General Question stenotic nare surgery ?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My 16 month old male ebd seems to have a problem breathing through his nose.. It whistles at times and most of the time he pants thru his mouth but I am wondering HOW would one know if your ebd NEEDS this surgery? I talked to my vet regarding this and ofcourse they want to do the surgery. I asked HOW do you know he needs it and she replied O I can hear him now.. Well all bulldogs breath like my baby does but how do I know if he really needs it or if my vet is just surgery happy ? Thanks Hero

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If you can hear him and it whistles at times, I'm pretty sure he needs the surgery. I would ask your vet how many of this type of surgery he has done and is he a good bully vet. If not find a good bully vet that has done this type of surgery and he should do fine.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You could always go to another vet for a second opinion. It is a big operation so you should be 100% confident in having it done!

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks I am fairly confident that my vet is ok to do this kind of surgery. I do not know thou if they should just do this or his pallet at the same time.. I have learned that most vets are just money hungry ( at least the 3- I have had) but I do want to do what is BEST for my baby.. Someone told me that if you can see the sides of his nose suck in when he breathes ( the sides of his little nose) that - that is a sure sign he may need it... He got thru an extensive surgery to make an opening to pass stones with these same people so I feel ok with them doing it.. Its just they would do it for the money even if he didn't need it and I do not want to do any unnecessary surgery''s. I wish I had a good bully vet that was honest and for those of you who do. consider yourselves lucky because I haven't a clue as where to find one... Thx Hero

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hopefully Leslie and Kelly can point you in the right direction on a good bully vet in your area.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you can hear him and it whistles at times, I'm pretty sure he needs the surgery. I would ask your vet how many of this type of surgery he has done and is he a good bully vet. If not find a good bully vet that has done this type of surgery and he should do fine.

[MENTION=5372]hero4u[/MENTION] ^^^^ agreed! I had two bullies that had this surgery, it was very necessary and I noticed a difference in their activity level after recovery. I hope you can find a good Bulldog vet for a second opinion

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I don't know any vets in the So Fl area, however if you contact Buddies Thru Bullies, the rescue down there, I am sure they can suggest a vet and give advice, they have all kinds of surgery experience and their volunteers are awesome.

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. Trupanion pre approved everything but in the mean time I wrote to the breeder where I purchased Buddy and she went on to say usually these things show up when a puppy is very young 2-3 months ( ??) and she also said they use the laser to do the pallet because they can bleed to death if not done correctly. She asked me to ask my vet if they could just TRIM the nose and skip the pallet.. I already received the approval like I said but now I am rethinking everything. I wanted to do this BEFORE Trupanion had a chance to cancel me or refuse renewal of my policy because these are 2 of the most common things I have read about. Also Buddy does whistle at times thru his nose and of course he snores but I think most bulldogs do.. The bottom line is I am not going to let them do any unnecessary surgery's and definitely do not want to put Buddy thru any more than he has already been thru with these vets. I am seriously going to ask my vet or any vet that treats Buddy for now on that when they take him in back like for a fecal.. That I want to be with him.. I can almost guarantee that if I bring him in they will tell me he needs this done. Vets have made me extremely vary and now I try and research everything I can online before hand and Thanks I am aware of the Bulldog rescue group down south of me.. They are in Broward county..

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Thanks everyone. Trupanion pre approved everything but in the mean time I wrote to the breeder where I purchased Buddy and she went on to say usually these things show up when a puppy is very young 2-3 months ( ??) and she also said they use the laser to do the pallet because they can bleed to death if not done correctly. She asked me to ask my vet if they could just TRIM the nose and skip the pallet.. I already received the approval like I said but now I am rethinking everything. I wanted to do this BEFORE Trupanion had a chance to cancel me or refuse renewal of my policy because these are 2 of the most common things I have read about. Also Buddy does whistle at times thru his nose and of course he snores but I think most bulldogs do.. The bottom line is I am not going to let them do any unnecessary surgery's and definitely do not want to put Buddy thru any more than he has already been thru with these vets. I am seriously going to ask my vet or any vet that treats Buddy for now on that when they take him in back like for a fecal.. That I want to be with him.. I can almost guarantee that if I bring him in they will tell me he needs this done. Vets have made me extremely vary and now I try and research everything I can online before hand and Thanks I am aware of the Bulldog rescue group down south of me.. They are in Broward county..

i say have the nares done and while your pup is under anesthesia, the vet can check the palate. have them do the palate while he is under if he needs it. the vet won't know until he gets up in there but if you want to improve breathing and both need done, why not just help a little bully out? Lola had both done at the same time but if the vet thought otherwise then just the nares would have been done. she also had the saccules trimmed in the throat. she breathes much better and i worry way less about her.

also the stitching method of surgery instead of the laser is still used..even on Lola a few months ago by best surgeon in Toronto. it depends on the preference of the surgeon but i did hear laser heals faster.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.