Help Needed! anyone experienced prostate problems with their Bully

lisa gerhardt

Jul 25, 2011
little rock, arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoney LaRue
typoi have an adult male bully that is having symptoms of prostatitis, just started a couple of days ago, i noticed he was a bit constipated he is restless and not resting as usual, he has a low grade temp, this am, his appetite is good he is drinking plenty of water, no discharge from penis but his anal area is a bit swollen but no odor and anal glands checked out fine, last year about this time he had a bout of same issues his Vet did exam and anal glands were good but he did have tenderness and pain when she did internal exam, his labs were good but urine had bacteria and round of antibiotics and some meds for pain cleared him pretty fast. he had hypothyroid disease due to immune issues he is a rescue and i have had him since July 25th of 2011 he had demodectic mange but after almost a year of treatment he beat that! he has skin allergies that require cortisone shots but only seasonal and every 2 months or so, he is not neutured due to his health issues his Vet elected not to, he was 18 mo to a year at time of rescue, he is a big bully, he weighs 72 pounds, he is on thyroxine and takes benadryl, i have him on Fromm 4 star and rotate duck and salmon , dry of course, i am giving as much info as i can so you guys have the facts can't see Vet until Tuesday due to labor day, he is my world and i want to keep him safe and well so if you guys can give me tips on diets, herbs, i know he is in pain after all we ahve been thru i know him well and he trusts thaty i will make him feel better so he just looks at me with certaintity i can and when i can't it brealks my heart, his other symptoms are bulleted and highlighted below!! thanks from me and Stoney LaRue
  • abdominal discomfort
  • stiff gait
  • weakness
  • lethargy
  • straining to urinate or defecate

Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Lisa, I have nothing to offer...I know someone will be along soon who can help. I just wanted to offer my support. I know how horrible it is when they hurt and you want to help, but don't know how. Sending hugs, prayers and good thoughts from me and Dudley for you and Stoney LaRue!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko has had prostatitis and was given antibiotics and Ypozane to shrink his prostate. Unfortunately I have no idea what could help your boy, other than pain meds at this point. Don't you have an ER vet where you could go. Prostatitis can be really painful.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Nothing to add unfortunately, just sending wells wishes to you and Stoney LaRue (love the singer too by the way :))

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
typoi have an adult male bully that is having symptoms of prostatitis, just started a couple of days ago, i noticed he was a bit constipated he is restless and not resting as usual, he has a low grade temp, this am, his appetite is good he is drinking plenty of water, no discharge from penis but his anal area is a bit swollen but no odor and anal glands checked out fine, last year about this time he had a bout of same issues his Vet did exam and anal glands were good but he did have tenderness and pain when she did internal exam, his labs were good but urine had bacteria and round of antibiotics and some meds for pain cleared him pretty fast. he had hypothyroid disease due to immune issues he is a rescue and i have had him since July 25th of 2011 he had demodectic mange but after almost a year of treatment he beat that! he has skin allergies that require cortisone shots but only seasonal and every 2 months or so, he is not neutured due to his health issues his Vet elected not to, he was 18 mo to a year at time of rescue, he is a big bully, he weighs 72 pounds, he is on thyroxine and takes benadryl, i have him on Fromm 4 star and rotate duck and salmon , dry of course, i am giving as much info as i can so you guys have the facts can't see Vet until Tuesday due to labor day, he is my world and i want to keep him safe and well so if you guys can give me tips on diets, herbs, i know he is in pain after all we ahve been thru i know him well and he trusts thaty i will make him feel better so he just looks at me with certaintity i can and when i can't it brealks my heart, his other symptoms are bulleted and highlighted below!! thanks from me and Stoney LaRue
  • abdominal discomfort
  • stiff gait
  • weakness
  • lethargy
  • straining to urinate or defecate

OH MY,,, well IMO it may be worth starting him on some cranberry tablets, put a teaspoon of ACV in one meal a day, maybe a warm compress on his bum to do a little drainage. a dollop of some yogurt on one meal a day won't hurt. and how about bottled water? I'd say it's worth a shot

OP
lisa gerhardt

lisa gerhardt

Jul 25, 2011
little rock, arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoney LaRue
thanks to all for your input! Saw Vet today, got antibiotic and pain meds, he is better! over the weekend i got some NaturVet cranberry relief and after one day of this he felt some relief,some pumkin and yogurt added to diet and he is no longer constipated and that helped as well!
God Bless!
Lisa and Stoney

Most Reactions