The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Everything has been fine in the world of Harlea for weeks now until this morning. When we woke up and took Harlea out to potty before breakfast we noticed she was limping a bit on her back right leg again. So we did the tests the vet told us to do when she was first diagnosed with Pano last month and sure enough she is a bit tender to the touch on the long bone just as she was the last time. Just to be safe we took her to the vet again and all agreed after another round of xrays that the bone was indeed inflammed again.

We knew one she was originally diagnosed that she would continue to have flare ups from time to time until she hits the age of 2. However, this got me and my wife really thinking. We went back and looked at our calendar to compae dates and the first episode last month happened the day after we gave her heartworm pill and the limping this morning started after she had her heartworm pill last night. So we are curious to if this is just a coincidence or if she may actually be having some type of reaction to the heartworm pill. We asked our vets and they didn't think it was likely but didn't rule it out entirely. She has been on Sentinal since her first dose and the first time she was perfectly fine so we are starting to get confused with trying to identify the triggers for this.

Any thoughts form my bully guru friends is greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would not rule it out, but I have no experience and if i can remember will ask my vet on Wednesday when I am there.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW that's interesting... I have nothing to add, but I hope that Harlea feels better. Can you give her anything for pain?!!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
WOW that's interesting... I have nothing to add, but I hope that Harlea feels better. Can you give her anything for pain?!!

Yeah. She is back on Taramodol and Rimadyl for a couple of days.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Poor Harlea. I hope she is back to jumping up to her spot on the couch soon. Interesting though about the Heartworm because I swear when I gave Brutus his last dose he wasn't right for about two days after. I chalked it up to my Brutus neurosis. Maybe not. I will pay attention when I give him this months dose. He is on Sentinel as well :unsure:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hmm , one of our family boxers was allergic to a heart worm medication he developed bumps and itchy skin every time he had a pill
It might be a possibility of a trigger , it is something to keep in mind ,perhaps maybe consult your vet and try to switch her into different pill
Hope your girl feels better soon , sending hugs x

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think you're only going to know for sure if it happens again next month. I wouldn't be suprised one little bit. We dose our bullies (and ourselves) with so many chemicals these days all in the name of science. But it always makes me nervous about what we really are putting in our bodies and in our furkids!! :mellow:

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I think you're only going to know for sure if it happens again next month. I wouldn't be suprised one little bit. We dose our bullies (and ourselves) with so many chemicals these days all in the name of science. But it always makes me nervous about what we really are putting in our bodies and in our furkids!! :mellow:

Thats what we are thinking as well. I really hate to put her through it again but we have to know for sure.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum isn't right for 2 days after heart worm...listless and diarrhea .. Hopefully Harlea is just having a reaction to that..that would be an easy fix.. Good luck Todd.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:(
Poor Baby... I don't use heart worm as its not YET in our area. Not looking forward to making more decisions. I hope she feels better soon..things just aren't right when our Bully's are under the weather...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Chum isn't right for 2 days after heart worm...listless and diarrhea .. Hopefully Harlea is just having a reaction to that..that would be an easy fix.. Good luck Todd.
That is exactly the reaction Brutus gets. How could it be normal?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
You know I thought the same thing about the heart worm link had his grand meals within days of his heart work since we only do seasonal doses that was his first for the season. I haven't given him his second just in case. I asked our vet and she said that some dogs do have reactions but she didn't feel that was what caused Loki's. Can you skip a month and see if there is a difference for Harlea?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.