment today with Tufts Veterinary Hospital in MA. We finally feel that we are with a Dr. who has seen this before and who has a "plan." They are testing his liver (again) and looking for a possible shunt (as he is smaller than his siblings). If anything turns up, there could be a physiological aspect to this that hasn't been caught yet. If nothing, the doc wants to try Prozac for 4-6 weeks to treat this as a behavioral condition. If it is "behavioral", the Prozac should have an impact within 2-3 weeks or so.

I write this in hopes that someone else with the same issue may gain value or a leg up in their own journey. I will keep you posted and wish you all well.

Kate

allaboutbulldogs

Mar 25, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy
I don't have anything to add except to say I truly doubt this is behavioural!

Yet I wanted to say what a lucky Bully you have, to be so well taken care of.
I can only imagine having spent so much $$$$ on my dogs thru the years what the expense of all this is costing you.
Yet it seems he is getting the best care money can provide.

Here's wishing your Bully a long happy life with you.
Thanks for trying so hard

OP
roscoepup

roscoepup

Sep 17, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Thank you allaboutbulldogs... We researched the breed for a couple of years before we got Roscoe and definitely we knew the risks of health complications. Though this is a surprising one (and so soon), he is a part of our family now and we see no other option than to do right by him. Despite our financial investment, the time and the stress of not knowing what this is - he has brought more joy to our lives in just a year than I could have ever imagined. We are the lucky ones :)

I don't have anything to add except to say I truly doubt this is behavioural!

Yet I wanted to say what a lucky Bully you have, to be so well taken care of.
I can only imagine having spent so much $$$$ on my dogs thru the years what the expense of all this is costing you.
Yet it seems he is getting the best care money can provide.

Here's wishing your Bully a long happy life with you.
Thanks for trying so hard