Demodectic mange

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
​When she went in for her Spay we also had the vet check a spot on Amy's side that had started losing hair. She is currently taking daily ivermectin doses orally and had an injection of ivermectin in Early August. She'll be checked again in another week or so, but right now the spot isn't looking any better.

I found this info on line about this and would like to share what we've learned as well as keep a record here of how Amy progresses in her treatment.

Demodectic mange is also called red mange, follicular mange, and puppy mange, because it’s most common among young dogs. It’s caused by the mite species Demodex canis. The mites resemble minute alligators when you see them under the microscope. They live inside the hair follicles of dogs.
Demodectic mange is usually the result of an underdeveloped or suppressed immune system, and has nothing to do with the condition of the dog’s housing or environment. It’s most often seen in young dogs with inadequate immune system response and dogs with compromised immune systems.
The demodectic mite is born, lives, and dies on a host dog. Eggs are laid, hatched, and mature through stages to adulthood; the entire life cycle takes about 20 to 35 days.
Demodex mites are transferred through direct contact from the mother dog to her puppies during their first week of life. The mites cannot survive off the dog, so they must move directly from dog to dog through contact. There’s no reason to treat a dog’s living space or bedding for mites, because any live mites are on the pet.
All dogs naturally carry around a small population of these microscopic mites that under normal circumstances cause no problems. Every mother dog ends up transferring Demodex mites to her litter. Most puppies have no reaction to them, but puppies with inadequate immune systems can become overburdened by mites. These are the pups who develop symptoms of demodectic mange.

Attachments

• 100_3080.jpg
    100_3080.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_3081.jpg
    100_3081.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 143

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Lari, thank you for useful info, will pray her treatment completely cures this.

GOD bless y'all!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
​When she went in for her Spay we also had the vet check a spot on Amy's side that had started losing hair. She is currently taking daily ivermectin doses orally and had an injection of ivermectin in Early August. She'll be checked again in another week or so, but right now the spot isn't looking any better.

I found this info on line about this and would like to share what we've learned as well as keep a record here of how Amy progresses in her treatment.

Demodectic mange is also called red mange, follicular mange, and puppy mange, because it’s most common among young dogs. It’s caused by the mite species Demodex canis. The mites resemble minute alligators when you see them under the microscope. They live inside the hair follicles of dogs.
Demodectic mange is usually the result of an underdeveloped or suppressed immune system, and has nothing to do with the condition of the dog’s housing or environment. It’s most often seen in young dogs with inadequate immune system response and dogs with compromised immune systems.
The demodectic mite is born, lives, and dies on a host dog. Eggs are laid, hatched, and mature through stages to adulthood; the entire life cycle takes about 20 to 35 days.
Demodex mites are transferred through direct contact from the mother dog to her puppies during their first week of life. The mites cannot survive off the dog, so they must move directly from dog to dog through contact. There’s no reason to treat a dog’s living space or bedding for mites, because any live mites are on the pet.
All dogs naturally carry around a small population of these microscopic mites that under normal circumstances cause no problems. Every mother dog ends up transferring Demodex mites to her litter. Most puppies have no reaction to them, but puppies with inadequate immune systems can become overburdened by mites. These are the pups who develop symptoms of demodectic mange.

thanknyou for the pics- here is the spot on duke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 127
OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] That sort of looks like hers did at first except her skin never really looked that pink. Only a scrape by the vet is going to give you answers on exactly what it is. Could be the start of a hotspot, or a bit of dermatitis from a seasonal allergy too.

HRH had a rash on one of her paws a couple years ago that sort of looked like that too and it was something that they gave us an antibiotic cream for and it cleared right up.

They sure love to keep us on our toes.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
@Scueva That sort of looks like hers did at first except her skin never really looked that pink. Only a scrape by the vet is going to give you answers on exactly what it is. Could be the start of a hotspot, or a bit of dermatitis from a seasonal allergy too.

HRH had a rash on one of her paws a couple years ago that sort of looked like that too and it was something that they gave us an antibiotic cream for and it cleared right up.

They sure love to keep us on our toes.

i know- I'm going to try to make a visit this Friday- he needs another fecal for coccidia and I have a feeling that he still has it and that could be why his immune system is down.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

I'm not sure who said it but someone on here said tea tree oil shampoo helps with that.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duke woke up with another red spot on his leg this morning- we are going to the vet tomorrow. [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] did they did Amelia? [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] do you have any experience on this field?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Duke woke up with another red spot on his leg this morning- we are going to the vet tomorrow. @LariP did they did Amelia? @Davidh do you have any experience on this field?

could be from the anitbiotics and meds from other issues, also it's been a hot one this year and wet in lots of areas of the country too so seasonal allergies are really crazy this year. Are you giving a probiotic suplement, you may want to try. I've been supplementing with a "C" tablet and Zinc tablet as soon as I think something is about to erupt. and we've been pretty good since the spring. Also a gentle shampoo (not oatmeal) rinse real good and then the vinegar rinse 1 gal water to 1 cup white vinegar. This is what I use. Just saying :whistle:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
could be from the anitbiotics and meds from other issues, also it's been a hot one this year and wet in lots of areas of the country too so seasonal allergies are really crazy this year. Are you giving a probiotic suplement, you may want to try. I've been supplementing with a "C" tablet and Zinc tablet as soon as I think something is about to erupt. and we've been pretty good since the spring. Also a gentle shampoo (not oatmeal) rinse real good and then the vinegar rinse 1 gal water to 1 cup white vinegar. This is what I use. Just saying :whistle:

All mine get a probiotic- they were on nuvet but we ran out- they were also getting an acciphidopholus pill- also needs to be restocked- they get apple cider vinegar and coconut oil.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
well those are all good things. let me know what the vet says, keep us posted. thank you Scueva

OP
L

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] did you mean to say dip? If so the answer is no. Our vet recommended the ivermectin regimin over the dips. He said they will recommend a dip if it's a broad area, but since Amy's is just on her side he preferred this course.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Like [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said, it could just be allergies. The Demodectic mange lives on every dog, and their immune system keeps it in check. When a dog's immune system gets weak for whatever reason the mange and get out of control and then you have the spots. Getting the immune system back in good condition helps and usually the mange is treated with an antibiotic and a locale med.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] - what do you recommend as immune system booster? I'm going to order some hardy pet vitamins(jus ran out of nuvet) I really think duke battling coccidia these past couple months is the cause of his immune ssystem being compromised.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] you can give a spoon full of yogurt everyday, but I think you are doing that already, plus the HardyPet Complete once a day will help too. Any time they are on antibiotics it will also kill the good bacteria in them as well. The yogurt should help with this.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Bella had it on her head, it looked terrible but we got it treated and gone!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online