Hydrocephalus

Brokry66

Sep 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Could anyone shed some light on hydrocephalus for me? Any success stories or advice? Anything would be great! thanks so much!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I hope all is well with your baby Roscoe. I looked up hydrocephalus in dogs, and this is what I found, hope it is helpful.
Sending love, hugs and prayers.

Water on the Brain in Dogs

Hydrocephalus in Dogs

Hydrocephalus is an expansion or abnormal dilation of the ventricular system due to an increased volume of spinal fluid. In this case, the ventricles that are affected are those connected with the spinal cord. The abnormal dilation may affect only on one side of the brain, or both sides. It may involve the entire ventricular system (a set of hollow structures in the brain continuous with the central canal of the spinal cord), or only elements next to a site of ventricular system obstruction.

There are two types of hydrocephalus – obstructive and compensatory. Both compensatory and obstructive hydrocephalus can be congenital (present at birth) or acquired.

In the case of obstructive hydrocephalus, spinal fluid accumulates due to an obstruction along the normal circulatory pattern (noncommunicating hydrocephalus), or the fluid accumulates at the fluid resorption site near the meningeal arachnoid villi (communicating hydrocephalus). The meninges are composed of three membranous envelopes – the pia mater, which lies against the brain; the arachnoid, the middle layer; and the dura mater, the outer, thicker layer closest tot he skull – that surround the brain and spinal cord. Intracranial (within the skull) pressure may be high or normal. However, clinical signs may be noted when intracranial pressure is normal.

Congenital obstruction causes primary obstructive hydrocephalus. The most common site of obstruction is at the level of the mesencephalic (middle brain) aqueduct. Prenatal (before birth) infections may cause aqueductal stenosis (narrowing) with subsequent hydrocephalus. This may result in considerable disruption of the architecture of the brain.

Acquired obstruction results in secondary obstructive hydrocephalus. It is caused by tumors, abscesses, and inflammatory diseases (including inflammation resulting from hemorrhage that has been caused by traumatic injuries or other causes of bleeding). The sites of obstruction include the interventricular foramina (channels that connect the paired lateral ventricles with the third ventricle at the midline of the brain), the mesencephalic aqueduct, or the lateral apertures of the fourth ventricle.

With compensatory hydrocephalus, spinal fluid fills the space where the nervous system’s functional parts have been destroyed and/or failed to develop. Intracranial (within the brain) pressure is a normal result. This is ventricular dilation incidental to the primary disease.

Overproduction of spinal fluid can also cause hydrocephalus. However, this is rare. A tumor in the eye may also cause water on the brain.
The congenital form of hydrocephalus is more likely to occur in small and brachycephalic dogs: bulldogs, Chihuahuas, Maltese, Pomeranians, Toy Poodles, Yorkshire Terriers, Lhasa Apsos, Cairn Terriers, Boston Terriers, Pugs, and Pekingese. It is an inherited disease in Yorkshire terriers. Additionally, there is a high incidence of normal adult beagles that are found to have enlarged ventricular systems and yet are clinically without symptoms. Acquired hydrocephalus can occur in all breeds.

Congenital hydrocephalus usually becomes apparent at a few weeks up to a year of age. Acute onset of signs can occur in dogs with previously undiagnosed congenital hydrocephalus. The exact cause of this uncertain. Acquired hydrocephalus can occur at any age.

Symptoms and Types

May be without symptoms
Wetting or soiling in the house
Sleepiness
Excess vocalization
Hyperexcitability
Blindness
Seizures
A large dome-shaped head (due to intracranial swelling)
Crossed-eyes
Gait abnormalities
Coma
Abnormal breathing
Animal may arch its head back and extend all four legs

Causes

Congenital
Genetics
Prenatal infection
Parainfluenza virus (dogs)
Exposure to teratogens (drugs that interfere with fetal development) in utero
Brain hemorrhage in newborn after difficult labor
Vitamin A deficiency
Acquired
Intracranial inflammatory diseases
Masses in the cranium

Diagnosis

You will need to provide your veterinarian with a thorough and detailed history of your dog's health, including any information you have about its birth and parentage, the onset of symptoms, and any possible incidents, including minor falls, that might have preceded this condition. Your veterinarian will perform a complete physical exam on your dog, with a complete blood profile, chemical blood profile, complete blood count, an electrolyte panel, and a urinalysis, in order to effectively rule out or confirm evidence of trauma, infection, or cancer.

Diagnostic imaging is essential. Skull radiographs may help to diagnose congenital hydrocephalus, but computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are best for visualization, enabling your veterinarian to come to a definitive diagnosis.

Other diagnostic tests that can assist in the diagnosis of hydrocephalus are a spinal tap, with a laboratory analysis of the fluid, and an electroencephalogram (EEG) for measuring the brain’s electrical activity.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had a litter of pups in December, and the runt of the litter Wellie had hydrocephalus. We didn't realize that he had it until he was about 2 months old, he started to run into furniture... the pressure on his brain was so severe that he was unable to see. Around the same time he stopped eating on his own, so we had to hand feed him. We decided not to sell him because we weren't sure what his prognosis would be... our vet put him on 3 or 4 different meds to see if the swelling would go down in his brain. Sometimes the pups will actually grow out of it, the swelling goes down and they seem fine. Wellie was not one of those cases unfortunately... our vet devised a shunt to be placed in his brain to reduce the swelling, but because he was so little and weak he felt that he wouldn't even survive the surgery. I researched online for weeks about shunts & other breeds w/the disorder... to my disappointment I realized that Wellie was as severe as it could be. Wellie was losing so much weight, and we had reached the end of our rope. We decided to have him put to sleep, and I will tell you that it was one of the hardest things that I have ever done in my life!!! I'm crying as I write this... :*( He was only 3 1/2 months old, a tiny little helpless baby... and we did everything that we could but it still wasn't enough. I know in my heart that we did the right thing, his autopsy proved he had one of the worse cases of hydrocephalus that our vet had ever seen. Plus he had spina bifida as well... Gosh I'm sorry, this is not very supportive or helpful. I just wanted you to know our story, but not all is lost. Many dogs survive w/this and go on to lead fairly normal lives... I just wish more than anything that would find a way to prevent this in humans as well as dogs.

OP
Brokry66

Brokry66

Sep 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
My husband got Roscoe for my about 4 weeks ago for our wedding anniversary! he knows I have always wanted one and I was so happy and excited to get him! the couple that my husband got him from told my husband that he was utd on shots and in good health, vet checked. well we knew something was off with him after the first day. we took him straight the vet and our vet diagnosed him with hydrocephalus and said it would be best if we gave him back to the previous owners. we tried to contact them but the blocked our phone numbers and basically vanished! our vet then contacted their vet and discovered that the owners did know of Roscoe's condition, but lied to my husband. :( so know we have this sweet boy that we are hoping to give the best life too! we pray that he can live a long life. we love him so much already!

OP
Brokry66

Brokry66

Sep 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
oh my goodness! I started crying when I read your story! heartbreaking! my vet seems to think that Roscoe's case isn't severe. we are still in the unknown territory really. he currently has good vision, one eye goes outwards, we walks with a lean, walks into things, and has mild seizures about once a week. His birthday is march 3, 2013! I couldn't imagine going through what you did and having to put your sweet baby down even after all that. I am just so worried about my Roscoe. I love him :)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My husband got Roscoe for my about 4 weeks ago for our wedding anniversary! he knows I have always wanted one and I was so happy and excited to get him! the couple that my husband got him from told my husband that he was utd on shots and in good health, vet checked. well we knew something was off with him after the first day. we took him straight the vet and our vet diagnosed him with hydrocephalus and said it would be best if we gave him back to the previous owners. we tried to contact them but the blocked our phone numbers and basically vanished! our vet then contacted their vet and discovered that the owners did know of Roscoe's condition, but lied to my husband. :( so know we have this sweet boy that we are hoping to give the best life too! we pray that he can live a long life. we love him so much already!
I'm so very sorry... and I'm so ANGRY that a breeder would sell you a pup w/a pre-existing condition!!! That is the reason I refused to sell Wellie to anyone (and people still wanted him!!!)... I'm so sorry that you & your husband were lied to about your baby. Please don't give up hope... MANY dogs survive w/this, I almost wish I hadn't told you my story now. We are here to help you anyway that we can... I don't know if anyone else on here has dealt w/hyrocephalus. What has your vet said about Roscoe's prognosis?

