General Question Vulva discharge (Sally)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I was curious if any other female bullies have this problem, especiallly senior bullies and/or overused breeder bullies.

I picked Sally up off the couch last night and she was damp. She lays on a blanket and that was still dry. I inspected her and she had a slight white drip coming out of her vulva. It wasn't pee it was whitish. This morning when she got up and then stretched she had a 2" white thick consistency white stringer hanging off her vulva.

Is this normal for older female bullies?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Re: Leaky Vulvu (Sally)

I'm trying to remember if I have ever seen this from Lucy or BeBe, but I just can't remember. I thought I saw that on Lucy once, but could be mistaken, but I think about a year ago Lucy did that and it never did it again. Maybe just a discharge from when she was spayed. When did she get spayed?

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She was spayed on April 2nd, a month before we got her. I've seen little white spots on her blanket but didn't pay much attention to it until yesterday.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Bella had a discharge for awhile after she had her pups... Kinda off and on for several months.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Jeannie, I found this article in one of my many files, it hasn't happened to any of my females that I remember, but thought maybe you can get something from it.

My 11 year old female, spayed dog was laying peacefully on the floor. When I bent down to pet her, I discovered a puddle of liquid on the floor under her hindquarters. It did not smell of urine, but there was a very mild odor and it was clear. I lifted her tail to see where it could have come from and it seemed to come from her vagina. The opening seemed very expanded, but not dilated. Her appetite is good and her bowel functions are fine. Is this an age-related issue or something requiring immediate medical attention?"

Answer: It may be both of the problems mentioned; age-related and something requiring medical attention. In the female dog, the urethra and vagina open in a common area, called the vestibule. This area then opens to the exterior, called the vulva.As female dogs age, urinary incontinence can result, especially in spayed females, due to lack of the hormone estrogen. If your dog is leaking urine, this may be what you are seeing, although an examination by your veterinarian is still in order to confirm, as a concurrent urinary tract infection is possible.
In an age-related incontinent dog (versus a congenital problem), muscles and sphincters aren't as "tone" as they once were, and urine leaks a bit into the common vestibule area. The urine may pool there, causing a "dilated" appearance. This stalled urine can lead to localized infections and may ascend up into the bladder, causing a urinary tract infection. As the dog gets up/lays down, a small pool of urine may be released.
In addition to loss of tone in the urogenital system, diseases such as diabetes or kidney diseaseoften lead to increased urination (and thirst), exacerbating the urine pooling and potential urinary tract infection problem.
I recommend making a geriatric exam appointment with your vet for a physical exam, to check the urine, and bloodwork to make sure that there aren't any other or additional disease issues to deal with. Your veterinarian may order additional screening or diagnostic tests.
Hopefully, this is a case of "simple" incontinence and can be managed with medication to help tone the muscles for better urinary control, such as phenylpropanolamine (PPA) and/or provide hormonal support (Incurin).
For more information, here is a good article from Washington State University Veterinary Sc

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherry, thanks for that info. When I had her at the vet a few months ago (not for her toe) we talked about her potting. She gives no signs that she has to potty and will just squat inside if she can't get out. At the time I contributed that to her prior history and lack of training. Her vet was telling me about a medication, if needed, that helps them with their incontinence. Since I've noticing more spots, it might be time for me to revisit this with her vet soon. I sure don't want her to get a UTI. Nope. The stringer took me by surprise and if I could have taken a pic I would have.

Thank you ladies, and gents.
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.