Redness and pimples in nose fold - Do I need to see a Vet?

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Last night I found a a whole lot of redness, red dirt like substance under the nose fold of my English bulldog Eli. He has not been scratching it or complaining in anyway about it. I cleaned it with baby wipes and a warm/wet paper towel. This is the first time I've seen any issues with Eli.

I did search and read quite a few threads about this type of issue here on the forum. I ordered the Douxo pads from Amazon. Eli is due to get groomed on Wed morning.

Question: Do I need to take him to a Vet, ASAP? Or will the pads and time and heal this issue?

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As lokismom asked... A picture will help, but are his folds real wet and his eyes tear a lot?

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
My puppy gets that too..( from what your describing it..it would be easy if i could see a pic) my vet said it was an allergic reaction to something though. i would take him to your vet and see what they say.

Last edited:

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Last night I found a a whole lot of redness, red dirt like substance under the nose fold of my English bulldog Eli. He has not been scratching it or complaining in anyway about it. I cleaned it with baby wipes and a warm/wet paper towel. This is the first time I've seen any issues with Eli.

I did search and read quite a few threads about this type of issue here on the forum. I ordered the Douxo pads from Amazon. Eli is due to get groomed on Wed morning.

Question: Do I need to take him to a Vet, ASAP? Or will the pads and time and heal this issue?

Before we switched Bo to a grain free diet, he always had a yeasty nose (the red like dirt you speak of). I would have to clean it out, then dry it very well, then put an anti fungal cream in there. He never bothered it and it didn't bother him. It was stinky though, like yeast obviously. But it's a problem no more once we got him on the grain free diet.
If you aren't drying his nose wrinkle after you clean it, it will only get worse and turn into a yeast infection... No fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Here are a couple of photos. .
20130916_192622.jpg
20130916_192602.jpg

After I cleaned it last night and this morning its isolated just on the left side of the fold.

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
I do want to mention that he has been on Fromm beef fritata food for almost 3+ months now and has not had any issues.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Bella would get like that... I would just clean it well w/soap & water (or the pads) dry it out really good and put diaper ointment in there.

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
His eyes are not tearing more or less...have not noticed any changes there.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The douxo pads should work like a charm, it's yeast build up and that's a nice warm cozy place to grow. The douxo pads will kill the infection. It doesn't warrant a vet visit in my opinion, unless you want some panalog which will also work great.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
I have been applying the Douxo pads one or two times a day since Tuesday now. He still has the redness on the one side. How long should it take for the pads to work?

I was reading about the benefits of using apple cider vinegar. Should I try that out or just wait for the pads to work?

After I use the Douxo pads on his infection do I need to dry out the area?

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
I don't have any witch hazel. How long before the Douxo pads start working? Is there a time when I should be concerned and/or take him to Vet?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't have any witch hazel. How long before the Douxo pads start working? Is there a time when I should be concerned and/or take him to Vet?

IF you've been using the pads since Tuesday and you are not seeing any improvement then I would make a vet appointment.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
are you drying the area by dabbing after you apply the duoxo and are you using the desitin. its very important to keep the area dry. if its not better by this weekend i would seek a vet appt to make sure its not something else going on.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.