Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 12yo Hooligan had a tremor this am

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooligan
    Likes (Received)

Default My 12yo Hooligan had a tremor this am

Hello. My 12yo Hooligan had a tremor this am. I felt his body shaking and turned on the light and saw the bobble head. In total, they were on and off for about 5mins. He didn't even know they were happening. We were lying in bed just before getting out for breakfast.

He's had them twice before and that's all....just after surgeries. I figured they were medically induced. Right now, and for the past several weeks, he is on 200mg twice a day of gabapentin and 100mg twice a day Tramadol. He cannot take antiinflamitories.

I tried to upload the video I shot to my YouTube, but it's not playing nicely. No episodes since this one earlier. Call in to vet but she hasn't called back so I don't think she's worried. The other thing that worries me, and could be unrelated, is he dropped 3lbs in a week without missing a beat when it comes to eating.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Idiopathic head tremors????

@Natalie Angstadt what surgery did he just have? I have heard of head tremors starting after surgery.

Real Name
    Nikki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    @JoeysMom

It happens to Maggie when she is over-stimulated by the thought of getting a treat. This can be shortly after she has just gulped down a bowl of food, veggies and natural yogurt. Giving her food does not stop the head tremors, but distracting her does.

So, don't immediately assume it's blood sugar level but keep an open mind that it could be something else that triggers it.

:
    Same with Mack

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My 12yo Hooligan had a tremor this am

Someone here on EBN recommended that you give them a tablespoon of honey for head tremors..Said it worked for their bully. Me, I dont have a clue.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Chumley has occasional head tremors?maybe once a week now..a few months ago he was getting them around 6 times a day after he received an unnecessary rabies shot. His aren't blood,sugar related because I can stop them immediately with a treat..just the chewing stops it..before he even swallows it so ok now it's not the fact he's getting sugar. I read most seizures occur when they're drifting in or out of sleep...or happen when given anesthesia. I'm wondering if the medication increases the tremors because they make him drowsy. 100 mg of tramadol twice a day is a lot for a human..It made me extremely tired when i took them..i would imagine it has to be having an effect on him. What is he on tramadol for?

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooligan
    Likes (Received)

He hasn't had once recently, but he had his first gastro surgery for a foreign body back around 2002. Then he had 3 in 1 week back in 2010.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooligan
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    Chumley has occasional head tremors?maybe once a week now..a few months ago he was getting them around 6 times a day after he received an unnecessary rabies shot. His aren't blood,sugar related because I can stop them immediately with a treat..just the chewing stops it..before he even swallows it so ok now it's not the fact he's getting sugar. I read most seizures occur when they're drifting in or out of sleep...or happen when given anesthesia. I'm wondering if the medication increases the tremors because they make him drowsy. 100 mg of tramadol twice a day is a lot for a human..It made me extremely tired when i took them..i would imagine it has to be having an effect on him. What is he on tramadol for?
    He can't take antiinflamitories. It's for pain and he's getting the prescribed dose approved by 3 different vets.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure the vets know. I was just trying to point out a possible reason for tremors..I weigh 200 lbs and 100 mg had a definite effect...I would imagine they would be more pronounced in a 50 lb dog.
    Head tremors are so difficult to watch..but they say they're really not painful or harmful. I'm sure Hooligan is fine! Post a pic of him if you can.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooligan
    Likes (Received)

Ok let's see if I post this right! No tremors since the episode. He has lost 3lbs in a week with no change in appetite, but we're increasing his cals to put some weight on. He's on home cooked meals using fish as a protein because he stopped tolerating chicken! We think the fish is just too lean and low cal. He loves the change!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Angstadt View Post
    Ok let's see if I post this right! No tremors since the episode. He has lost 3lbs in a week with no change in appetite, but we're increasing his cals to put some weight on. He's on home cooked meals using fish as a protein because he stopped tolerating chicken! We think the fish is just too lean and low cal. He loves the change!
    Sweet boy!! Chicken is a gamble with a lot of Bulldogs... My girl is highly allergic to it. I did good with beef and pork with her... She can not really tolerate fishes either.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooligan
    Likes (Received)

I get so scared to change things. I want to try venison or beef...but it's like, when poop is good and no pukie, i don't want to chance it.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Angstadt View Post
    I get so scared to change things. I want to try venison or beef...but it's like, when poop is good and no pukie, i don't want to chance it.
    So true, but help will be along shortly.... I tagged them to your other thread
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads