Do English Bulldogs Struggle with Blood Sugar Levels?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Just been thinking about this lately. The numerous brain related issues. The solutions tied to sugar intake. The extreme (and i mean extreme) behavior centered around food treats (nothing is more powerful for training with these dogs) ... all seems to point to the possibility that they deal with very easily dropped blood sugar levels between meals. Does this breed have any propensity towards diabetes? The constant extreme fluctuations of blood sugar levels may lead to such things.

Either way however, the personality change from before to after meals also indicates low blood sugar. Baxter will have a positive mood swing about 15 minutes after a meal. Much more noticeable than I would expect. Almost like a newfound spice for life. Additionally I determined that his morning freakouts and almost self-destructive hyperactivity were not the result of the crate. But the lack of food. At that point he's going on nearly 10 hours of no food, and he's a complete emotional mess. The minute I feed him, he's a new puppy afterwards. Content and controlled. Happy, and calm. Sometimes even goes right back to sleep in his crate. There is no doubt to me that its food related. This all points to blood sugar levels.

Definitely thinking of giving him 4-5 smaller meals per day rather than one meal in the morning and one at night. The rule holds true for humans, I am pretty certain it would be the same for animals. 4-5 meals a day for people is ideal to maintain blood sugar levels, and avoid long term problems with insulin, etc...

PudgyMommy

Apr 5, 2013
Waller, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Pudge RIP, and Maggie
I have been wondering the same thing.. was planning to do some additional research just to see what I can find

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Diabetes doesn't seem to be any more usual in bullys than in other breeds. Keeshounds, poodles, german shephards and golden retreavers are more susceptible. Old age, over weight, too much carbs and too little exercise can lead to diabetes, also in dogs...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Definitely thought provoking information for sure that I do not know the answer to. Harlea i would have to say is the opposite of what you say about Baxter. Meal wise there are no changes attitude or moods either before or after dinner with her and she only gets 2 meals a day. However, she does get snacks throughout the day so that may be why. Still very interesting and i would like to know more.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I haven't noticed this with Ftse and he sometimes will miss a whole day of eating and sometimes two but it would be interesting to know, keep us informed please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Puppy that age are suppose to eat 3-4 times per day. I remember another post of your about too many poops a day- feeding 2 times a day could be too much and is harder for the pup to digest. 3-4 smaller meals is easier to digest. I would cut down to 2 meals until 6 months old.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Puppy that age are suppose to eat 3-4 times per day. I remember another post of your about too many poops a day- feeding 2 times a day could be too much and is harder for the pup to digest. 3-4 smaller meals is easier to digest. I would cut down to 2 meals until 6 months old.

Yes I completely agree with Scueva. Puppies need same amount of food just divided in more meals thru the day.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Good advice. Its so funny, because the advice I've read is all over the place. I actually bought a Bulldog book written by 'experts' and they said 2 times a day. But another website (breeder) online brags that he keeps his bulldogs alive 13-16 years and suggests feeding 5x a day. Im definitely at the 3-4 times a day method from here forward. Thanks [MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] :)

Kevin

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Good advice. Its so funny, because the advice I've read is all over the place. I actually bought a Bulldog book written by 'experts' and they said 2 times a day. But another website (breeder) online brags that he keeps his bulldogs alive 13-16 years and suggests feeding 5x a day. Im definitely at the 3-4 times a day method from here forward. Thanks @Scueva :)

Kevin

the "experts"- lol- I bought a few books too- I won't say they were useless but I would have much rather found this forum first and saved my money I spent on the books... Lol

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Interesting discussion!

I read an article in "The Bark" about the possibility of fly-snapping and obsessive licking behaviors being related to food issues also. Finding the perfect food for your pup is so important....

I'll be watching this thread.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Frenchie does what you are talking about, but he is just a crazy little Frenchie that has those burst throughout the day for no real reason other than he is a 'crazy little Frenchie'

When we first brought home our first bulldog, Nitschke, he was like this "morning freakouts and almost self-destructive hyperactivity were not the result of the crate." But, what we came to realize was he was being 'free fed' by the breeder and we moved him to 3x a day feeding so he was ALWAYS hungry. We started doing the smaller meals and slowly moved him back to 3x a day and then at age 1 to 2x a day.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The licking is *no doubt* because of the salt content on our skin. Which again implies dietary cravings of some sort.
You know when your bully is being sweet. You get a few soft licks.
When he's just working his way all the way down your arm, or the entire length of your leg - thats sodium craving.
Interesting [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It is certainly an interesting discussion. Personally, I haven't experienced any difference in behaviour from when they are fed and not fed. However, they do seem to all have an uncanny sense of time when it starts to get close to their normal dinner time!!!! :yes4:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The licking is *no doubt* because of the salt content on our skin. Which again implies dietary cravings of some sort.
You know when your bully is being sweet. You get a few soft licks.
When he's just working his way all the way down your arm, or the entire length of your leg - thats sodium craving.
Interesting [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

Except he's not licking skin. Carpet - near where he's laying. Leather couch - near where he's laying. I disagree with the behavior and eventually, he'll stop. It's that "eventually" that gets me. He must be getting something out of this behavior or he would readily stop or even be easily distracted with a toy; neither are true.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
If you notice he is happier and are able to split the meals over the day I would totally do it. I don't notice much of a difference in Loki before or after he eats but not all of the bullies are the same :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.