Help Needed! I need help and guidance for Pancha's skin Allergy?

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
Hello Guys, I've been going through a lot of threads here on this forum, all very insightful yet I feel like I really need to reach out and ask for help, something I never tend to do but Panchas skin hasn't really cleared and I'm going roughly about 3 months trying to figure out what to do. I will add photos to give you all a visual to what I'm referring too. About three months ago Pancha started losing a small patch of hair just above her left shoulder blade, at first I thought I knew what it was, thinking OMG! she's having her first hotspot!!!! so I went out and bought all Sulfodine 3-way ointment, Sulfodine oil, tea tree oil spray from vets best or something like that (I'm at work so I don't remember the actual name) and even Vetricyn that Cesar Milan talks about, Vetricyn seemed to lower the pinkness and stopped her from itching but it stopped working. During this time, I was still giving her Beniful, IM SOOOOO SORRYYYY GUYSSS, yes I wasn't aware of what I was doing to my dog, and thats when I found this forum, while reading up on useful articles I came across the Food section and thats when I realized i might have caused this to her, I immediately went out and bought Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Salmon) 26lb. bag. so as of almost two months I've been giving her Blue Wilderness and she's on her second bag, this time the chicken flavored kind, Im also adding a spoonful of yogurt into her food because I started to think it was never hot spots rather more a yeast infection. and thus I am here now, thinking that again, its neither of those two but rather Demodex mange, I know Im should assume, but now I feel that I have to result in taking her to the vet, I haven't yet since I was afraid they would force me into getting her into some type of steroids or antibiotics, especially after reading some stories about pet owners being reported for animal cruelty and black mailed into using said vet recommendations. Yes i was paranoid. Anyways, I cannot think that way any longer so I need and want to take her get tested but I don't know any good vet around my area so im hopeful someone here can direct to a good place where they can help me and not stiff me. Pancha is great, she doesn't scratch really and doesn't show sign of pain or discomfort, and as of right now, she actually enjoy being sprayed with Water mixed with apple cider vinegar. any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

P.S. I've also used cortisone cream which help eliminate a hot spot behind her ear she no longer has, now its super light pink and her little fuzzy hair is growing back.
IMG_3369.jpgIMG_3735.jpgIMG_4366.jpgIMG_4498.jpgIMG_7948.jpg

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Have you had a skin scraping? Could be demodectic mange. They will prescribe ivermectin orally and maybe a shampoo if that's what it is.

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] I haven't yet; I'm actually looking for a vet right now, so Im hoping someone her can help me find one near 90201 area, I just recently purchase GNC's pets medicated anti-bacterial anti-fungal shampoo and conditioner after it being recommended by an employee from petsmart. so far I've done two baths this week

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
@Scueva I haven't yet; I'm actually looking for a vet right now, so Im hoping someone her can help me find one near 90201 area, I just recently purchase GNC's pets medicated anti-bacterial anti-fungal shampoo and conditioner after it being recommended by an employee from petsmart. so far I've done two baths this week

Thats the same shampoo I use- my vet approves as it has chlorwhexidine. I'm currently battling demodectic with my 6month old duke.

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] Im sorry to hear about Duke and I totally feel where you're coming from, have you had any success or have you noticed improvement using the shampoo? my Pancha is turning 11 months by the end of September.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
What a pretty girl! Looooove the brindle. Haven't been on here in awhile, but I caught your post on my twitter feed. Our girl had some skin stuff that came and went with this latest heat wave (we're in San Diego), but when I looked at your pictures they reminded me of mange.

She looks about the same age (young) as Lupe was when her mange showed up. We had to treat her with ivermectin, which is tricky stuff (same as heartworm "preventative") and requires careful dosing. There might be some home remedies to address mild cases, but I would not recommend getting ivermectin on your own. Some websites give instructions for that, but...I'm would be too scared.

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
[MENTION=2101]SunDog[/MENTION] thanks for complimenting Pancha, she is adorable alright :) and thanks for your suggestion on not getting Ivermectin on my own, the only way i'd really do it is if a vet on here would prescribe me the correct dosage based on her bio, but even at that, i'd be skipping the skin scrape to see what exactly she has, even though im almost certain it'll be mange.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
@SunDog thanks for complimenting Pancha, she is adorable alright :) and thanks for your suggestion on not getting Ivermectin on my own, the only way i'd really do it is if a vet on here would prescribe me the correct dosage based on her bio, but even at that, i'd be skipping the skin scrape to see what exactly she has, even though im almost certain it'll be mange.

I can't say that the shampoo itself is doing much but he hasn't had any new spots since being on the ivermectin

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
I can't say that the shampoo itself is doing much but he hasn't had any new spots since being on the ivermectin
Gotcha! I definitely have to find a vet soon then, thanks for your words.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Have you checked out our vet recommendation article? Go to home on Navibar and look on left. We live in Monrovia and know a couple vets around us..but that's not very convenient for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a pretty girl! I have no additional advice, but wanted to send well wishes and ask to keep us posted on your girl.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We were battling a skin issue with Sheldon nothing the vet could shed any light on I took him in and we did a scraping his demodex had not come back there were no mites in any of the scrapings that were taken, upon advice from Phil [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] we started giving Sheldon salmon oil and he has hair growing back in those spots as well as using Hibiclens on his neck where it looked raw it is now looking very well. I also changed his food (whole other discussion).

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
Have you checked out our vet recommendation article? Go to home on Navibar and look on left. We live in Monrovia and know a couple vets around us..but that's not very convenient for you.

I haven't actually, I'm going to check it out; Monrovia is sorta far but if it's the only one close to me it's worth trying; especially if someone from here is recommending them :) thank you [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
We were battling a skin issue with Sheldon nothing the vet could shed any light on I took him in and we did a scraping his demodex had not come back there were no mites in any of the scrapings that were taken, upon advice from Phil [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] we started giving Sheldon salmon oil and he has hair growing back in those spots as well as using Hibiclens on his neck where it looked raw it is now looking very well. I also changed his food (whole other discussion).
[MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION] thanks for the salmon oil advice, how do you apply it, in water? Or his food? I don't know and haven't heard of hibiclens so I'll definitely be checking that out; but yeah, I've already switched her food to blue buffalo wilderness brand

OP
chucho90044

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
What a pretty girl! I have no additional advice, but wanted to send well wishes and ask to keep us posted on your girl.

Thank you, your wishes are well received and yes, I will most definitely post updates on her improvement :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.