OP
Brokry66

Brokry66

Sep 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
my vet took xrays of Roscoe but not anything else. he told us we had to wait and see what his radiologists said. he got back with us and said that Roscoe has hydrocephalus and that it would be in our best interest to give the dog back to the owners. also, he said in his experience that these dogs don't live longer than 2 years if that. I am honestly thinking about taking Roscoe to a vet that handles English bulldogs and this condition if I can find one. also, when our vet contacted the previous owners vet, that vet told ours that Roscoe hadn't had a single vaccine. he was also covered in fleas. from what I have read dogs that have hydrocephalus are harder to train so I believe the owners had kept him outside so they didn't have to mess with him. we actually are taking the previous owners to small claims court and I will have to let you all know how that goes! these people weren't breeders, but they discovered their puppy had this prognosis and decided to make their money back (that's where my big hearted husband came in lol) I started crying yesterday because for the first time since we had Roscoe, he ran to me! I was so happy inside to see him run almost like a normal pup that I lost it! tears of happiness!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh my goodness! I started crying when I read your story! heartbreaking! my vet seems to think that Roscoe's case isn't severe. we are still in the unknown territory really. he currently has good vision, one eye goes outwards, we walks with a lean, walks into things, and has mild seizures about once a week. His birthday is march 3, 2013! I couldn't imagine going through what you did and having to put your sweet baby down even after all that. I am just so worried about my Roscoe. I love him :)
Gosh I'm sorry... I just wanted you to know the truth of what happened to us, and like I said he had a VERY severe case. Let's put it this way, he would of never made it as long as he did... we were holding him to nurse, and hand feeding him. My hubby & I are HUGE animal idiots, we love all living creatures. If your vet thinks he's not severe than that is very good news... the outward eye is pretty normal for them too. Is he on any meds to help w/the pressure on his brain? Wellie was on a mix of a diuretic, anti-nausea meds, and we had to special order a prilosec. Supposedly he had done some research that it had helped w/some cases... I'm sending you lots of hugs & prayers, please don't worry we are here to support you!!! :hug2:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
my vet took xrays of Roscoe but not anything else. he told us we had to wait and see what his radiologists said. he got back with us and said that Roscoe has hydrocephalus and that it would be in our best interest to give the dog back to the owners. also, he said in his experience that these dogs don't live longer than 2 years if that. I am honestly thinking about taking Roscoe to a vet that handles English bulldogs and this condition if I can find one. also, when our vet contacted the previous owners vet, that vet told ours that Roscoe hadn't had a single vaccine. he was also covered in fleas. from what I have read dogs that have hydrocephalus are harder to train so I believe the owners had kept him outside so they didn't have to mess with him. we actually are taking the previous owners to small claims court and I will have to let you all know how that goes! these people weren't breeders, but they discovered their puppy had this prognosis and decided to make their money back (that's where my big hearted husband came in lol) I started crying yesterday because for the first time since we had Roscoe, he ran to me! I was so happy inside to see him run almost like a normal pup that I lost it! tears of happiness!
Good I'm glad that you are taking them to court... I can NOT believe that they let him live outside!!! An English BULLDOG!!! OMG this is an outrage... So they bought the puppy from someone, found out he had issues and then sold him to your husband? WTH is wrong w/people... I'm not an experienced breeder either, it was my one & only litter but we told all the owners that we would take the puppy's back if they decided not to keep them for whatever reason. Sounds like you guys were scammed big time...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I read this once but had to step away because the anger built up inside needed a good punching bag. So a pillow worked for now but as I type my frustration grows again......

I am sooooo very sorry- so so so sorry you have been a victim to another awful person/breeder/scumbag!

I cannot believe these people will purposefully do this to another human being, play on their love for animals, and then crush their hearts out of their chest with worry and heartache! What kind of human being would do this? It just kills me and I feel like screaming right now because I can only imagine the heartbreak you are feeling!!!!

Sorry I am getting a little overwhelmed here, but you are the third person I know of this week who feel victim to bad breeding practices, and are dealing with health issues because of it. So for that, I am truly so very sorry for your heartache.

I do hope you can get the help he needs, and I would certainly seek out the opinions of a good bully vet for sure.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh I am so sorry that this happened to you. I'm sending hugs and prayers that this is something that you baby can get through with your help. Of course you love your baby...and he clearly loves you! I like to think that even though you were scammed, you and your husband "rescued" Roscoe from horrible people so you could give him love and help.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It is so disgusting what Roscoes owners did, they knowingly sold him knowing his condition, and didn't disclose it. Im sorry you and Roscoe are having to go theough this. Not only did they not help him themselves, and take him to the vet and get him the medical treatment he needed, they also didn't disclose his condition to you, so you didn't know, and so weren't able to make the informed decision of either not buying him before you bonded with him, but he also needlessly suffered longer because you didn't know. These people blocked your phone number, but did they also move? I would try and find these people if for no other reason to let them know what scumbags they are, and to also ask for either part of your money back for your pup, to help offset the costs of his vet bills, or ask them to contribute money towards his vet bills, especially since they already knew he had the hydrocephalus before they sold him. Thank goodness he is with you, as he will be well loved, and will get the proper treatment and care. People like his owners don't deserve to own an animal, they are only in it for the money and profit of selling the pups, and have no heart or compassion for the health and life of the pups. I have two EB siblings, they are litter mates, a male named Bulldozer, and a female named Blossom, they are now 19 months old, and both of them at 5 months of age developed a genetic defect, Blossom developed cherry eye in both eyes, which is a common occurrence with this breed and other Breaphealic breeds of dogs, so I wasn't too surprised or upset about, we had both eyes repaired at the same time as we spayed her at the age of 7 months. Her brother developed a severe underbite at 5 months of age, he didn't have it when we bought him, but after a growth spurt, his lower jaw grew much longer than normal, and as a result his upper and lower teeth don't meet, and this causes his tongue to hang out most of the time, and he's also congenially missing some lower molars on the lower jaw. This doesn't cause him any pain, but because of this, he eats much slower than his sister, I add warm water to his kibble, to make it softer for him to eat it, plus we make sure he always has water as his tongue does get dry sometimes. My vet says it is a severe underbite, and is considered a genetic defect. I could have taken him back and gotten another puppy, or my money back, but I didn't want, that was never an option for me, as I had picked him, and I already had bonded with him, he was my baby. These sweet dogs really have such personalities and character and they really have a way of wrapping around our hearts. He is a total sweetheart, very gentle, and a big cuddle muffin, I wouldn't trade him or his sister for anything, plus I think it gives him more character with his tongue hanging out, and I say God made him like that. I love him just the way he is. I did however call the breeder to let them know that both pups did have these genetic defects, just to let him know, as he shouldn't be using their parents for breeding due to these traits. I hope Roscoe outgrows this, or that the vet can treat him and he gets better soon. Sending hugs, love and prayers to you and Roscoe. Feel better Buddy, and Thank goodness he's in your hands. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.