Suffering skin allergies for years

Chaleen Cropper

Sep 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
We have had Lula for 5 years and 4 of those years have been nothing but skin allergies. We have done the skin test (nothing we didn't know already), done several different medications, changed food, skin scrapings, got rid of the cat, and many more supposed remedies that did nothing. We do go through short times where she does not scratch as much. Each time we go to the vet it is the same thing, no bacteria, no mites, not fleas, no yeast, just according to the vet really bad skin allergies or go on a medication that can cause kidney failure and shorten her life. I am at my wits end, she is missing large patches of hair on her belly, chest, legs, and ears. She scratches and licks constantly! She rips open her face and I have had to spray off the side of our house because of all the blood and hair she scrapes off. I am hoping you bully parents can help me in finally getting some relief for our little girl.
CAM00075.jpgCAM00073.jpgCAM00074.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness, your poor baby!!! :( I'm so sorry, she looks miserable... My Bella had mild allergies compared to your baby, so I'm afraid I'm not much help to you. Sounds like you have done everything possible... I will tag some people that may be able to help you [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sweet girl, yes I think we can help her be more comfortable.

First question is what food us she eating now and what was the results of her skin test? How old was she when she had them done? [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can help find a good food for her.

I think she could benefit from a medicated shampoo, there is lots of good ones out there. I like the pharmaseb but it may be a bit too strong, douxo makes a good shampoo.

If she is not allergic to fish start her on salmon oil right away.

Benedryl twice a day, once in the morning once at night, 1mg per pound of body weight.

Is she currently taking any meds?

Keep her bedding clean and wash with free and clear detergents.

No treats at all until you get her on a new food, what do you give for treats?

Sorry so many questions but they are all very important!

Also have you read the article on allergies yet?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my.... So sorry for both of you! Several questions to help us get the right info to you.

what are you feeding brand and type?
where do you live?
have you tried Benedryl?
pI am thinking this is environmental..... Has the vet offered to do a full blood screen allergy test? It is not 100% accurate but does let you know what to stay away from?!

i will tag a few other members to help you as well

Last edited:
OP
Chaleen Cropper

Chaleen Cropper

Sep 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
I did read the article and started her on Benedryl. That was the first time I had heard you could use that. I haven't seen any improvement yet, but it has only been three days. We don't give treats because we have never found one that didn't make her sick (very sensitive stomach). She is currently on Activia Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato dog food. We did have her on Earthborn, but they do not carry that brand where we moved to. She sleeps with us and I use free and clear detergents (I cannot use the perfumed stuff, makes me break out). She isn't on any meds except for the Benedryl for the last three days. Her skin test was done about six months ago and there was no presence of mites or fungal infections. Nothing that alarmed the vet anyways. We have not done the blood test, but they told us to stay away from grass, certain pollens, and cats. Could moving to a different region cause her allergies to flare up even more? We moved from UT to TX last March.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I did read the article and started her on Benedryl. That was the first time I had heard you could use that. I haven't seen any improvement yet, but it has only been three days. We don't give treats because we have never found one that didn't make her sick (very sensitive stomach). She is currently on Activia Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato dog food. We did have her on Earthborn, but they do not carry that brand where we moved to. She sleeps with us and I use free and clear detergents (I cannot use the perfumed stuff, makes me break out). She isn't on any meds except for the Benedryl for the last three days. Her skin test was done about six months ago and there was no presence of mites or fungal infections. Nothing that alarmed the vet anyways. We have not done the blood test, but they told us to stay away from grass, certain pollens, and cats. Could moving to a different region cause her allergies to flare up even more? We moved from UT to TX last March.

Absolutely, Texas is much more humid and has more plant life. As bad as it looks it could be only envoirnmental allergies, but since you said she has a sensitive stomach I am willing to bet she has some food allergies too.

Would you be willing to cook for her for about a month, to see if any of her symptoms improve? I am asking because that is a great tool to eliminate possible food allergies. What do you think [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]?

I would certainly spend the money and get her allergies tested, it is worth knowing, even if not 100% accurate, but it give you some information to start with.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Totally... There are different allergens in different regions of country. Since you are one grain free... Other than fish and chicken what other proteins have you tried with her?

OP
Chaleen Cropper

Chaleen Cropper

Sep 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
We did chicken a couple of years ago, but she had a bad reaction and that is why we switched her to salmon. We haven't tried anything else though.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We did chicken a couple of years ago, but she had a bad reaction and that is why we switched her to salmon. We haven't tried anything else though.

Could be a salmon allergy. My girl is allergic to chicken and density to salmon. Might want to try a different protien

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Poor girl!! Vegas has BAD environmental allergies and all the advice above I have used. He is not 100% but he is so much better after joining this site. When his skin gets really irritated I have to bath him twice a week leaving the Pharmaseb on him so soak for 10 minutes before rinsing.

When I first joined this site Vegas had open sores and was very stinky, after a few food changes I did find one that works pretty good for him. The only treats he gets is Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt, (3x the probiotics) , frozen green beans, blueberries, watermelon, apple etc..all healthy snacks.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Another thing I just thought of...What do you use to mop with?? The skin issues looks like it is mainly chest area. Maybe what you are mopping with is aggravating her skin??

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
OK one more thing, LOL. I notice your avatar picture and Lulu is laying on carpet. Vegas was a MESS last year when I stayed at a condo that had carpet for a couple months, I ended up having to call my husband to come pick him up. He got open sores and his eyes swelled shut because the whole condo was carpeted. Here at my home we have tile in every room. Just another thing to think about.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
poor baby!
our Duke has severe allergies.. we gave up on the vet and took him to a dermatologist.. he ended up being allergic to wool. it didn't stop there. he had swollen paws, loss of hair, ripped open wounds etc.
we did put him on steriods ( low dose ) for a while , I did it so he could have a better quality of life.. we eventually weaned him off and now he takes Atopica which is expensive ( there is also a generic form) we are switching him over to.. and he is doing great. Duke takes two Zrtec every day.
Also we had great success with his coat switching to Nature's Variety Instinct. we give the canned wet and dry duck formula.
We were told when a dog has skin allergies the less you bath them the better. Don't laugh we bath Duke maybe 4 times a year.
I am happy to report after a long journey his coat looks great, his bloodwork is good and no more wounds.

Good Luck to you. its so hard when they are uncomfortable.

Love
Karen and Duke

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think you've got some great info from a top notch crew.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.