vomiting in my english bulldog...PLEASE HELP

horahub

Sep 4, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
I have had my new dog since August 23, he has been on the same food (blue buffalo grain free freedom ) since we brought him home. He had a vet check on Aug 27 where they found a parasite in his stool. They gave him Albon to take care of it. I gave him the complete dose as directed. His last dose was on Sept. 2 He started vomiting on Thursday Sept the 5. He is still vomiting with some loose stool. Can anyone please help me try and determine if it is due to the medicine, or the parasite did not get cleared up and he is worse, or if he is vomiting due to food intolerance. He vomits shortly after eating, and then again a little later to rid himself of what did not come up the first time. there is some mucous in it. He does not vomit again until he eats, and then again a bout an hour later ( which looks to be the rest of his meal.) I no he needs to see the vet, but I can't get him there until monday. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Switch him to the bland diet.... rice with ground beef or boiled chicken and see if it helps settle his tummy.

I'll tag a few others to see if they have any info on the meds

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well, I would put him on the bland diet right away, to settle his tummy. Some people say no food for 24 hours, but that's hard with a sick bully who is hungry. I like to give 6 smaller meals and lessen the stress on his tummy. The bland diet is boiled chicken or hamburger and rice. It could be the meds or a reaction to them. But I would try this to settle him down. Make sure he has access to clean water so dehydration isn't a factor. Please let us know.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you were prescribed albon for treatment of a parasite I'm going to guess it was coccidia.

Coccidia is highly contagious to reinfect your dog, meaning that his poop contains it and likely his rear end, so you should really sanitize your home as well as your yard. As well as taking all the medicine, you should immediately go back to the vet 1-2 days following for another stool sample to be sure he's all clear.

While I've never had it I know enough people who have had it and runny stool is a big symptom. I am not sure about vomiting, but that seems likely. If it was indeed coccidia, I would try to get him back to the vet ASAP as he will continue to spread it in your home and yard until its completely gone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Oh poor baby!!! I will be praying your baby gets better:pray:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You got great advice from everyone above, and I totally agree with Lisa regarding the Coccidia. The symptoms for Coccidia are diarrhea, sometimes with mucus and blood, poor appetite, vomiting, and sometimes dehydration. Since Cooper already had treatment, I would take him back to the vet and have him rechecked just to make sure it's all cleared up. Sending love hugs and prayers for Cooper that he feels better soon.

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Yes please make sure your puppy doesn't get dehydrated, he might need iv fluids if he can't drink and keep fluids down. Diarrhea can also dehydrate your puppy quick. I would call your vet and or take your puppy to emergency clinic if necessary. Keeping you little guy in my thoughts and prayers, please let us know how you make out after talking with vet. Shamrock 13 and Hooch

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
We had the same issue a few weeks ago. Vet gave her anti-nausea meds and was on a bland diet for 5 days along with meds for diarreah. Boil rice in low sodium chicken broth and boiled chicken. Hope she feels better!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston had Coccida as a young pup, it was horrible!!! In addition to his meds, we would take him in for fluid injections every day so he wouldn't get dehydrated. I agree w/Lisa on the sanitizing everything!!! I actually used a bleach solution on my entire downstairs to make sure it was clean... Praying for you guys, and keep us posted!!!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Poor Cooper! Sending prayers and good thoughts. Please let us know how he is doing!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duke just got over coccidia- took 2 rounds of antibiotics. He exhibited no signs though. Stool was normal and acted completely normal

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I no he needs to see the vet, but I can't get him there until monday. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Definitely as others have said put him on a bland diet. Make sure he has access to clean water at all times. If he isn't drinking you can add some low sodium broth or apple juice to it.

How old is he? If you have Pepcid in the house and he is less than 6 months old give him half a pill. If he is over 6 months give him the whole pill. It will help with the nausea. You can give him that once a day.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online