Antihistamine Options and Dosage?

EmmaOnDuty

Aug 21, 2013
Kentucky
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma Blue
I read the wonderful article on allergies and see that you can give other antihistamines besides Benadryl. Benadryl is working for Emma, but I feel like maybe something else would help her more. She tends to scratch her face on the furniture, her eyes are a bit red and her lil nose runs, usually in the evenings. It was way more frequent until I started the Benadryl, so I figure it's more than likely allergies and probably environmental, but keep thinking a different med may help more. Anyone have any advice on what works well for them and the dosage? Thanks! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i have given sarah zyrtec. my vet said one pill a day and sarah is 47 pounds. i would give 1/2 am and 1/2 pm but i know some who have given more. i have also used claritin. same thing 1/2 am and 1/2 pm if needed. i have also given chlorphenaramine. i think i used the 4 hour kind and 1 pill am and 1 pill pm but not sure didnt use that long. i think zyrtec works good for hives and runny nose. you can also give 1/2 zyrtec and then 1 benadryl later if that doesnt do it. my vet said it was safe and i have done this with sarah before. the claritin was ok but what works for one wont always work the same for another.

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
I was wondering what else I could use as well. All benadryl seems to do for Daizy is make her sleep. I am new to enviro allergies as this is our first year in the country and Daizy is rubbing her face on everything and anything...AARRGGHH!!! I was also thinking of adding local bee pollen or honey. Anyone have any experience with that? Thanks for the question and thanks for the responses. Kind of feel like I am living at the vet lately...lol

OP
EmmaOnDuty

EmmaOnDuty

Aug 21, 2013
Kentucky
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma Blue
Awesome info! I'll make a note of all that...I'd especially like to try the Zyrtec! And to Daizy and Dukes mom, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to figure this out :) The Benadryl may make Em sleep more, too, I'm not sure. She sleeps quite a bit, but as we've dealt with food and yeast issues, she seems to have more energy. But, off the Benadryl, she may be a firecracker, who knows!? I would love to try to get input from here and do some ressearch and maybe do an article about antihistamines and dosages...seems like it would be helpful... :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online