Another Dog Poop Question...

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Khaleesi is just a few days over three months old now. She weighs 17 lbs, and the vet told us that was a good weight for her age. But her poop. Ugh. She probably goes about 4 times a day, and it's pretty soft and mushy. (REALLY hard to clean out of the grass) When we got her she was eating Science Diet puppy, and we switched her to Fromms Beef Fritatta Veg. (I realized it wasn't a puppy formula after I had already opened the bag, so we decided to go ahead and try it) She just finished her first medium sized bag of it. We try to feed her only 2 cups a day, but she barks at us as if she's still hungry sometimes so she may get 3 cups on some days. (she recently found her voice!)

Does this sound like a human error, or a food issue?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi is just a few days over three months old now. She weighs 17 lbs, and the vet told us that was a good weight for her age. But her poop. Ugh. She probably goes about 4 times a day, and it's pretty soft and mushy. (REALLY hard to clean out of the grass) When we got her she was eating Science Diet puppy, and we switched her to Fromms Beef Fritatta Veg. (I realized it wasn't a puppy formula after I had already opened the bag, so we decided to go ahead and try it) She just finished her first medium sized bag of it. We try to feed her only 2 cups a day, but she barks at us as if she's still hungry sometimes so she may get 3 cups on some days. (she recently found her voice!)

Does this sound like a human error, or a food issue?

It sounds like you might have switched to fast, I would do the bland diet for 3 days and then she needs to be fed 3 times a day 3/4 cup each time with a little hot water mixed in let it cool to the touch of your wrist, stay on the Fromms it's the best there is.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
It sounds like you might have switched to fast, I would do the bland diet for 3 days and then she needs to be fed 3 times a day 3/4 cup each time with a little hot water mixed in let it cool to the touch of your wrist, stay on the Fromms it's the best there is.

Well, we took over a week to switch her over gradually. Should we have taken longer than that?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sometimes it does, I've tagged others that are food experts on here and will be able to help us out.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Don't go back now, add 1 tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin with 1 meal, and stool can be soft if overfed. Try to keep her around 2-1/2 cups a day, if you can divide that into 3 that would be best. If she's still hungry give her healthy treats such as fresh banana, frozen green bean, baby carrots , blueberries , things like that.

check out the food list that is not safe for dogs.

no grapes or raisins. no onion etc.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Im no expert but I bet if you switched to chicken and potatoes or rice the poop quantity would drop instantly, and start coming out solid!

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Don't go back now, add 1 tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin with 1 meal, and stool can be soft if overfed. Try to keep her around 2-1/2 cups a day, if you can divide that into 3 that would be best. If she's still hungry give her healthy treats such as fresh banana, frozen green bean, baby carrots , blueberries , things like that.

check out the food list that is not safe for dogs.

no grapes or raisins. no onion etc.

Thank you! I have been waiting to try those sorts of snacks until I can figure out which base food agrees with her the best. Since her poop is always like this, I would imagine that the pumpkin would just be a temporary fix? Or is that just to get her back on track and then start supplementing with the frozen treats?

Im no expert but I bet if you switched to chicken and potatoes or rice the poop quantity would drop instantly, and start coming out solid!

Why do you say that? I was afraid to start her off on a chicken food because of the high rate of bully/chicken allergy.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
the pumpkin will solidify the poop within a day or two, use for a couple of days or a week it's ok, pumpkin is fiber, just a bit will stiffen it up, too much will loosen it up. check poop carefully for any parasites also.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! I have been waiting to try those sorts of snacks until I can figure out which base food agrees with her the best. Since her poop is always like this, I would imagine that the pumpkin would just be a temporary fix? Or is that just to get her back on track and then start supplementing with the frozen treats?

Why do you say that? I was afraid to start her off on a chicken food because of the high rate of bully/chicken allergy.

You're right. No matter what stay away from any chicken products.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I bet if you give him chicken and rice/potatoes his poop will be fixed right away

Because it worked wonders for Baxter. And several here have told me that chicken/rice is exactly what is given to dogs when they have irritated digestive systems. And thirdly, the breeder randomly suggested giving him chicken as well, after he heard about Baxters 10x per day runny poops from processed kibble dog food. Also from reading that chicken/rice/potatoes is considered extremely calming digestive-wise. Also folks here have said in some threads that chicken is in fact quite good for bulldogs. And finally, the BARF diet which is, as i understand it, the gold standard for the best possible whole food healthy meal you can give an english bulldog with all their digestive issues, includes ample amounts of chicken meat, bones, and other parts.

Not sure where bully chicken allergy fits in with all of that.

I am not 100% sold that English Bulldogs have official allergic reactions to actual whole-food chicken. I could be wrong about that, but thus far I have only seen mention of "Trying the chicken flavor" in processed kibble dog food associated with problems. I have not yet (in my vast 3 weeks of being here lol ...) heard of actual chicken causing problems. And even then, I would look first at what else he is eating. Chicken allergy in general is extremely rare. I'd moreso assume there's something else setting the pup off. But again, i could be 100% totally wrong and I hope someone will correct me on that.

I give it to Baxter because I know from my own experience that chicken is the meat protein that is easiest on the digestive system in most mammals, and along with the potatoes, it solidified his poop literally immediately.

I know this isn't really politically correct to think this way here, but my personal opinion, based upon understanding of nutrition, is that pumpkin stuff does not fix any problem whatsoever. All it does is change the consistency of the poop artificially. And that doesn't address your issue at all. This is why when Baxter had diarrhea and people suggested pumpkin, I didn't bother. I knew pumpkin didn't have anything in it which was anti-inflammatory to irritable bowel syndrome or leaky gut or allergies. All it does is introduce a different texture, and make the owner feel better that the poop seems harder. The problem is still present. I knew that non inflammatory protein sources that are easy to digest would get him his nutrients without agitating his digestive system, so I switched him to a paleo-esque diet (chicken, rice, potatoes, some beef, veggies) in whole food form. Worked immediately.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Because it worked wonders for Baxter. And several here have told me that chicken/rice is exactly what is given to dogs when they have irritated digestive systems. And thirdly, the breeder randomly suggested giving him chicken as well, after he heard about Baxters 10x per day runny poops from processed kibble dog food. Also from reading that chicken/rice/potatoes is considered extremely calming digestive-wise. Also folks here have said in some threads that chicken is in fact quite good for bulldogs. And finally, the BARF diet which is, as i understand it, the gold standard for the best possible whole food healthy meal you can give an english bulldog with all their digestive issues, includes ample amounts of chicken meat, bones, and other parts.

I am not 100% sold that English Bulldogs have official allergic reactions to actual whole-food chicken. I could be wrong about that, but thus far I have only seen mention of "Trying the chicken flavor" in processed kibble dog food associated with problems. I have not yet (in my vast 3 weeks of being here lol ...) heard of actual chicken causing problems. And even then, I would look first at what else he is eating. Chicken allergy in general is extremely rare. I'd moreso assume there's something else setting the pup off. But again, i could be 100% totally wrong and I hope someone will correct me on that.

I give it to Baxter because I know from my own experience that chicken is the meat protein that is easiest on the digestive system in most mammals, and along with the potatoes, it solidified his poop literally immediately.

I know this isn't really politically correct to think this way here, but my personal opinion, based upon understanding of nutrition, is that pumpkin stuff does not fix any problem whatsoever. All it does is change the consistency of the poop artificially. And that doesn't address your issue at all. This is why when Baxter had diarrhea and people suggested pumpkin, I didn't bother. I knew pumpkin didn't have anything in it which was anti-inflammatory to irritable bowel syndrome or leaky gut or allergies. All it does is introduce a different texture, and make the owner feel better that the poop seems harder. The problem is still present. I knew that non inflammatory protein sources that are easy to digest would get him his nutrients without agitating his digestive system, so I switched him to a paleo-esque diet (chicken, rice, potatoes, some beef, veggies) in whole food form. Worked immediately.

Just my $0.02

I think it's the processing if the chicken in kibble, and the huge population of bullies that are allergic to chicken that gives the idea to stay away from it. But no, if your bully isn't allergic then its perfectly fine and a great protein to feed.....But if you are having allergy problems then avoiding chicken in kibble seems to help so many. But with bullies you never know- what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi

Just my $0.02

Oh wow, that was a lot of info to read at 5:30 in the morning. :) Thank you for taking the time! I guess I misunderstood when you said feed chicken and rice, I thought you meant kibble, not whole food. I guess that doesn't really matter, I would have still thought the same thing. Do you feed Baxter Tiberius whole food 24/7? I'm not sure that is something I can do right now, but it's worth looking at for sure. (cost and time wise)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh wow, that was a lot of info to read at 5:30 in the morning. :) Thank you for taking the time! I guess I misunderstood when you said feed chicken and rice, I thought you meant kibble, not whole food. I guess that doesn't really matter, I would have still thought the same thing. Do you feed Baxter Tiberius whole food 24/7? I'm not sure that is something I can do right now, but it's worth looking at for sure. (cost and time wise)

Just as long as she starts going solid, please let us know how it goes. Hugs to Khaleesi!! :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
If you start a bland diet it should not be done for a long length of time. The puppy needs certain nutrients to grow and a bland diet either of just chicken and rice and boiled beef and rice will not provide the proper nutrient. Bland diet is only meant to settle the stomach. If you are going to go raw please read the section for raw cooking. I also agree with the pumpkin puree until the poop is solid. Normally it can takes 10 days to transition to a new food. Also divide the feedings in 3 until about 6 months old.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online