Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
    Likes (Received)

Default Matilda's fur

This is a new one for me.. why is Matilda going bald?? If you look at the attached picture you will see her bald spot in the bottom part of the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -uploadfromtaptalk1379263865279-jpg  

Who wouldn't love that face???

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Matilda's fur

First of all what food Matilda is on,is she allergic to anything,became itchy recently ,does her fur feels dry or flakey or taking any medication that can contain steroids?
    Those are most common hair loss causes ,sometimes change of food, can do the trick
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Bulldog Spoiler Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

The dog food I feed her is whatever she is happy to eat. From the time we brought her home almost 3 years ago, she has been very picky with her food. She does not like that very expensive dog food. Since she was 1 year old she has had little hairless patches on her head. We have tried raw, but that got expensive with just one person working. As far as her being allergic to anything, just certain laundry detergents and chicken flavored dog food. She is on no medications that contains steroids. If I could get away with it, I wouldn't vaccinate her either. She is not spayed either if that is important to help figuring this out.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hmm i so sorry ,but i got no clue -shy had a balding patch on her tail so we started adding a bit of salmon oil to her (salmon lol ) dog food and this helped
    Hope someone come here with the answer x
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Have you noticed her rubbing against things? Anal glands need cleaning? Fleas(they like it under tail,around anus) Has she been away from home, where she could have gotten mange? Just thoughts........................
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Dang! Not Sassypants! Maybe @Sherry or @cowsmom will have an idea!

Lucy-licious

I simply have no idea
    maybe try salmon oil or coconut oil...both are great for the coat. Coconut oil needs to be raw coconut oil though x

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Lola had some bald spots that kept me guessing for a long time. thought it was mange, but ended up being food allergies. Lola is also very picky and we went through many kibbles with her really only eating the cheddar cheese toppers for months. finally switched to nvi raw Patties. first beef, bald spot got bigger. then venison, which lessened the paw licking. she only started growing hair back when i snuck in two raw wild salmon nuggets a few times a week. and it grew back fully!! the nvi raw is about $50/12 days plus salmon nuggets ends up being $150 month. i am just happy she's not bald or itchy. you can look up my threads and check out the bald pics.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

it doesn't look like infection or any of that stuff, it looks almost like seasonal alopecia, that can come and go, but, mine will only get it in the winter. if it's not itchy, at least that's a good thing
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog Spoiler Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Have you noticed her rubbing against things? Anal glands need cleaning? Fleas(they like it under tail,around anus) Has she been away from home, where she could have gotten mange? Just thoughts........................
    The only thing she is rubbing or trying to rub is her girly part (she is about to go into heat).. Anal glands are in great condition. No fleas, we make sure of that, Matilda is allergic to fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Dang! Not Sassypants! Maybe @Sherry or @cowsmom will have an idea!
    Yes Becky, Sassy Pants is loosing fur..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious View Post
    I simply have no idea
    maybe try salmon oil or coconut oil...both are great for the coat. Coconut oil needs to be raw coconut oil though x
    I thought the same thing. Do I just give it to her with food or can I also rub it into the bald spot??

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    Lola had some bald spots that kept me guessing for a long time. thought it was mange, but ended up being food allergies. Lola is also very picky and we went through many kibbles with her really only eating the cheddar cheese toppers for months. finally switched to nvi raw Patties. first beef, bald spot got bigger. then venison, which lessened the paw licking. she only started growing hair back when i snuck in two raw wild salmon nuggets a few times a week. and it grew back fully!! the nvi raw is about $50/12 days plus salmon nuggets ends up being $150 month. i am just happy she's not bald or itchy. you can look up my threads and check out the bald pics.

I would love to move Mattie back to raw. With limited income it is just a no go right now..

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    it doesn't look like infection or any of that stuff, it looks almost like seasonal alopecia, that can come and go, but, mine will only get it in the winter. if it's not itchy, at least that's a good thing
    Yes!! It is not itchy at all!!! Thank god.. That is why I am scratching my head on this one..

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mack&MatildasMommy View Post
    The only thing she is rubbing or trying to rub is her girly part (she is about to go into heat).. Anal glands are in great condition. No fleas, we make sure of that, Matilda is allergic to fleas.

Yes Becky, Sassy Pants is loosing fur..

I thought the same thing. Do I just give it to her with food or can I also rub it into the bald spot??

I would love to move Mattie back to raw. With limited income it is just a no go right now..

Yes!! It is not itchy at all!!! Thank god.. That is why I am scratching my head on this one..
    well its a good thing she's not irritated by it, for sure Lola was bald for months so you have some time to figure it out. alopecia usually has darker skin under the fur that's lost. i thought Lola had that as well but just didn't look the same. good luck

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Since it's not itchy I'm very curious, I would just brush and stimulate the skin often and wash her with a good antibacterial antifungal shampoo.... see if there is any improvement...I love pharmaseb shampoo. It does kinda look like mange possibly but it could be fungal too- but not yeast.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads