Help Needed! Mila is sick again, REALLY high white blood cell count

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mila is sick again. She keeps getting sick, this is the third time in a few months. Her left eye starts to roll back into Her head (may just be the covering moving up). This is followed by her losing her energy just laying on the couch with her eyes open. We have to feed her crushed ice to keep her hydrated. She is normally our crazy little white dog (AKA flying squirrel). She just spent 3 weeks on high doses of steroids and 5 weeks on a heavy dose of antibiotics. Her white blood cell count is currently 24,000. 15,000 is considered really high. Has anyone else come across these symptoms? She has already spent time in the hospital. And went through over $2,000 worth of testing. Blood tests, X-rays, ultrasounds, tests for tick born diseases and autoimmune diseases. Everything the vet could think of. Any ideas?

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
Re: Mila n keeps testing sick,REALLY high white blood cell count

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I just wanted to say I hope you find answers soon and Mila feels better.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Alas, I'm out of my league too but will start praying for your precious bully.

GOD bless you & your Vets with fast answers & even faster recovery.
:pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Wow I really have no idea either. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Have they ruled out cancer? Maybe [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] has some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
gobronco

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno

Can't rule out cancer but at just over a year it is unlikely. Btw the thread should have read Mila is sick again. Friggin IPad likes to add letters and change words. At the moment she seems better,probably the 40mg of steroids. Our vet said take her off of the steroids so he can see, touch and feel her if she starts showing symptoms again. He is the type of vet that sits on the ground and touches them to try and feel what is wrong with them. The last two times she got sick were on his days off. At the moment she is on a steroid high at the flying squirrel stage. We will see wht the next few days bring.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie

Poor Mila - and poor you. So, so hard when they are sick. I hope you get some answers quickly -- and most important -- that Mila starts feeling much better soon!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

Oh my, that sounds just awful for you and Mila. I'm afraid I don't have any experience, but for sure she has some kind of serious infection or something going on. I hope the vet finds out soon what is wrong and that they make her well again.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I haven't a clue what may be going one and hopefully someone will come along that may be able to provide some direction. In any event I hope you find out what is wrong soon so Mila can start feeling better soon.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I have no idea either other than what google shows, which pops up bone marrow and spleen and dehydration. I hope Mila is able to get on the right track soon.

I fixed the title for you too.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh no i hope you can get to the bottom of it. does sound like some kind of infection with a count that high. will be praying for you and your baby.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I am so sorry you and Mila are going through this, it must be so worrying. I also don't know what it could be, other than a high white blood count usually is an indication of an infection, or it can be cancer like leukaemia. I hope the vet is able to find out the cause of the high white blood count, and that it's nothing serious and Mila gets better soon. Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way that everything is okay. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Last edited:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Praying for you and Mila. Hope she gets better soon!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm no help either, and the only person I can think of that may have a suggestion would be [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I just wanted to send hugs and bully kisses for a speedy recovery

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.