Help Needed! Bloody, mushy stool

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie's in heat right now and at first I thought I was crazy in my half-asleep state this morning. When I wiped her after she went out to do her business, there was a bit of blood... but from her bum. Well, she just went out a short time ago, and when she came in, I noticed a streak of blood dribbled down her bum from where she'd pottied and wiped quite a bit from under her tail.

I went to inspect her business outside, and her first poop pile was mushy and it wasn't bloody until the end of her poo. She also had went a little in another area and it was all bloody poo. It's quite a bit of blood, so it is very alarming! She's acting normally, not in any distress when going, and there's no problem unless she's going. It's bright red, fresh blood, not dark like Aubrey's was, so I know it's coming from her lower intestine/rectum area. She hasn't had a lot of diarrhea recently or anything.

As long as she's acting normally and not in distress, I'm going to take her to her regular vet in the morning (our emergency vet here is horrible). What could this be? Any suggestions? Should I go ahead and start a bland diet?

Poor thing... in heat and an upset bum!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh NO... poor Aubie!!! I don't have any advice, when Bella was in heat she never had any issues like that. I would think unless it's a lot of blood that waiting in the morning would be ok! Can you talk to a vet first? At our clinic you can speak w/a vet before you rush them in. Keep us posted, sending prayers... :pray:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Poo in stool can be a sign of a minor illness/infection or something worse -most of the time its something minor,keep monitoring her ,if shes eating and drinking acting fine and gums are not pale etc,give her some cooked chicken and rice for now . also runny poo is quite common in bitches in season
It is probably the best to get her checked by the vet ,hope she feels better soon x
Keep us posted

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no sweet Aubie! I'm so glad you know not to panic right now. It could be colitis which is brought on by stress, or a intestinal bacterial infection. Which would make sense since she's in heat. Tidus did this as a younger chap whenever anyone was in heat, his poop would become bloody and mucusy for a while. I also think he was in the yard licking and sniffing where they peed, and possibly was ingesting more bad bacteria than he had good bacteria. She may have also ingested some bacteria while cleaning spots she may have left.

Eventually after talking to my vet on like the third time it happened we did 5 days of meds on him and it never came back.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Thanks guys! That makes sense, Lisa... we've come home to a naked Aubie a few times after she wiggled out of her undies and she'd been licking the spots she left. I'll have to get her some yogurt today to help with the bacteria.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.