Breathing

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
So today, I heard a pug owner got elective surgery, $100, on both his pugs. Something about their airways. Apparently their running is improved, they're quieter, and life in general is easier on their hearts.

Good idea for bulldogs? Anyone here do it?

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I've never heard of it..... But i'll assure you and everyone else, My Boys will never be put under Anesthesia for an Elective surgery. I'll make the decisions, as medically necessary, if given no other option. No consideration other than a must do, Then i'll have to take the choice. Bully's and Anestesia aren't a good combination from what i've read. I'm sure you will get more in depth responses and feedback from others, this is just my opinion.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
(sorry never heard of this term -is it for nose?) if it is It all depends , i was speaking with my vet and she is also a bulldog owner ,she was quite disgust with a state of bulldogs lately she said she gets loads with faces pushed in so much (high) they have problems breathing -therefore widening nostrils to help them is the only option to improve their breathing .
If you have any concerns the best thing you can do is speak to your vet on the next appointment , but like with any surgery there are risks involved

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I know some bulldog owners have had to get surgery on their babies because there was no choice. I would never elect to do it if it wasn't critical. I'm lucky in that Dudley is a bit of a larger bully and his head and face aren't quite as "smooshed" as some of the other bullies I've seen lately. I have a neighbor a few blocks over whose bullies (she has two) who have enormous breathing issues because their heads are so large -- unnaturally large. Some breeders are irresponsible.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm guessing he widened their nares... It really depends on whether or not your bullies nares are narrow or not. But I know it would cost more than. $100 to do it just the anesthesia alone costs more than that. If you look inside their nose with a flashlight the opening should be obvious, a circle.... All the way up..... But if its a slit instead of a circle this may be an option for you.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So today, I heard a pug owner got elective surgery, $100, on both his pugs. Something about their airways. Apparently their running is improved, they're quieter, and life in general is easier on their hearts.

Good idea for bulldogs? Anyone here do it?

i had this done to my boy back in 2006... But he really needed it as it had sleep apnea issues and our vet also would not do this procedure until he was at least two years old. Our total cost due to other issue that had to be addressed for better breathing was $2500... But as other have stated, if it is not necessary you should avoid have a bully go under.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Hey! Thanks for all your input.

I believe the procedure is uvula trimming? Either or, he'll be under anyway, cuz he's getting fixed, so..... why not? Does that change anybody's opinion??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey! Thanks for all your input.

I believe the procedure is uvula trimming? Either or, he'll be under anyway, cuz he's getting fixed, so..... why not? Does that change anybody's opinion??

never heard that term, when I look it up it seems to be similar to tonsils

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
its the hangy ball thing in the back of our throats

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions