Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do English Bulldogs Struggle with Blood Sugar Levels?

Baxter Tiberius

Default Do English Bulldogs Struggle with Blood Sugar Levels?

Just been thinking about this lately. The numerous brain related issues. The solutions tied to sugar intake. The extreme (and i mean extreme) behavior centered around food treats (nothing is more powerful for training with these dogs) ... all seems to point to the possibility that they deal with very easily dropped blood sugar levels between meals. Does this breed have any propensity towards diabetes? The constant extreme fluctuations of blood sugar levels may lead to such things.

Either way however, the personality change from before to after meals also indicates low blood sugar. Baxter will have a positive mood swing about 15 minutes after a meal. Much more noticeable than I would expect. Almost like a newfound spice for life. Additionally I determined that his morning freakouts and almost self-destructive hyperactivity were not the result of the crate. But the lack of food. At that point he's going on nearly 10 hours of no food, and he's a complete emotional mess. The minute I feed him, he's a new puppy afterwards. Content and controlled. Happy, and calm. Sometimes even goes right back to sleep in his crate. There is no doubt to me that its food related. This all points to blood sugar levels.

Definitely thinking of giving him 4-5 smaller meals per day rather than one meal in the morning and one at night. The rule holds true for humans, I am pretty certain it would be the same for animals. 4-5 meals a day for people is ideal to maintain blood sugar levels, and avoid long term problems with insulin, etc...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do English Bulldogs Struggle with Blood Sugar Levels?

I have been wondering the same thing.. was planning to do some additional research just to see what I can find

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Diabetes doesn't seem to be any more usual in bullys than in other breeds. Keeshounds, poodles, german shephards and golden retreavers are more susceptible. Old age, over weight, too much carbs and too little exercise can lead to diabetes, also in dogs...

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Definitely thought provoking information for sure that I do not know the answer to. Harlea i would have to say is the opposite of what you say about Baxter. Meal wise there are no changes attitude or moods either before or after dinner with her and she only gets 2 meals a day. However, she does get snacks throughout the day so that may be why. Still very interesting and i would like to know more.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I haven't noticed this with Ftse and he sometimes will miss a whole day of eating and sometimes two but it would be interesting to know, keep us informed please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Puppy that age are suppose to eat 3-4 times per day. I remember another post of your about too many poops a day- feeding 2 times a day could be too much and is harder for the pup to digest. 3-4 smaller meals is easier to digest. I would cut down to 2 meals until 6 months old.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Puppy that age are suppose to eat 3-4 times per day. I remember another post of your about too many poops a day- feeding 2 times a day could be too much and is harder for the pup to digest. 3-4 smaller meals is easier to digest. I would cut down to 2 meals until 6 months old.
    Yes I completely agree with Scueva. Puppies need same amount of food just divided in more meals thru the day.

Baxter Tiberius

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Good advice. Its so funny, because the advice I've read is all over the place. I actually bought a Bulldog book written by 'experts' and they said 2 times a day. But another website (breeder) online brags that he keeps his bulldogs alive 13-16 years and suggests feeding 5x a day. Im definitely at the 3-4 times a day method from here forward. Thanks @Scueva

Kevin

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Good advice. Its so funny, because the advice I've read is all over the place. I actually bought a Bulldog book written by 'experts' and they said 2 times a day. But another website (breeder) online brags that he keeps his bulldogs alive 13-16 years and suggests feeding 5x a day. Im definitely at the 3-4 times a day method from here forward. Thanks @Scueva

Kevin

the "experts"- lol- I bought a few books too- I won't say they were useless but I would have much rather found this forum first and saved my money I spent on the books... Lol

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Interesting discussion!

I read an article in "The Bark" about the possibility of fly-snapping and obsessive licking behaviors being related to food issues also. Finding the perfect food for your pup is so important....

I'll be watching this thread.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

My Frenchie does what you are talking about, but he is just a crazy little Frenchie that has those burst throughout the day for no real reason other than he is a 'crazy little Frenchie'

When we first brought home our first bulldog, Nitschke, he was like this "morning freakouts and almost self-destructive hyperactivity were not the result of the crate." But, what we came to realize was he was being 'free fed' by the breeder and we moved him to 3x a day feeding so he was ALWAYS hungry. We started doing the smaller meals and slowly moved him back to 3x a day and then at age 1 to 2x a day.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Baxter Tiberius

The licking is *no doubt* because of the salt content on our skin. Which again implies dietary cravings of some sort.
    You know when your bully is being sweet. You get a few soft licks.
    When he's just working his way all the way down your arm, or the entire length of your leg - thats sodium craving.
    Interesting @Vicaroo1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads