head shakes this morning. so scary to see for first time

Cindy Coyle

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Dana
Hello Everyone...

My baby Dana is 9 months old and 64 pounds and this morning was the first time I have ever seen the head tremor. He was sleeping in his bed and I actually thought he was dreaming but when I woke him up it kept up so I went to lay down with him to be sure he was ok and when I got him up he was fine. It seemed like it lasted for hours but probably a min. or two. He went outside to do his business and acted like nothing had happen...except maybe upset with mum that she had woken him up earlier then normal. I did speak with my favorite bulldog breeder and she said so normal in bulldogs and suggested I give him protein and calcium (organic peanut butter or yogurt or cottage cheese) I will say it was the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life and I went into immediate panic mode. 6 hours later I am still walking on eggshells here. Just so scary

Danas Mum Cindy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are very scary, but know they are not in pain. as long as they respond to you and make eye contact it is just a head tremor... give a treat to distract the muscles as they chew the tremor will stop.

:hug: And, :welcome3: to EBN!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww...I can imagine how scary it is. I haven't experienced these...but many here have. I have read hey aren't serious, but still frightening. I think I have read that honey or peanut butter often helps. Others will be along to give you better info. I'm so sorry...I would've panicked too.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Consider adding healthy fats. I don't claim to know anything about this disorder in english bulldogs, but I know in humans that healthy fats are key to brain and neurological health.

Salmon oil. Fish oil. Flax oil. Olive oil. Egg yolks.

Omega 3's.

OP
Cindy Coyle

Cindy Coyle

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Dana
1186240_10151866385539976_1644096103_n.jpgthis is my beautiful boy....Love him so much !!!!!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie has tremors and seizures. When she has a tremor, I notice that carrots, something hard to bite down on work the best for her. I have tried honey, yogurt, cottage cheese, corn syrup, everything with a bit a sugar, but carrots work the best for Ruthie. Just trial and error. I have been through these since we got her about 3 years ago, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer based on my experiences and I know others will have answers too.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Do you all think maybe its a growth thing? I know their heads *literally* expand 5-10x the puppy size ... its crazy how huge the heads get. Maybe its just part of the process of growing?

OP
Cindy Coyle

Cindy Coyle

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Dana
Thank you so much everyone. I was so scared but knowing I am not alone and he is ok makes me feel better. I plan on going out tonight to buy some supplies for him to add to his food. I certainly found the right place for help

OP
Cindy Coyle

Cindy Coyle

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Dana
Let me give everyone our story behind Dana. Dana was given to my husband as a surprise. 3 years ago we lost our bulldog Roz to cancer..was awful..saddest day of our lives. In January 2012 my husband Bill was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma and after 8 rounds of chemo and a stem cell transplant in July my family wanted to surprise him with a bully for such an amazing job he did for kicking cancers butt. During his recovery at home he stressed how much he missed Roz and cancer had taken her but not him. Almost a year to the day of given the news we brought Dana home. My daughter came up with his name Dana..given to him in honor of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute where bill rec. treatment and they saved his life. : ) why this little guy is extra special to us

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Let me give everyone our story behind Dana. Dana was given to my husband as a surprise. 3 years ago we lost our bulldog Roz to cancer..was awful..saddest day of our lives. In January 2012 my husband Bill was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma and after 8 rounds of chemo and a stem cell transplant in July my family wanted to surprise him with a bully for such an amazing job he did for kicking cancers butt. During his recovery at home he stressed how much he missed Roz and cancer had taken her but not him. Almost a year to the day of given the news we brought Dana home. My daughter came up with his name Dana..given to him in honor of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute where bill rec. treatment and they saved his life. : ) why this little guy is extra special to us

So sorry for the loss of Roz...our bullies sure do touch us in ways no other breed can. GOD Bless your hubby and what a great job he did do in battling cancer. Dana sure has found herself a great home....

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
View attachment 55265this is my beautiful boy....Love him so much !!!!!

Of course you do and it's so scary! Dudley has not had them -- he's 2 -- but many people here have talked about them and I'm sure can give you some good advice. Food -- actually -- chewing, seems to help. Poor lil guy...give him hugs from me and Dudley!

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
Maggie is 2 and she started with the head tremors last week.. scared me to death... The good people on this site have really helped me to help her. Maggie's tremors last anywhere from a few seconds to 15 minutes or more.. I tried giving her treats (both sweet and crunchy) and it didn't help. She would eat it with about a second or two of a pause in shaking, then it would start right back up again. What has helped her is to spread out her food throughout the day and suppliment it with an egg, honey, yogurt, oranges and bannanas. She also gets a glob of peanut butter before bed. I think this has helped to maintain an even glucose level and metabolism rate through the entire day. Since making the changes, her tremors are less frequent and only last a few seconds. MUCH better.

Also, while continuing to research head tremors in dogs, I stumbled across an interesting side-note about how benedryl may be considered as a cause by one doctor. (of course there are many theories out there, all with valid merits).. It is the only reference to benedryl I have been able to find so far, but I am still researching.
Anyway, at the time Maggie's tremors began I was giving her benedryl at night before bed. It was not the first time for her to get benedryl. I gave it to her regularly while she went through a battle with hot spots. But this was just once at night time for seasonal allergies. Well, the last 4-5 days, the allergens aren't bothering the dogs so much so they only get their peanut butter glob with no benedryl. Except for last night. Rain has stirred up the air and all day yesterday Maggie and Christal had runny goopy eyes so I gave them both benedryl before bed. During the night, Maggie had about an episode of head tremors that lasted about 12 minutes. (her first long one in several days) That gets me really wondering. I am going to keep up the research (there is a really great article on this site btw). And I am even considering doing my own study.. just putting things all together..

I don't know if any of that helps, but good luck with your baby. He is adorable.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness... I'm so sorry to hear about your bully Roz. Your husband's story brings out the tears, my Dad battled cancer for years. I'm so glad that Dana has entered your home & brought so much happiness to your family. I have NO experience with tremors, but you are in good hands here... Sending prayers your way & keep us posted!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.