
First I want to say Hello and Welcome to EBN Karen and Bella. You've come to the right place for all your questions. I've learned so much for my two babies on this site, and hopefully I've been able to help out other members with their questions. I don't see a picture of Bella, but if she is white in colouring like my female Blossom is, then yes it is normal for them to often be pink in colour, one reason is because they are white and their skin shows through their fur easier than a darker coloured bully. Also it is true that if they have been outside for a longer time period on a hot or humid day, they will turn pink from the heat. My male Bulldozer will also get really red eyes but no goop from playing hard, or after exercise, but it goes away after a few minutes of rest, the vet says this is normal. I find Blossom who is also allergic to a lot of things like chicken, salmon, grains, and we suspect corn, she often gets a pink face, pink chin, and chin acne, she will also get warm pink ears, and one other way you can tell if there are allergies is if they lick or chew their paws a lot, and if they are itchy. The goopy eyes can also be a sign of allergy symptoms. Most allergies in bulldogs are food related, which brand of food are you feeding Bella? A lot of bulldogs are allergic or sensitive to chicken. We switched our two guys to Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and they are both doing really well on this food, no more allergy symptoms or problems. Fromms has a Puppy formula as well, and since Bella is only 15 months old and still a puppy, it's best and recommended to keep them on a puppy formula, as puppy food has the extra calories, vitamins and minerals for the rapid growth and development of a growing puppy. As a puppy she should be eating 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, morning, afternoon, and evening. When she is about 6 or 7 months old, you can switch her to an adult food and also eliminate the afternoon feeding, and feed her 1 cup of kibble twice a day, once in the am, and once in the pm. We feed our guys who are 18 months old at 6:30 am and again at 6:30 pm.
Blossom also developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, we opted to wait until she was spayed to have the eyes repaired at the same time, so we could do both surgeries at the same time. Cherry eye is quite common in breeds with a flat face such as the EB, boxers, and pugs, these are called Breaphealic breeds. These breeds can also have breathing problems, and these two things are common to them, but I don't know if it is considered a genetic defect, since these are common problems in this breed. I'm not sure what is considered a common defect, and which is considered a genetic defect, and which are covered under the health guarantee with your breeder. You would have to read your agreement and see if cherry eye is covered or not. One breeder may cover it, and another may not. You can always phone your breeder and let her know about Bella's allergies and her cherry eye and tell her you're not interested in your money back, or a new puppy, but ask her if she would be willing to help you out with some of the surgery costs. All she can say is no. My male Dozer developed a severe underbite at 5 months old after a growth spurt, his jaw was normal when I bought him. His lower jaw grew much longer than his upper, and as a result he can't fully close his mouth, and his tongue hangs out most of the time. He also eats a lot slower than his sister because his top and bottom teeth don't meet together, and he's genetically missing some molars on the bottom as well. This is considered a genetic defect, but there isn't anything we can do for him other than do a big reconstructive surgery on his jaw, which would involve breaking his jaw, cutting the bone and shortening his jaw and then putting screws in to reattach it. He would also have to have his jaw wired shut, and then he would need braces to line up his teeth. I wouldn't put him through all that, and he doesn't have any problems eating, and he's not in any pain, so I will leave it. I figure God made him that way, and he looks so cute with his teeth sticking out on the bottom with his reverse fangs, and his tongue hanging out gives him character. I love him just the way he is. I did call the breeder not to ask for any money towards Blossoms cherry eye surgery, but just to let them know of the defects in their puppies, because they should be made aware of this for future breeding of their dogs, and should not breed them anymore if they continue to have puppies with these problems. We have PetSecure insurance for both our guys which we took out when we bought them, and they cover 80% of the vet costs for exams, vaccinations, surgeries, medications, and illnesses, which definitely helps out with the cost of vet bills. Bella's problems are both minor problems that can be corrected with a good quality dog food for the allergies, , and if she does have cherry eye it also can be repaired. If she is healthy otherwise these things aren't major issues, or dangerous to her, but are common traits in our babies and we are aware of these problems in the EB breed when we decide to love them. I knew when I decided to buy an EB that they had many health problems, and allergies, and breathing problems, and that they could also develop hip and joint problems as well, but I still opted to own one of these beautiful animals because I truly love the breed. I decided right away that I would get insurance, to help with the vet bills, and I did it early so that if these issues did come up then they would be covered. If you wait until health problems occur, then some things such as hip Dysplasia will not be covered in your policy. But if you get insurance from a young age then most of the time depending on the insurance company and your level of coverage these surgeries will be covered. Like I said phone your breeder and ask her if she would be willing to help offset the cost of any surgeries she may need, all she can say is no. Good luck with Bella, and she is a beautiful girl. Keep us posted on what your breeder says if you decide to ask her, and if the vet says she has cherry eye or not. Take care Hun, and sending love, hugs and prayers that everything works out for you, and Bella continues to be healthy.