Possible UTI

Bbbimaj

Jul 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Boss has some small traces of blood in his urine today, again!
So, about two weeks ago, I took him to the vet at Banfield, I HATE Banfield!!!! They took a sample and said there was no trace of anything but gave me some antibiotics for him anyway, cepha...something. So, I thought, everything would be fine. Well, it was, until today, I saw a trace of blood in his urine today!
So the question is, can I give him Ciproflaxin? I have some already at home. I looked up on the Internet to see if it was safe for dogs . Everything I read said it was. Just wanted to know if anyone has had to use it before. Boss is about 8 months now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would certainly find another vet. There could be another reason there is blood, like stones for example. Especially since the first culture they did was clean. I hate that they prescribed antibiotics with no valid reason to do so- time for a new vet!

Something just doesn't sit right with me on this.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Lisa, the vet shouldn't have prescribed antibiotics, if there wasn't any infection, as overuse of antibiotics can cause super bugs, and also yeast problems. I'm not sure what else could cause blood in the urine, other than what Lisa said, kidney stones. It might warrant a second opinion or more tests by a vet. Do you use Cranberry pills for Boss? We give a cranberry pill to our guys everyday to prevent urinary tract infections, plus it's a great antioxidant. Hope Boss feels better soon, and you can figure out what's causing the blood in his urine. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Boss that he gets better soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Well did they do a full culture with sensitivity testing and grow a bacteria? This is a must or urinary issues- I simple urinalysis won't cut it. A culture is about $160 as a opposed to a urinalysis is about $40.

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My male ebd has had multiple UTI's and blood was in his urine as well. They did culture sensitivity tests also. It usually takes 2 rounds ( 2- 2 week antibiotics to kill a UTI) The antibiotic is expensive as well It was called clavamox. I thought he was done with them and then after he was nutered at 15 months he had another one.. He would mark everywhere and then one day I was bending down to see if he was even urinating and low and behold he was not.. Just dribbling urine no stream was so ever. I brought him back in and he was obstructed with stones to be more precise they were cyrstals which came back as Cystine. He ended up having a surgery which now my baby has a opening so he can pass these in the future.. It was hell on him and me. He was hospitalized for 9 days and was here still really ill for about a week to 10 days and the surgery was $2600.00 in all.. I have Trupanion so it paid for most of it but I thought I was going to loose him.. Good luck.. UTI's can be common in several dog breeds and well as male cats. Research all you can.. There are various types of stones. And I believe most vets are thieves and have had several.. The best thing I did was to get health insurance for my bulldog..and ofcourse reaserch.. Hero

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have no idea about the ciproflaxin. But I agree with the others .......... definitely time to see another vet!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Boss has some small traces of blood in his urine today, again!
So, about two weeks ago, I took him to the vet at Banfield, I HATE Banfield!!!! They took a sample and said there was no trace of anything but gave me some antibiotics for him anyway, cepha...something. So, I thought, everything would be fine. Well, it was, until today, I saw a trace of blood in his urine today!
So the question is, can I give him Ciproflaxin? I have some already at home. I looked up on the Internet to see if it was safe for dogs . Everything I read said it was. Just wanted to know if anyone has had to use it before. Boss is about 8 months now.

where do you live? see if we have a vet near you that one of our other members can recommend to you.
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with others that it's time to see another vet. I would not give him any unpriscriped drugs or cranberry for that matter. If he has other than struvite stones they will not do any good, just make it worse. Until you now what is wrong and what causes the blood in his urine you really shouldn't medicate.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.