Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My bully also has idiopathic epilepsy

It makes me sad to see this! Loki is also on medication for seizures he is currently on phenobarbital twice a day 60mg per does and has been now for almost 3 weeks. Have they tried just the pheno alone? I have heard some people saying that the potasium could be also causing an adverse reaction. The side effects at first were really hard to deal with (tiredness, wobblyness, even more stubborn) but now it is hard to tell that he is even on medicine! There are a few kinds of seizure from my understanding as we are new to this as well, there is a "smaller seizures" that last a few seconds generally no foam but can sometimes lose bowels or bladder, "Grand Mal" that is the scary one and how we figured out Loki had a problem. That one can last a while, cause a higher fever and loss of bowels or bladder, temp loss of vision and focal or visual seizure that can be seen such as fly biting or head shaking usually leg lifts too. There is probably more that I am missing since we are relatively new to this. As with humans it is really hard to say if it will turn into more then just the fly biting. I would recommend limiting the space that he has to roam around during the day also if you have stairs try and avoid him going up and down them when he is alone. Here is a link to Vegas's story that Cheryl sent me when we first figured out that Loki was having seizures Cheryl did a great job at documenting everything. Hopefully it can help some.
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article: Head Tremors in English Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by BullyLove143 View Post
    No I've never seen him have a seizure. He has had some accidents on the sofa where he sleeps but I assumed that was due from the massive amounts of water he drinks. When your dog has a seizure, is he usually unconscious?
    Oh ok you had mentioned he had break through seizures so I was wondering! Brutus was concious but not sure he was aware of what he was doing! He did pee during 1 episode and the other 2 he just was shaking uncontrolable. A month or 2 later is when the fly biting started and it is considered a partial seizure but our vet told us its not enough to warrant having him on seizure meds! we were told to distract him with something! I am wondering if you could take some videos of when he has the fly biting episodes? There is a difference with seizure and fly biting ... There are also head tremors, bubblegum fits where they are licking constantly! If you do a search on EBN there are some videos of fly biting, seziures, and head tremors.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Also epilepsy is when dogs are having seizures not fly biting episodes
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

I just realized I never put the link in. Sorry about that here you are http://specialneedsbulldogs.com/cont...t-TheVegasShow

Bulldog(s) Names
    Douglas
    Likes (Received)

Do you think the food they eat plays a part?

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Have they run a recent blood panel to check his potassium levels? And protein levels? Food could play a part in it I guess it is so hard to say since they can't tell us what is wrong. I was trying to see if you had a video of him doing it? We go for Loki's panels on 9/11 I could show his vet and see what she thinks about them. I was trying to find his food info, age basically history but I am not seeing it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pudge RIP, and Maggie
    Likes (Received)

When Maggie fist started with head tremors, I freaked out... not at the episode, but at the sudden onset and frequency.. It was at least 3 a night and 3-4 a day, all lasting 5-15 minutes. At first I thought it was a focal motor seizure. Then after some more research, I started to lean more towards head tremors. This site has a ton of info on head tremors. I couldn't afford to take her to the vet and logged on here to find her a new home.. quickly, so she could see a vet and get help.. I was ready to give her up to save her... But the good people on this site have helped immensly and things are looking much better. I was able to get her to the vet with the help of some co-workers. They have no clue what is causing it and say her blood work is normal (I'll pick up the results tomorrow and post them)..

Here are the things I tried that helped Maggie..
    Spread out her food throughout the day. Suppliment with honey eggs and bannanas. (all in an effort to keep her blood sugar and metabolism on an even ride thoughout the day)
    Extra hydration (but you already said he drinks massive amounts of water)
    Maggie has not had an episode lasting more than a few seconds since the changes.. and they were very mild.

Also, the fact that he drinks "massive" amounts of water makes me wonder about a blood sugar issue. I know that in people, excessive thirst and frequent urination are often signs of diabetes... just a thought..

I am still very new to teis issue (as it has been less than a week since Maggie's first episode) and she has head tremors, not fly biting or seizures... but, you will find that there are a wealth of people on here that have more knowlege than you could hope to find anywhere else... good luck to you and your baby!

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Do you have any updates on Douglas?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Douglas
    Likes (Received)

Yes, my update on Douglas. Better late than never right. He's current on 30 mg of Prozac and is going to university of penn in Philadelphia. Their behaviorist there worked with us and believes it to be a behavior issue.

Sent from Stephanie and Dougie

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BullyLove143 View Post
    Yes, my update on Douglas. Better late than never right. He's current on 30 mg of Prozac and is going to university of penn in Philadelphia. Their behaviorist there worked with us and believes it to be a behavior issue.

Sent from Stephanie and Dougie
    ​Thank you for update...prayers for all...GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads