My 12yo Hooligan had a tremor this am

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Hello. My 12yo Hooligan had a tremor this am. I felt his body shaking and turned on the light and saw the bobble head. In total, they were on and off for about 5mins. He didn't even know they were happening. We were lying in bed just before getting out for breakfast.

He's had them twice before and that's all....just after surgeries. I figured they were medically induced. Right now, and for the past several weeks, he is on 200mg twice a day of gabapentin and 100mg twice a day Tramadol. He cannot take antiinflamitories.

I tried to upload the video I shot to my YouTube, but it's not playing nicely. No episodes since this one earlier. Call in to vet but she hasn't called back so I don't think she's worried. The other thing that worries me, and could be unrelated, is he dropped 3lbs in a week without missing a beat when it comes to eating.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Re: Idiopathic head tremors????

[MENTION=9826]Natalie Angstadt[/MENTION] what surgery did he just have? I have heard of head tremors starting after surgery.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack

@JoeysMom

It happens to Maggie when she is over-stimulated by the thought of getting a treat. This can be shortly after she has just gulped down a bowl of food, veggies and natural yogurt. Giving her food does not stop the head tremors, but distracting her does.

So, don't immediately assume it's blood sugar level but keep an open mind that it could be something else that triggers it.

:

Same with Mack

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Someone here on EBN recommended that you give them a tablespoon of honey for head tremors..Said it worked for their bully. Me, I dont have a clue. ;)

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley has occasional head tremors?maybe once a week now..a few months ago he was getting them around 6 times a day after he received an unnecessary rabies shot. His aren't blood,sugar related because I can stop them immediately with a treat..just the chewing stops it..before he even swallows it so ok now it's not the fact he's getting sugar. I read most seizures occur when they're drifting in or out of sleep...or happen when given anesthesia. I'm wondering if the medication increases the tremors because they make him drowsy. 100 mg of tramadol twice a day is a lot for a human..It made me extremely tired when i took them..i would imagine it has to be having an effect on him. What is he on tramadol for?

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan

He hasn't had once recently, but he had his first gastro surgery for a foreign body back around 2002. Then he had 3 in 1 week back in 2010.

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Chumley has occasional head tremors?maybe once a week now..a few months ago he was getting them around 6 times a day after he received an unnecessary rabies shot. His aren't blood,sugar related because I can stop them immediately with a treat..just the chewing stops it..before he even swallows it so ok now it's not the fact he's getting sugar. I read most seizures occur when they're drifting in or out of sleep...or happen when given anesthesia. I'm wondering if the medication increases the tremors because they make him drowsy. 100 mg of tramadol twice a day is a lot for a human..It made me extremely tired when i took them..i would imagine it has to be having an effect on him. What is he on tramadol for?
He can't take antiinflamitories. It's for pain and he's getting the prescribed dose approved by 3 different vets.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I'm sure the vets know. I was just trying to point out a possible reason for tremors..I weigh 200 lbs and 100 mg had a definite effect...I would imagine they would be more pronounced in a 50 lb dog.
Head tremors are so difficult to watch..but they say they're really not painful or harmful. I'm sure Hooligan is fine! Post a pic of him if you can.

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Ok let's see if I post this right! No tremors since the episode. He has lost 3lbs in a week with no change in appetite, but we're increasing his cals to put some weight on. He's on home cooked meals using fish as a protein because he stopped tolerating chicken! We think the fish is just too lean and low cal. He loves the change!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 136

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok let's see if I post this right! No tremors since the episode. He has lost 3lbs in a week with no change in appetite, but we're increasing his cals to put some weight on. He's on home cooked meals using fish as a protein because he stopped tolerating chicken! We think the fish is just too lean and low cal. He loves the change!

Sweet boy!! Chicken is a gamble with a lot of Bulldogs... My girl is highly allergic to it. I did good with beef and pork with her... She can not really tolerate fishes either.

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
I get so scared to change things. I want to try venison or beef...but it's like, when poop is good and no pukie, i don't want to chance it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I get so scared to change things. I want to try venison or beef...but it's like, when poop is good and no pukie, i don't want to chance it.
So true, but help will be along shortly.... I tagged them to your other thread

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Thanks everyone! I don't know about all this cool tagging functionality here. I can't even get my photos upright!

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Hi everyone....Hoolie is doing well from a gastro and no tremor perspective. He's just old and slow! Will be approaching his 13th birthday on June 4th. He wears boy pants to sleep at night and sometimes during the day if we are going to be out long or he has drank a lot of water. He's back on Rimadyl and we're managing pain with gabapentin and Amantadine (I believe that's the new one he started). He eats happily and loves his treats. We're living life day by day!

Members online

No members online now.