Tonka minor flea problem.

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
After a visit to the dog park, I noticed a few fleas on Tonka. Used the flea comb on him and managed to remove MOST of them. But I'm sure there are more somewhere. I couldn't find anymore using that comb. Probably the last time I'll be at that dog park. I know fleas are not around my yard, he stays inside almost all the time at the moment because of the hot weather. My neighbor dogs has no fleas. I live in an apartment complex and my neighbor walks his dog at the same area I do. And his dog is flea free. So I'm almost positive it's the dog park. My question now is, is there ANY natural flea shampoo I can use for Tonka? I know our EBD has sensitive skin, so I'm afraid to try anything for the first time. Or should I just continue with the comb everyday and remove them slowly? I would hate to take him to the vet for such a small problem.

Thanks again for your help.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I haven't had this problem but a friend of mine went and got advantix applied it to the pups and they went away! Give him a good bath with regular wash and then apply! She said it worked for her pups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I use Dawn original dish liquid to rid them of fleas. It penetrates the fleas natural oil, and they die. Then you have to put something on them to KEEP the fleas off. I've had no problem with the dawn, but don't know about dogs with extremely "sensitive" skin.

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I haven't had this problem but a friend of mine went and got advantix applied it to the pups and they went away! Give him a good bath with regular wash and then apply! She said it worked for her pups

Im afraid to use advantix, been hearing mix reviews about them.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Im afraid to use advantix, been hearing mix reviews about them.

Really... Yikes! I have been using it on my pitty for a couple years and Brutus since he was 6mnths! Never had any issues! I have heard negative things about frontline! Thanks for the heads up! Where we lived and live now there are lots of stray cats and such so I have to put something on them! I like the dawn dish soap idea and that should work but you will need a preventative as well :) Let me know how it goes :)

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I use Dawn original dish liquid to rid them of fleas. It penetrates the fleas natural oil, and they die. Then you have to put something on them to KEEP the fleas off. I've had no problem with the dawn, but don't know about dogs with extremely "sensitive" skin.

What did you use to keep them off? I've used water that has been left over night with lemon slices and a little apple cider vinegar. And dawn? Hmmm, I'm not sure how sensitive my bully is. I was thinking of getting sentry natural defense flea shampoo, it has a lot of natural ingredients. But it was scented. Is it still safe you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What did you use to keep them off? I've used water that has been left over night with lemon slices and a little apple cider vinegar. And dawn? Hmmm, I'm not sure how sensitive my bully is. I was thinking of getting sentry natural defense flea shampoo, it has a lot of natural ingredients. But it was scented. Is it still safe you think?

http://www.sentrynatural.com/products.html#shampoo

The original formula Dawn is as good as any flea shampoo and much less
expensive, I use on my cats too as it is gentle on skin. Years ago, we had
a very bad flea infestation (my one & only) and I had 3 big dogs that came
in every day in the summer. My cat was 7 yrs old and never had fleas, she
was freaking out! Vet rec'ced Frontline, I treated all (said it's safe for kittens
& nursing cats)...she almost died, clung to life for 5 days...NEVER AGAIN
used poisons.

Food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) sprinkled thru their fur (do not breath in
or let them, apply neck down, avoiding head) put 1 teasp in food, sprinkle on
bedding, around doorways, front & back porch, etc.

Also, yes, steeped lemon slices boiled in water, left overnight, strain & put in
sprayer...apply. Sage leaves boiled down, same thing. 1 Garlic clove (1/2 clove
for 30 lb & under) minced finely and added to daily meal 1& daily will help keep
fleas off, can boil a clove w/lemon water too & apply as well to skin. Never apply
straight garlic to skin as it might burn sensitive skin, tea tree oil also needs to be
diluted.

If really problems in yard, buy nematodes at yard & garden centers, apply to lawn.
They EAT fleas!

Avoid Frontline & Trifecta for sure IF you do use the poisons but on cats & bullies, I'd
try everything else before going this route...GOD bless!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Aside from Dawn you can also use food grade DE. Dust it on their coat keeping it away from their head and eyes and gently rub it in. It is like billions of little razor blades cutting up and dehydrating the fleas as they touch the skin. Be sure that neither you or your pup inhale it as it can cause major respiratory problems. You can also mix it in their food and it will take care of intestinal parasites as welll.

Whoops I am a day late and a dollar short as Carol beat me to it. :)

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

The original formula Dawn is as good as any flea shampoo and much less
expensive, I use on my cats too as it is gentle on skin. Years ago, we had
a very bad flea infestation (my one & only) and I had 3 big dogs that came
in every day in the summer. My cat was 7 yrs old and never had fleas, she
was freaking out! Vet rec'ced Frontline, I treated all (said it's safe for kittens
& nursing cats)...she almost died, clung to life for 5 days...NEVER AGAIN
used poisons.

Food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) sprinkled thru their fur (do not breath in
or let them, apply neck down, avoiding head) put 1 teasp in food, sprinkle on
bedding, around doorways, front & back porch, etc.

Also, yes, steeped lemon slices boiled in water, left overnight, strain & put in
sprayer...apply. Sage leaves boiled down, same thing. 1 Garlic clove (1/2 clove
for 30 lb & under) minced finely and added to daily meal 1& daily will help keep
fleas off, can boil a clove w/lemon water too & apply as well to skin. Never apply
straight garlic to skin as it might burn sensitive skin, tea tree oil also needs to be
diluted.

If really problems in yard, buy nematodes at yard & garden centers, apply to lawn.
They EAT fleas!

Avoid Frontline & Trifecta for sure IF you do use the poisons but on cats & bullies, I'd
try everything else before going this route...GOD bless!

garlic? correct me please. but i read somewhere that garlic is dangerous for our bully's. or can I just use it to spray?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Really... Yikes! I have been using it on my pitty for a couple years and Brutus since he was 6mnths! Never had any issues! I have heard negative things about frontline! Thanks for the heads up! Where we lived and live now there are lots of stray cats and such so I have to put something on them! I like the dawn dish soap idea and that should work but you will need a preventative as well :) Let me know how it goes :)

I've used Advantix 2 on 2 pugs and 2 Bullys and have never had any negative reaction and none of my friends have either. Buster has never had a flea that I know of, I check him constantly especially now in the summer time when he goes to the playground and the water park. :D

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
garlic? correct me please. but i read somewhere that garlic is dangerous for our bully's. or can I just use it to spray?

Garlic CAN BE dangerous in large quantities for dogs, the amt I gave you, 1 clove once daily
is safe, I feed it as well as thousands of fellow dog owners. It is a very effective internal
parasite killer as well as repelling fleas from the smell the skin gives off. It also strengthens
immune system...fleas, ticks, mites, etc tend NOT to be attracted to animals w/a healthy &
functioning immune system. Same w/avocado, a small amt of the flesh is fine (skin & pit are
not) and I fed a bully a avocado based kibble that did wonders for his skin & coat.

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

Garlic CAN BE dangerous in large quantities for dogs, the amt I gave you, 1 clove once daily
is safe, I feed it as well as thousands of fellow dog owners. It is a very effective internal
parasite killer as well as repelling fleas from the smell the skin gives off. It also strengthens
immune system...fleas, ticks, mites, etc tend NOT to be attracted to animals w/a healthy &
functioning immune system. Same w/avocado, a small amt of the flesh is fine (skin & pit are
not) and I fed a bully a avocado based kibble that did wonders for his skin & coat.

Thanks for all your help! A lot of information. :-)

OP
jdotlim

jdotlim

Jul 4, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

this article is kind of scary.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Exactly what I was going to write .. we use that in Rescue!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.