Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: itchy welts

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sampson
    Likes (Received)

Default itchy welts

-- I have a 5 month old English bulldog. 2 nights ago I discovered bumps all over him (head, face, neck, all over his back, tummy, EVERYWHERE), his fur was raised, and when I looked closer, I noticed that he has a yellow dried substance on some of the raised bumps. I thought they were hives because they made him itch so bad. I have also noticed that his smell has changed. Hes also losing fur, mostly from his back due to all the bumps on it. hes getting some bald spots for so much hair loss.
    -- I gave the vet a brief history of the things I have done for him in the past month:
    1.played in new area outside a day or two before bumps showed up, (he got muddy and I ended up having to give him 2 baths to get all the dirt off him)
    2.in the process of switching from royal canin bulldog food to grain free blue buffalo
    3.started him on coconut oil (which had wonderful results immediately).
    Sometimes he gets a small tummy rash, but I rub some coconut oil on it and it is gone by the next morning.
    -- well I took him to banfield pet hospital today, and they said they saw fungi spores and yeast in the skin sample they took from him.
    after telling her the months history with him, she immediately said that grain allergies were not real and keeps trying to keep me on royal canin saying its the best food ever for bulldogs.
    I truly believe that she was lying to me about the grain allergies, just so she could keep promoting royal canin and keep me from finding another brand.
    what is your opinion about pet grain allergies? is it real or not real?
    -- second, coconut oil is amazing and I have seen it heal his skin. she shoots it down right away and says that it will feed the bacteria, yeast, etc. I know for a fact that it is anti microbial. its anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal because of the lauric acid.
    could you give me your opinion on using coconut oil on pets?
    -- third, they prescribed my dog antibiotics. antibiotics do not help with fungi or yeast right? I really feel like I am getting ripped off by banfield. I truly want what is best for my puppy, I just feel like I need a second opinion, this last visit has me really doubting the vets at banfield pet hospital and i feel like im getting ripped off. -- fourth, could the welts simply be allergies that bulldogs get? does anyone have any advice as to how I can treat or soothe his skin?
    Attachment 53687 Attachment 53688 Attachment 53689 Attachment 53690

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default itchy welts

I would get a second vet opinion , on the end of the day royal canin is full of fillers (grain) that don't benefit our dogs (allergic or not) as much as a grain free dog food does
    Can i ask what meds where you prescribed? Did they prescribed you medicated shampoo?
    Maybe a picture of her skin and rash would be a good idea to post it here -it is difficult making judgments without seeing the dog ;-)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sampson
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: itchy welts

-img_7311-1-jpg -img_7307-1-jpg-img_7313-1-jpgwere actually in the process of changing him over to blue buffalo grain free puppy food. hes at 50/50 of each right now. they gave me anti fungal shampoo and antibacterials. which I don't understand why they gave him the antibacterials if he has yeast. its cefpodoxime proxetil 100 mg

Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Im no expert by any means but this looks to me like a food allergy -shy had exactly same bumps on her
    Is he itching constantly ? X

Shy & Lilly

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sampson
    Likes (Received)

hmm, do you think he could be allergic to the new food were giving him (blue buffalo grain free). hes been eating if for almost a month now

Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Do you give him something else besides god food? If its grain free i dont think it migt be food allergy-but if be get any treats i would cut those out and wait and see
    But again im no expert (ps shy is allergic to grass too ;-) ,my best advice is try and find a vet that is experienced in bulldogs ;-)

Shy & Lilly

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sampson
    Likes (Received)

we give him green beans and his regular treats. im just waiting for them to finish so I can find healthier ones. I also give him coconut oil in his food and topically. it helps with the tummy rashes he gets and also helps with his stinkiness lol. we don't give him anything else. unless he found something and ate it without us knowing?

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Banfield really isn't the best place in my opinion. I would find a vet that is knowledgeable in bulldogs and doesn't just "go by the book". I had to take duchess to banfield once and that's the feeling I got from them. The doctor was a recent grad- was purely "by the book" and kept try to tell me a raw diet wasn't good for bulldogs- mine are raw fed- and that royal canin was designed specifically for them and was the best. Also she kept trying to push the health plan they have. Too much of a sales process for my liking. I'm in sales by profession so that should give you an ideas how bad of an experience I had.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Oh ya- did I mention I was there for an eye infection!

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I would get a second opinion as well as find a new vet that has a lot more bully knowledge. For them to tell you grain allergies are fake is a load of garbage as many members here can attest to. What is the protein in the new food you are switching to? If it is chicken or any kind of poultry that could be the culprit as many bullies are allergic to chicken and or other poultry. Heck it could even be a reaction to the current food as it can take up to a month for it to be out of their systems.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

When I was a kibble feeder I considered blue buffalo and was told it was too rich and could was the runs- most people here that don't feed raw have good luck with fromms

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    sampson
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Banfield really isn't the best place in my opinion. I would find a vet that is knowledgeable in bulldogs and doesn't just "go by the book". I had to take duchess to banfield once and that's the feeling I got from them. The doctor was a recent grad- was purely "by the book" and kept try to tell me a raw diet wasn't good for bulldogs- mine are raw fed- and that royal canin was designed specifically for them and was the best. Also she kept trying to push the health plan they have. Too much of a sales process for my liking. I'm in sales by profession so that should give you an ideas how bad of an experience I had.
    Yeah that's how they made me feel! Kept pushing things on me! I totally lost any and all trust in banfield. My dog has a two week follow up..and after that, I'm never going back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads