Suffering skin allergies for years

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
wow poor thing. ok youve got some good info so far. i would get some good shampoo and duoxo ps shampoo is very good for skin issues. you could try an apple cidar vinegar rinse or perhaps a lemon rinse would be better. slice a lemon and put in boiling water for a minute then turn off and let sit over night then put in a spray bottle. you may also want to get some duoxo pads to. i would also start him on some zinc for his skin 20mg for a large dog. i would also look at a good probiotic. anything to boost the immune system. vit c might help i give sarah 125mg twice a day as the effect wear off after a bit. zyrtec might be better for allergy use as its long term where benadryl will wear off in 4 hours. perhaps put a shirt on him in case he is laying on something that is bothering him. i would certainly get a blood allergy test its not perfect but a good place to start. the sensitive tummy and the things maybe a food allergy and probably environmental to. there are several limited ingredient foods you can try. zignature makes several perhaps try the lamb one. there is also natures variety limited ingredient that is at petco. finding a bullies protein then moving on from there is so important. you could try a bland diet of beef and brown rice or millet. moving can also make allergy symptoms worse as the climate is different. floor carpet just anything can cause this. i would change food or even home cook then go from there. home cooking has helped me so much with sarah. i am going to tag [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] who may have some more advice.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I dont have any advice, but wanted to wish you luck and let you know I feel your pain as we are constantly trying to identify Macks allergy issues

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Tysonbully

Sep 8, 2013
Rome, NY
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Oh, that poor baby. My pup is only a year old but it feels we have been dealing with skin issues forever. I have to say that since I started him on Evo red meat dog food, his skin & coat look a lot better. I have done a lot of research and it appears they do best on a diet as close to buffalo, elk or venison meats. This food has that. I also put 1 teaspoon salmon oil over his food every day. Who knows what the answer is, but its great to have this forum to discuss issues with our babies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm so sorry your baby is having skin issues. Lola is two and a half and we've also struggled with hair loss and licking paws and itchy toes and itchy bum. most of Lolas symptoms have improved with food changes. we ended up switching to nvi raw prepared Patties in venison and salmon nuggets that miraculously caused her giant bald spot to grow back! there is hope!! what we have now is not perfect but we are maybe a few steps away, and as some of us have said, we can do our best, and our bullies still may have allergy symptoms. i did find Benadryl helps, but possibly only to calm her into not scratching her armpits raw in the middle of the night on the Queen size bed she shares with me and my husband. :) don't give up!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
OH my... poor baby :(. You have received some great advise and suggestions. Please keep us update on how he does with the changes.

OP
Chaleen Cropper

Chaleen Cropper

Sep 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
Another thing I just thought of...What do you use to mop with?? The skin issues looks like it is mainly chest area. Maybe what you are mopping with is aggravating her skin??

We use a steam mop thanks to all of our wood and tiled floors. I was also thinking about the carpet that is in the rooms. Previous tenants had cats (we cleaned over an inch of hair off of the window sills when we moved in) and maybe there is embedded hair and who knows what else in there. The carpet is poor quality, it constantly comes up when I vacuum. Also I did change dryer sheets to the store brand from bounce to try and save a few bucks. I have noticed lately that even I am a little scratchy. I think I will switch back.

OP
Chaleen Cropper

Chaleen Cropper

Sep 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
poor baby!
our Duke has severe allergies.. we gave up on the vet and took him to a dermatologist.. he ended up being allergic to wool. it didn't stop there. he had swollen paws, loss of hair, ripped open wounds etc.
we did put him on steriods ( low dose ) for a while , I did it so he could have a better quality of life.. we eventually weaned him off and now he takes Atopica which is expensive ( there is also a generic form) we are switching him over to.. and he is doing great. Duke takes two Zrtec every day.
Also we had great success with his coat switching to Nature's Variety Instinct. we give the canned wet and dry duck formula.
We were told when a dog has skin allergies the less you bath them the better. Don't laugh we bath Duke maybe 4 times a year.
I am happy to report after a long journey his coat looks great, his bloodwork is good and no more wounds.

Good Luck to you. its so hard when they are uncomfortable.

Love
Karen and Duke

We actually only bathe her once every other month and mainly to get the extra hair off of her. It seemed that she would dry out more and the scratching would increase if we bathe her frequently. If she had it her way though she would be in water all the time, she LOVES water!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Poor Lula! You have been given great advice from some of the best. Loki went through a bad spell last year with skin allergies and food allergies. We learned that we can not use any fabric softners or dryer sheets with his "stuff". We also switched him to Nutrisource Lamb after determining that the majority of hair loss was from his food. We did the bland diet for a few weeks before switching him to nutrisource. Loki also gets rinsed off at least once a week to help with his seasonal allergies. We have come to the conclusion that he can't handle chicken or beef. He is on probiotics along with salmon oil and lots of veggies. Hope you are able to get Lula feeling better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.