Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else's bully before. I fed Bulldozer and Blossom this morning, they had their usual 1 cup kibble with 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt. As soon as they had finished, I took Dozer out for a pee and a pooh, he pooped first, which is what he usually does, and then I was waiting for him to go pee, he threw up some phlegm which had some yogurt mixed in it, it looked like it was kind of thick and he seemed to be choking a little. I sat down on the curb of my front lawn with him, and he was clinging to my leg. I opened his mouth, and looked down his throat, but didn't see anything, so I rubbed on his throat like when I get him to swallow a pill, to see if maybe something was stuck in his throat. He drooled a little tiny bit of water or saliva from his mouth, but not much, and then he seemed fine again. Has this ever happened to anyone else after their dog has eaten? Could it have happened because he ate too fast? He seems fine now, but I'm a little worried.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some bullys need a rice cake before bed at night. Buster used to do that until we started the rice cakes at night. Hugs to Bulldozer! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like he did eat too fast.... Try the rice cake at night like Phil suggested

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks guys, he's never done this before, he's 18 months old now, and has never thrown up phlegm or seemed like he was choking. It was scary and weird that this happened, I'm just keeping an eye on him to make sure his breathing is okay, but he seems okay right now. The phlegm that came up had the yogurt that he ate in it, so it was kind of thick. I wonder if he ate the yogurt too fast, and choked on it a little bit? Not sure what happened.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Hope he is okay. I bet he just ate too fast.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My vet told me that sometimes they will just vomit phlegm. I guess it's okay as long as it doesn't keep happening.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I mix the yogurt w/the kibble for Winston, because one time he did that... I think he ate too fast too!!!

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
He seems fine this afternoon, he just scared me because he seemed to be choking, and he was drooling a little and he was so clingy to me, and he kept coughing, I had slimy yogurt all over my pants, but after I brought him back in the house he stopped I did rub his neck to help anything that might be stuck in his throat go down. I have to get some lemon juice and keep it in the house. Which lemon juice does everyone use? Is it the RealLemon in the little plastic lemon shaped bottle?
Im going to continue to watch him, for signs of raspy breathing in case he inhaled some food. Thanks everyone

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We use real lemons, I don't see why you cant use that though.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours have done that before, but just occasionally, it could just be his allergies messing up. Lots of things in the air this time of year.

Most Reactions