Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Dog Poop Question...

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Dog Poop Question...

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Because it worked wonders for Baxter. And several here have told me that chicken/rice is exactly what is given to dogs when they have irritated digestive systems. And thirdly, the breeder randomly suggested giving him chicken as well, after he heard about Baxters 10x per day runny poops from processed kibble dog food. Also from reading that chicken/rice/potatoes is considered extremely calming digestive-wise. Also folks here have said in some threads that chicken is in fact quite good for bulldogs. And finally, the BARF diet which is, as i understand it, the gold standard for the best possible whole food healthy meal you can give an english bulldog with all their digestive issues, includes ample amounts of chicken meat, bones, and other parts.

Not sure where bully chicken allergy fits in with all of that.

I am not 100% sold that English Bulldogs have official allergic reactions to actual whole-food chicken. I could be wrong about that, but thus far I have only seen mention of "Trying the chicken flavor" in processed kibble dog food associated with problems. I have not yet (in my vast 3 weeks of being here lol ...) heard of actual chicken causing problems. And even then, I would look first at what else he is eating. Chicken allergy in general is extremely rare. I'd moreso assume there's something else setting the pup off. But again, i could be 100% totally wrong and I hope someone will correct me on that.

I give it to Baxter because I know from my own experience that chicken is the meat protein that is easiest on the digestive system in most mammals, and along with the potatoes, it solidified his poop literally immediately.

I know this isn't really politically correct to think this way here, but my personal opinion, based upon understanding of nutrition, is that pumpkin stuff does not fix any problem whatsoever. All it does is change the consistency of the poop artificially. And that doesn't address your issue at all. This is why when Baxter had diarrhea and people suggested pumpkin, I didn't bother. I knew pumpkin didn't have anything in it which was anti-inflammatory to irritable bowel syndrome or leaky gut or allergies. All it does is introduce a different texture, and make the owner feel better that the poop seems harder. The problem is still present. I knew that non inflammatory protein sources that are easy to digest would get him his nutrients without agitating his digestive system, so I switched him to a paleo-esque diet (chicken, rice, potatoes, some beef, veggies) in whole food form. Worked immediately.

Just my $0.02
    Oh wow, that was a lot of info to read at 5:30 in the morning. Thank you for taking the time! I guess I misunderstood when you said feed chicken and rice, I thought you meant kibble, not whole food. I guess that doesn't really matter, I would have still thought the same thing. Do you feed Baxter Tiberius whole food 24/7? I'm not sure that is something I can do right now, but it's worth looking at for sure. (cost and time wise)

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Oh wow, that was a lot of info to read at 5:30 in the morning. Thank you for taking the time! I guess I misunderstood when you said feed chicken and rice, I thought you meant kibble, not whole food. I guess that doesn't really matter, I would have still thought the same thing. Do you feed Baxter Tiberius whole food 24/7? I'm not sure that is something I can do right now, but it's worth looking at for sure. (cost and time wise)
    Just as long as she starts going solid, please let us know how it goes. Hugs to Khaleesi!!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

If you start a bland diet it should not be done for a long length of time. The puppy needs certain nutrients to grow and a bland diet either of just chicken and rice and boiled beef and rice will not provide the proper nutrient. Bland diet is only meant to settle the stomach. If you are going to go raw please read the section for raw cooking. I also agree with the pumpkin puree until the poop is solid. Normally it can takes 10 days to transition to a new food. Also divide the feedings in 3 until about 6 months old.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone for all of the help. I know I cannot feed a raw diet exclusively. I just don't have the time to do that right now. I can do that and/or try the pumpkin until she's solid, but after that if cutting down feeding (which I don't think is the primary issue here, but that doesn't mean I am right) doesn't work, what is my next step? Is there another Fromm's that I should try that may be better for her? Or a different brand perhaps?

ETA: Ashleym... we divide her feedings in three 4 days a week, but on the three days a week that I am away for the better part of the day, we feed a slightly larger portion twice a day. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

The Fromm you have started is an All Stage Food. Perfectly fine for ALL life stages. Jake was never on puppy food..my vet is against the high fat and too fast growth for the Bully's hips and joints. Jake started it at 11 weeks. I agree you probably just went too fast and too much also will cause the mushy poo! We are battling this right now in my daughters Shepherd pup! Who knew they are infamous for digestive problems! We put him on the bland diet for a week..settled his system and now are slowly introducing a new kibble. So far so good..just take your time..but rest assured the Fromm is just fine for your pup..

increasing her food amounts even slightly can most definitely affect the consistency of her poo. Keep it the same amounts..any increase should also be done slowly. We fed 1/2 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day until 6 months..then slowly went to 1 cup am and 1 cup PM..cutting out mid day meal.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 09-12-2013 at 01:10 PM.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Amber and Ruby get feed once in the morning and once at night. Each gets about 1 cup of food for a total of 2 cups a day. Ruby had loose stools a couple of times early on and I backed off her food, put some pumkin in it and kept her to no more than two cups a day. She is growing like a weed and possible will be bigger than Amber when it is all said and done. Good luck.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Becky and Therese! I need all of the help I can get here!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Thank you everyone for all of the help. I know I cannot feed a raw diet exclusively. I just don't have the time to do that right now. I can do that and/or try the pumpkin until she's solid, but after that if cutting down feeding (which I don't think is the primary issue here, but that doesn't mean I am right) doesn't work, what is my next step? Is there another Fromm's that I should try that may be better for her? Or a different brand perhaps?

ETA: Ashleym... we divide her feedings in three 4 days a week, but on the three days a week that I am away for the better part of the day, we feed a slightly larger portion twice a day. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

My best suggestion is stay on Fromm for at least a month its not good to switch food too many times in a short period of time. Give her the pumpkin in her kibbles or bland food until her poop is solid. Feeding a little bit more in 2 feeding I dont think is the problem because her poop is soft even when you give her 3 servings.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleym View Post
    My best suggestion is stay on Fromm for at least a month its not good to switch food too many times in a short period of time. Give her the pumpkin in her kibbles or bland food until her poop is solid. Feeding a little bit more in 2 feeding I dont think is the problem because her poop is soft even when you give her 3 servings.

Actually..we just found out the hard way...just an increase in ONE meal..can and DID cause Diaherria in my daughters DOGS poo.. We cut back to lesser amount and he was fine the next feeding. And we have tried repeatedly to increase Jake by a 1/4 cup and he immediately had soft poo.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 09-12-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Actually..we just found out the hard way...just an increase in ONE meal..can and DID cause Diaherria in my daughters poo.. We cut back to lesser amount and he was fine the next feeding. And we have tried repeatedly to increase Jake by a 1/4 cup and he immediately had soft poo.
    In your daughters poo!! The hell??? She should only have only breakfast and dinner then!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    In your daughters poo!! The hell??? She should only have only breakfast and dinner then!

Oooooooopd....forgot a very important word!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Oooooooopd....forgot a very important word!
    Sheppard ok. Sorry got concerned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads