Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
This is a new one for me.. why is Matilda going bald?? If you look at the attached picture you will see her bald spot in the bottom part of the picture.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379263865279.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379263865279.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 156

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
First of all what food Matilda is on,is she allergic to anything,became itchy recently ,does her fur feels dry or flakey or taking any medication that can contain steroids?
Those are most common hair loss causes ,sometimes change of food, can do the trick

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The dog food I feed her is whatever she is happy to eat. From the time we brought her home almost 3 years ago, she has been very picky with her food. She does not like that very expensive dog food. Since she was 1 year old she has had little hairless patches on her head. We have tried raw, but that got expensive with just one person working. As far as her being allergic to anything, just certain laundry detergents and chicken flavored dog food. She is on no medications that contains steroids. If I could get away with it, I wouldn't vaccinate her either. She is not spayed either if that is important to help figuring this out.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hmm i so sorry ,but i got no clue -shy had a balding patch on her tail so we started adding a bit of salmon oil to her (salmon lol ) dog food and this helped
Hope someone come here with the answer x

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Have you noticed her rubbing against things? Anal glands need cleaning? Fleas(they like it under tail,around anus) Has she been away from home, where she could have gotten mange? Just thoughts........................

L

Lucy-licious

I simply have no idea :(
maybe try salmon oil or coconut oil...both are great for the coat. Coconut oil needs to be raw coconut oil though x

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had some bald spots that kept me guessing for a long time. thought it was mange, but ended up being food allergies. Lola is also very picky and we went through many kibbles with her really only eating the cheddar cheese toppers for months. finally switched to nvi raw Patties. first beef, bald spot got bigger. then venison, which lessened the paw licking. she only started growing hair back when i snuck in two raw wild salmon nuggets a few times a week. and it grew back fully!! the nvi raw is about $50/12 days plus salmon nuggets ends up being $150 month. i am just happy she's not bald or itchy. you can look up my threads and check out the bald pics.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
it doesn't look like infection or any of that stuff, it looks almost like seasonal alopecia, that can come and go, but, mine will only get it in the winter. if it's not itchy, at least that's a good thing

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you noticed her rubbing against things? Anal glands need cleaning? Fleas(they like it under tail,around anus) Has she been away from home, where she could have gotten mange? Just thoughts........................

The only thing she is rubbing or trying to rub is her girly part (she is about to go into heat).. Anal glands are in great condition. No fleas, we make sure of that, Matilda is allergic to fleas.

Dang! Not Sassypants! Maybe @Sherry or @cowsmom will have an idea!

Yes Becky, Sassy Pants is loosing fur..

I simply have no idea :(
maybe try salmon oil or coconut oil...both are great for the coat. Coconut oil needs to be raw coconut oil though x

I thought the same thing. Do I just give it to her with food or can I also rub it into the bald spot??

Lola had some bald spots that kept me guessing for a long time. thought it was mange, but ended up being food allergies. Lola is also very picky and we went through many kibbles with her really only eating the cheddar cheese toppers for months. finally switched to nvi raw Patties. first beef, bald spot got bigger. then venison, which lessened the paw licking. she only started growing hair back when i snuck in two raw wild salmon nuggets a few times a week. and it grew back fully!! the nvi raw is about $50/12 days plus salmon nuggets ends up being $150 month. i am just happy she's not bald or itchy. you can look up my threads and check out the bald pics.

I would love to move Mattie back to raw. With limited income it is just a no go right now..

it doesn't look like infection or any of that stuff, it looks almost like seasonal alopecia, that can come and go, but, mine will only get it in the winter. if it's not itchy, at least that's a good thing

Yes!! It is not itchy at all!!! Thank god.. That is why I am scratching my head on this one..

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
The only thing she is rubbing or trying to rub is her girly part (she is about to go into heat).. Anal glands are in great condition. No fleas, we make sure of that, Matilda is allergic to fleas.

Yes Becky, Sassy Pants is loosing fur..

I thought the same thing. Do I just give it to her with food or can I also rub it into the bald spot??

I would love to move Mattie back to raw. With limited income it is just a no go right now..

Yes!! It is not itchy at all!!! Thank god.. That is why I am scratching my head on this one..

well its a good thing she's not irritated by it, for sure Lola was bald for months so you have some time to figure it out. alopecia usually has darker skin under the fur that's lost. i thought Lola had that as well but just didn't look the same. good luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Since it's not itchy I'm very curious, I would just brush and stimulate the skin often and wash her with a good antibacterial antifungal shampoo.... see if there is any improvement...I love pharmaseb shampoo. It does kinda look like mange possibly but it could be fungal too- but not yeast.

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Since it's not itchy I'm very curious, I would just brush and stimulate the skin often and wash her with a good antibacterial antifungal shampoo.... see if there is any improvement...I love pharmaseb shampoo. It does kinda look like mange possibly but it could be fungal too- but not yeast.

The shampoo... Where can I get it???

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.