Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Default Bloody, mushy stool

Aubie's in heat right now and at first I thought I was crazy in my half-asleep state this morning. When I wiped her after she went out to do her business, there was a bit of blood... but from her bum. Well, she just went out a short time ago, and when she came in, I noticed a streak of blood dribbled down her bum from where she'd pottied and wiped quite a bit from under her tail.

I went to inspect her business outside, and her first poop pile was mushy and it wasn't bloody until the end of her poo. She also had went a little in another area and it was all bloody poo. It's quite a bit of blood, so it is very alarming! She's acting normally, not in any distress when going, and there's no problem unless she's going. It's bright red, fresh blood, not dark like Aubrey's was, so I know it's coming from her lower intestine/rectum area. She hasn't had a lot of diarrhea recently or anything.

As long as she's acting normally and not in distress, I'm going to take her to her regular vet in the morning (our emergency vet here is horrible). What could this be? Any suggestions? Should I go ahead and start a bland diet?

Poor thing... in heat and an upset bum!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bloody, mushy stool

Oh NO... poor Aubie!!! I don't have any advice, when Bella was in heat she never had any issues like that. I would think unless it's a lot of blood that waiting in the morning would be ok! Can you talk to a vet first? At our clinic you can speak w/a vet before you rush them in. Keep us posted, sending prayers...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Poo in stool can be a sign of a minor illness/infection or something worse -most of the time its something minor,keep monitoring her ,if shes eating and drinking acting fine and gums are not pale etc,give her some cooked chicken and rice for now . also runny poo is quite common in bitches in season
    It is probably the best to get her checked by the vet ,hope she feels better soon x
    Keep us posted
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh no sweet Aubie! I'm so glad you know not to panic right now. It could be colitis which is brought on by stress, or a intestinal bacterial infection. Which would make sense since she's in heat. Tidus did this as a younger chap whenever anyone was in heat, his poop would become bloody and mucusy for a while. I also think he was in the yard licking and sniffing where they peed, and possibly was ingesting more bad bacteria than he had good bacteria. She may have also ingested some bacteria while cleaning spots she may have left.

Eventually after talking to my vet on like the third time it happened we did 5 days of meds on him and it never came back.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys! That makes sense, Lisa... we've come home to a naked Aubie a few times after she wiggled out of her undies and she'd been licking the spots she left. I'll have to get her some yogurt today to help with the bacteria.

Remove Ads