Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I noticed Ftse had mucous in his poop I have not noticed this before it was clear, I was not sure if he had eaten something and it was that but it look like clear mucous to me

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
he could have just expressed his anal gland, Julie! No worries

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Fro0m Pet MD on Google:Usually, you need not worry about seeing a small amount of mucus in your pet's stool. Dog stool normally contains some mucus -- a slime-like substance made by the intestines to keep the lining of the colon lubricated and moist.But if you notice an excessive amount of mucus in the stool, or if it is accompanied with blood or a radical change in your dog's bowel movements, seek immediate veterinary medical attention. He or she will be better able to identify the underlying cause and recommend a proper course of treatment.

L

Lucy-licious

That your noticing suggests that there us more than normal. A small amount as a one off is probably anal gland expressing. A couple of other causes for mucous in stools are worms or an irritated bowel.

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That your noticing suggests that there us more than normal. A small amount as a one off is probably anal gland expressing. A couple of other causes for mucous in stools are worms or an irritated bowel.

Can they still get worms when they are regularly wormed.? When they express their anal gland do you see mucous in it, I have never seen this before and Ftse seems fine no different I changed his food a few weeks ago to a grain free maybe it doesn't agree with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm no help on this one, I just hope that you & Ftse are doing okay!!! :D

L

Lucy-licious

Can they still get worms when they are regularly wormed.? When they express their anal gland do you see mucous in it, I have never seen this before and Ftse seems fine no different I changed his food a few weeks ago to a grain free maybe it doesn't agree with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

if he is ok I wouldn't worry too much. However if the mucous stools continue or it gets worse, or his stools get sloppy then maybe a trip to the vet is needed.
I wouldn't think he'd get worms if he's had the treatment, but I'm not 100% sure x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others said... no worries as long as the :poo: is formed and not runny

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Clear Mucus in Dogs Stool

If you find clear mucus in your pet’s stools you need to watch for any other accompanying symptoms of illness. If the clear mucus passes off within 2 days you needn’t worry. However, if the mucus is accompanied by symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy and fever you must conduct a vet check to determine what the pet is suffering from.
Other Stool-Related Symptoms to Watch for:

Straining to defecate

Trouble urinating

Blood in feces

Weight loss

Listlessness

Constipation

Fever

Pale gums

Causes of Clear Mucus of Dog Stool

There are several reasons why your dog may be passing out clear mucus in his stools. If your pet has overeaten or consumed foods that are toxic in nature, he will pass mucus in his stools and may also suffer from accompanying symptoms like abdominal pain and vomiting. Dogs suffering from intestinal parasite infections like whipworms, tapeworms and hookworms also pass mucus in their stools. As a pet owner you need to therefore examine your dog’s feces occasionally to find out he is suffering from a parasite infection. One clear indication of an intestinal parasite infection is the presence of worm segments in the feces.

Other Causes of Stool Mucus

Apart from the conditions mentioned above, dogs suffering from food allergies may also have mucus in their stools. Food allergies occur when the pet’s body becomes hypersensitive to certain ingredients that are present in meals. Dogs suffering from food allergies may also show signs of skin reactions or hives on the body. If you notice that your pet shows signs of a skin reaction and develops hives or facial swelling, it’s best to seek prompt medical care as the dog may be either allergic to medications that are being administered or ingredients that are present in food.

Diagnosis of Clear Mucus in Dog’s Stool

To find out the real cause of the problem the vet will palpate the dog’s abdomen and look for signs of swelling or fluid accumulation. The vet will also take a fresh sample of the pet’s feces and send it for laboratory analysis. If the tests are negative it doesn’t necessarily mean that the dog isn’t suffering from a parasite infection. Repeat tests will be performed at a later stage to completely rule out intestinal parasite infections. Apart from this, the vet will also perform blood and urine tests. Abdominal X-rays and ultrasounds may be performed if necessary.

Treatment for Mucus in Stool

The treatment aims at curing the underlying problem that’s present. If the dog is suffering from a food allergy, the vet will put the pet on a food trial to find out what’s causing the allergic reaction. In most cases the dog will stop passing mucus in his stools once he is fed a hypoallergenic diet. Conversely, if the dog is suffering from a parasite infection, the vet will administer certain drugs to kill the worms that are present.
These medications have to be administered very carefully as the dog’s body may suffer from a shock if too many worms die all at once. If the cause of the mucus is associated with dietary indiscretion, the vet will ask you to keep the dog on a bland diet for a few days so that the symptoms subside.
While clear mucus in the stool is not a symptom of a serious condition, it needs to be diagnosed and treated at the earliest so that the underlying condition doesn’t progress and cause complications.

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
It was just the once and the poo was formed but since I changed him to this grain free kibble he has done much bigger poo's and then this yesterday maybe I will take him off this food and go back to the Royal canine but he didn't like that but we had no problems just he wouldn't eat much and the tear stains, but I think theyre not much better on this new food maybe I'll go and get some black hawk today and try hi on that. Ftse is wormed regularly and surely he wouldn't have worms I haven't seen any in his poo I will become a poo inspector today :detective2: what are the signs of an upset stomach as he seems perfectly well in himself no different and he is not on any meds

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Since it was just the one time I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen this with ours from time to time and they are fine.

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Since it was just the one time I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen this with ours from time to time and they are fine.

That's a relief I have just looked at his poop that he just had and it is normal, but I think I will switch foods to be on the safe side while I am away

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.