Allergy Season is kicking our butts!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
It has been so dry here this Summer and Fall now is not looking much better. I have been giving Loki benedryl a few times a day but I am looking to find out if there is something that is safe and effective for 12-24 hours. I already have to give him his Pheno 2 times a day which involves me shoving it in his throat (he is too smart and will eat whatever I wrap the pills in and spit the pills out) I hate to have to do it more often then I need too, I am worried that cramming pills in his mouth 4 times a day is going to make him hate taking his Pheno which he has to have. Allergy season here can last months last year they got so bad that he was put on predisone to help but I want to avoid that since his Pheno makes him so tired anyways. Any help is greatly appreciated!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer is a real PILL (excuse the pun... LOL) when taking pills too... I buy those Greenies Pill Pockets, and I hold her head up & rub her neck until she swallows!!! Works every time... that damn dog could hold a pill for minutes before she would spit them out. I saw on another thread about giving dogs Zyrtec... not sure if that would work w/Loki's other meds, but I thought I would at least let you know!!! Good Luck :D

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Thanks [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I called our vet but she is in surgeries today so I figured I would come to the next best place ( in some cases the best place)

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks @ddnene I called our vet but she is in surgeries today so I figured I would come to the next best place ( in some cases the best place)
Oh I agree w/that one... LOL I hope you can find something soon so Loki isn't so miserable :(

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
It has been so dry here this Summer and Fall now is not looking much better. I have been giving Loki benedryl a few times a day but I am looking to find out if there is something that is safe and effective for 12-24 hours. I already have to give him his Pheno 2 times a day which involves me shoving it in his throat (he is too smart and will eat whatever I wrap the pills in and spit the pills out) I hate to have to do it more often then I need too, I am worried that cramming pills in his mouth 4 times a day is going to make him hate taking his Pheno which he has to have. Allergy season here can last months last year they got so bad that he was put on predisone to help but I want to avoid that since his Pheno makes him so tired anyways. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sorry Nicole, Im new to the allergies discussions...when you say that Loki has them what does that look like? I think Ulysses is showing signs of it, sneezing alot and runny nose. Did your vet prescribe benedryl?

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Oh I agree w/that one... LOL I hope you can find something soon so Loki isn't so miserable :(
Last night was really bad he had a ton of phlegm which scares the hell out of us. We tried the lemon juice trick and it didn't help at all. It freaks me out because he coughs and coughs and coughs trying to get it up and he can't alone most of the time I have to shove my hand in there to make him gag then it comes out. Just another thing to add to the stresses of him being home alone all day. With how bad they are this year it seems to be constant phlegm all day long so sad for my baby. I can use a netty pot to get the crap out of me but he can't :(

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Benedryl is over the counter 1mg per pound, the vet recommends benedryl for him never really asked about anything else until today. He has a lot of phlegm, sneezing, runny eyes all the classic human allergy symptoms.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Last night was really bad he had a ton of phlegm which scares the hell out of us. We tried the lemon juice trick and it didn't help at all. It freaks me out because he coughs and coughs and coughs trying to get it up and he can't alone most of the time I have to shove my hand in there to make him gag then it comes out. Just another thing to add to the stresses of him being home alone all day. With how bad they are this year it seems to be constant phlegm all day long so sad for my baby. I can use a netty pot to get the crap out of me but he can't :(
Has the vet seen him? I'm just wanting to know for sure if it's allergies... [MENTION=9632]HandsomeUlysses[/MENTION]
If your dog has clear discharge, watery red eyes & sneezing than it's likely allergies!!! You can get benadryl over the counter at any store...

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Has the vet seen him? I'm just wanting to know for sure if it's allergies... @HandsomeUlysses
If your dog has clear discharge, watery red eyes & sneezing than it's likely allergies!!! You can get benadryl over the counter at any store...
Yep she saw him yesterday and knew right away they were bad. I only gave him one pill since I wasn't sure if it would mess up his blood panels that were taken yesterday. She said that seasonal allergies for pets has been the worst she has seen this year.

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Has the vet seen him? I'm just wanting to know for sure if it's allergies... @HandsomeUlysses

Thanks Tracey and Nicole. It was really cold here in toronto and then got really hot and humid all of a sudden. Ulysses kept on sneezing this morning, runny nose and extra slobber (for a lack of a better word). I will try benedryl and hope to not have too much difficulty feeding it to him.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Thanks Tracey and Nicole. It was really cold here in toronto and then got really hot and humid all of a sudden. Ulysses kept on sneezing this morning, runny nose and extra slobber (for a lack of a better word). I will try benedryl and hope to not have too much difficulty feeding it to him.

Good luck :) Let us know if it helps any. Might not be a bad idea to bring him to the vet too just so they can have records on it as well

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Have you thought about giving him liquid Benedryl?... It might be easier to squirt into his mouth with a syringe than to give him pills... Also, maybe you could stir it around in some peanut butter or yogurt... then he can't separate it from the "yummy"... sneaky sneaky :)

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Have you thought about giving him liquid Benedryl?... It might be easier to squirt into his mouth with a syringe than to give him pills... Also, maybe you could stir it around in some peanut butter or yogurt... then he can't separate it from the "yummy"... sneaky sneaky :)
Tricky tricky! I have not thought about that!!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is a mess right now with his allergies, we have had monsoons here daily, then it gets bright and sunny and high 90's plus humidity. His eyes were almost completely swelled shut, with an ulcer on his left eye. I took him to the vet yesterday. He got a shot of steroid, and antibiotic, antibiotic eye drops and some pain pills. What a difference 24 hours makes his eyes are still swollen, but at least I can see his eyeballs now.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Poor Vegas! I hate how bad they are right now I am miserable he is miserable Sean is miserable for once I can't wait for the frost!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online